• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Cap #3 the Action #7 of it's title run ?
1 1

86 posts in this topic

38 minutes ago, Primetime said:

First round shield on the 2 is getting more attention and rightfully so. 

Do you know if CGC notes that on the label ?  I like the fact that Stan's first work for Timely is on #3 and much more prefer the cover but first round shield should probably trump both of those ? (combined with second appearance)  

2 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

3 is in way more demand than 2. Had a dozen plus folks ask about cap 3 this weekend. Not a soul asked about a 2

Confirmed by recent CC auction:

Cap 2 CGC 7.0 CR-OW $18,100

Cap 3 CGC 6.5 CR-OW $55,500

I was pretty shocked to see a slightly lower-grade copy of 3 sell for three times the price of the 2.

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

I was pretty shocked to see a slightly lower-grade copy of 3 sell for three times the price of the 2.

cap 3 cover much cooler than the #2 cover 

2 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

Do you know if CGC notes that on the label ?  I like the fact that Stan's first work for Timely is on #3 and much more prefer the cover but first round shield should probably trump both of those ? (combined with second appearance)  

No on cgc, but Overstreet noted it in their price listing a few guides back after I suggested it in my report. 

3 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

:whatthe:

If I could only have one I’d prefer a Cap 2.  More historically significant imo.   2nd appearance, 1st round shield, nice Joe Simon cover.  

3 is the first Schomburg Cap cover, and first Red Skull cover, better cover for sure.  

I think it’s best to own both  #2 and #3!

#3 is way more in demand but I think #2 is somehow undervalued.

4 hours ago, Knightsofold said:

If I could only have one I’d prefer a Cap 2.  More historically significant imo.   2nd appearance, 1st round shield, nice Joe Simon cover.  

3 is the first Schomburg Cap cover, and first Red Skull cover, better cover for sure    

I think it’s best to own both  #2 and #3!

#3 is way more in demand but I think #2 is somehow undervalued.

I would add that the first work of Stan adds a HUGE boost to #3. I know you know that as a Timely master yourself but just for those watching and learning I think aside from the cover (it is one of the best Timely covers all around) that the Stan notation is Monumental to its value. 

Cap 3 is Legit and still affordable but slowly crawling away into the etherspere of unobtainable for many. At this point I wouldn’t be suprised to see a correction upwards for the #2 as well but the market is proving #3 is the book everyone wants and there just aren’t enough to meet the demand 

16 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

Saw a boardie's Cap 3 pick up this weekend at C2E2--I've always thought the above---agree/disagree ??  State your love for Cap 2 over Cap 3 ??

I saw that comic also and now I must have one! Congrats to the owner. Always encouraging to see the younger people keeping this hobby healthy. 

I've always thought that Cap's facial expression on #2 looked very "awkward".  I don't know how else to describe it but it doesn't seem to fit - for all of the wrong reasons, my eyes always go to Cap's face whenever I look at that cover.  

#3 has much more going for it - 1st Red Skull cover; 1st Schomburg cover; Stan's first work.

6 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

I've always thought that Cap's facial expression on #2 looked very "awkward".  I don't know how else to describe it but it doesn't seem to fit - for all of the wrong reasons, my eyes always go to Cap's face whenever I look at that cover.  

#3 has much more going for it - 1st Red Skull cover; 1st Schomburg cover; Stan's first work.

Haha I actually feel the same way.  I thought I was the only one.  Doesn't look like Cap at all, more like a spy in a Cap costume :p

1 hour ago, Dark Knight said:

Haha I actually feel the same way.  I thought I was the only one.  Doesn't look like Cap at all, more like a spy in a Cap costume :p

I too have always thought the same thing as well, the face proportions are all off.

captain_america_no2.jpg

6 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

Captain America 4 has the 3rd round shield and the first time cover use of the phrase "Come on, Cap!".

Good point. The phrase "Come on, Cap!" stuck throughout the series. Also, the monster Gorro in the 4 is a prototype of the creatures Kirby would draw in all those pre-hero Marvels.     

It’s too bad the Red Skull didn’t have more cover appearances.

Besides Cap #3 and 74 I think Young Allies #1 and 4 are my other top Red Skull choices. I think many of the early Cap covers were boring until he hit his 20’s or 30’s run in the series.