• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pressing & cleaning question
1 1

5 posts in this topic

I'm going to send this out for a press. Its a marvel tales #53. The bottom section of the back cover (under the JSCA scissor cut line) has some darkening or discoloration. The closer you get to the bottom edge the darker it is. The same dynamic is present with the inside pages. The rest of the back cover is bright white. There's also some dirt spots on the right edge but I'm pretty sure that could be addressed with the pressing. I tried my best but due to the lighting i can't show it too well in these pictures but you can still see it a bit. 

I don't know how much the pressing process could get rid of that darkening? Assuming it won't improve that much, how would this discoloration effect the grading? Would it reflect on the overall grade of the book or just on the page quality?

Many thanks in advance to anyone that responds.

IMG_20180403_171449.jpg

IMG_20180403_171623.jpg

IMG_20180403_171717.jpg

Pressing or even dry cleaning won’t lessen the dark area of the book. Could be foxing, a dust shadow or tanning. CGC will give the book a hit any of them, how hard depends on the extent of the discoloration. 

40 minutes ago, joeypost said:

Pressing or even dry cleaning won’t lessen the dark area of the book. Could be foxing, a dust shadow or tanning. CGC will give the book a hit any of them, how hard depends on the extent of the discoloration. 

Looks more like a mild, gradient toning to me, gradually progressing from light to dark from the central area outward, as is typical of Silver age toning, And as you already pointed out, something that pressing won't lessen or rectify. .

1 hour ago, joeypost said:

Ok thank you. I think it might be tanning since the inside pages are the exact same way. Would the hit be on the overall grade the page quality or both?

10 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

Ok thank you. I think it might be tanning since the inside pages are the exact same way. Would the hit be on the overall grade the page quality or both?

The issue is on the actual cover, so it would be a grade hit.