• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC 9.6 Wolverine #1 with missing corner chip?

3 posts in this topic

I'm hoping to get some educated opinions on this......I recently came into possession of a Wolverine #1 (1982) CGC 9.6. The entire book looks pretty solid with the exception of a missing chip on the back cover, about 1/8" (see pics).

What's your opinion on this flaw? Would also like your opinion on why CGC graded this at a 9.6......could it have happened during the encapsulation process? I haven't encountered missing corner chips that much, so I have a difficult time spotting which missing chips are acceptable vs. others.

Most importantly, do you think this book stands a chance at staying 9.6 if it's re-graded? I was hoping to get this book signed and slabbed again at some point, but now am not so sure. This book was graded in January 2018 if that helps. Thanks!

IMG_20180407_123202 - Edited.jpg

IMG_20180407_123212 - Edited.jpg

IMG_20180407_123311 - Edited.jpg

Edited by Cringer
clarification

I understand that sometimes "bindery chips," -- i.e., chips from rough cut corners during production process -- will get a pass. This appears that it may be that type of chip. That said, it is a bit extreme. I'm surprised a chip this large, regardless of origin, could get a 9.6.

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 8:57 AM, Mr. Zipper said:

I understand that sometimes "bindery chips," -- i.e., chips from rough cut corners during production process -- will get a pass. This appears that it may be that type of chip. That said, it is a bit extreme. I'm surprised a chip this large, regardless of origin, could get a 9.6.

I'm not surprised. I've seen it many times on 9.6s and on any corner. I imagine the 9.6 is contingent upon it being the only flaw, the rest of the book sans any other tangible defect.