• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Quiet Place
2 2

34 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, NewEnglandGothic said:

Now, time to watch “____ Blockers.”

Do we have a thread for that one?

Despite some raunchy jokes and swears, I thought it was pretty earnest with a rather thoughtful cast.

The girls were about as perfect as you could get  in their roles, but the real surprise on how well Jon Cena had excellent comedy timing.

Three out of four stars.

59 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Oh. I thought this was going to be another thread about the boards. 

It's an easy fix.

Study each section on how it's managed by it's various posters.

I don't think interest is gone in the discussion of funny-book properties, but a clash of different personalities.

When a poster can't get a word in edge-wise for a discussion, they just quit, as this is just a comic forum and not one's life, as possibly some make it out to be.

My 2c 

I’m disappointed with myself that I didn’t see this in the theatre. 

My boys saw it and were very enthusiastic about it. Even though I hate jump-scare movies and “be quiet” looked like it could present some potential logic problems, the premise really intrigued me. 

I really wanted to see it on the theatre, both because it seemed like that would be the ideal way to experience it, and because I wanted to support a movie that was a bit different for the typical cookie-cutter summer fare. 

But I just never got around to it. The wife and I haven’t seen a movie in the theatre since Thor: Ragnorok. 

I thought the lapses in logic were only minor and more deliberate.  You could see similar ones in the best Hitchcock movies as well.  It's something they will never be able to create for an atmosphere in a sequel.

Plus, it's something the audience felt like they discovered (The Sixth Sense.) 20 years from now, these people will still be watching with their kids.

20 minutes ago, NewEnglandGothic said:

It's an easy fix.

Study each section on how it's managed by it's various posters.

I don't think interest is gone in the discussion of funny-book properties, but a clash of different personalities.

When a poster can't get a word in edge-wise for a discussion, they just quit, as this is just a comic forum and not one's life, as possibly some make it out to be.

My 2c 

You're not wrong. Just like life really - a handful of people souring it for everyone while those in charge stand idly by. It's rare a thread reads as a good natured exchange of views. Someone always has to be in charge and have the last word. Bit of a turn off isn't it.

Must go see this film. Looks promising.

On 4/19/2018 at 10:56 PM, Fan Boy said:

I had seen the movie with friends.  Overall, it was not bad. I do agree with some of you about story plot gaps or holes. I can see that from the beginning to end. The special effects was ok. But some of you commented about “stupid” characters in there. Sorry to see that but you had no idea how huge the movie is with the young actress - Millicent Simmonds. She is Deaf by herself in real life, same as me. It is quite rare that I see someone do acting in a movie. The other actors, however was a bit static with their signs. I understood they are actors and likely had short lessons to learn enough to do in filming. 

Not easy to master the language, it can take up to 3-4 years. 

I am teaching ASL (American Sign Language) courses at the local community college for 12 years. Averaged 12 out of 20 students are continuing to take more sign language courses plus deaf events they must interact with the deaf people or ASL fluent people. You can learn less a year if you keep up with it everyday.  It is a visual language - even you don't remember what to sign for a word. You can use the gesture or fingerspell.

What I thought about that movie?  It reminded me of War of the Worlds (original: Bacteria killed Aliens. That movie: Static upset Aliens).

Edited by JollyComics

3 hours ago, JollyComics said:

I am teaching ASL (American Sign Language) courses at the local community college for 12 years. Averaged 12 out of 20 students are continuing to take more sign language courses plus deaf events they must interact with the deaf people or ASL fluent people. You can learn less a year if you keep up with it everyday.  It is a visual language - even you don't remember what to sign for a word. You can use the gesture or fingerspell.

What I thought about that movie?  It reminded me of War of the Worlds (original: Bacteria killed Aliens. That movie: Static upset Aliens).

Yes, that is correct in what you said. It does take a lot of efforts to master that language. Not like someone can easily learn a foreign language by sound while listening a tape in sleep or whatever.  I help interpreting students in training at my booth in comic book shows, they loved the challenge to be a good interpreter.

This is what I thought simlair to your thoughts about the movie. Bit like the classic War of the Worlds with a different take. I was surprised when they announced a sequel to follow up A Quiet Place. They said it would be e a prequel? hm

1 hour ago, Fan Boy said:

Yes, that is correct in what you said. It does take a lot of efforts to master that language. Not like someone can easily learn a foreign language by sound while listening a tape in sleep or whatever.  I help interpreting students in training at my booth in comic book shows, they loved the challenge to be a good interpreter.

This is what I thought simlair to your thoughts about the movie. Bit like the classic War of the Worlds with a different take. I was surprised when they announced a sequel to follow up A Quiet Place. They said it would be e a prequel? hm

That ending made me wondering what happens in the prequel but I heard that John Krasinski's last acting in that movie and focuses on his family.  Maybe he writes the new screenplay while he stays home with his family. Who knows?

On 4/15/2018 at 11:45 PM, Jaydogrules said:

Saw it yesterday.  

If you saw The Descent and Signs, you saw this.  

Not completely bad, but tons of gaping wide plot holes, serious gaps in logic and lots of stupid character decisions to drive a very thin plot. Definitely a Redbox rental.  

-J.

Concure 100%... hated it.  

Tell you one thing though... I would be dead on day one the way I snore at night

nice I thought it was a ok movie. I heard from rumors that john krasinski might show up.. I am guessing maybe as a flash back or something, but those were long time ago rumors.