• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GA Sales and Circulation Question

16 posts in this topic

I think there was a thread some time ago about but I could not find it.  I am curious who the top publishers of the GA were based on sales and circulation.  I checked Comichron but it only goes back to the 60s.  Interested only in a publisher's comic book sales as some like Fiction House published pulls or Ace and their paperback books.

Not looking for actual numbers just a ranking.  I also realize it could vary by year but maybe cumulatively from 1939 through 1945.  Not even sure if my request makes sense ?

I would guess DC would be #1 and Fawcett #2?

Factual data, educated guesses, shots in the dark for a top ten ranking.

On 4/10/2018 at 7:04 PM, MrBedrock said:

I think Dell was #1

Even during 1939-1945?  I know they had a huge circulation during the 1950s.  I seem to remember reading that, at its peak in the 1950s, WDC&S was selling something like 4 million copies per issue.

15 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Even during 1939-1945?  I know they had a huge circulation during the 1950s.  I seem to remember reading that, at its peak in the 1950s, WDC&S was selling something like 4 million copies per issue.

The high circulation in the 50s makes sense.  Both Mickey Mouse Club and Wonderful World of Disney tv shows debuted in 1955 and 1954.  And every other comic save DC and Classics was being burned by Werthamites :nyah:

20 minutes ago, telerites said:
15 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

The high circulation in the 50s makes sense.  Both Mickey Mouse Club and Wonderful World of Disney tv shows debuted in 1955 and 1954.  And every other comic save DC and Classics was being burned by Werthamites :nyah:

I think demographics played a role as well, with the first wave of baby boomers hitting the prime ages to read funny animal books. 

Another point occurs to me wrt the effects of Wertham:  Presumably, newsstands in the 1950s had for a couple of decades been devoting substantial space to comics.  With whole genres disappearing, sales of many DC and Atlas titles falling off, the disappearance of Fawcett after they settled the suit with DC, EC abandoning comics, and St. John closing, Dell may have been able to expand into the newly available shelf space.

I don't know how important that was, but it seems to make sense that it may have been another factor helping Dell reach such a large circulation.

11 minutes ago, Microbia said:

How did Dell manage to escape the CCA?  Were their books just “too wholesome“? 

Here's a thread from a few years ago.  Note the circulation number mentioned in the Dell ad. 

18 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

I seem to remember reading that, at its peak in the 1950s, WDC&S was selling something like 4 million copies per issue.

From Funnybooks - The improbable glories of the best American comic books by Michael Barrier (2015) - Page 297 -

"As Western's comic books flourished in the late 1940s and early 1950s, WDCS was easily the most successful, accounting for about 10 percent of all the Dell comics printed. The print run - the number of copies on which Western paid a royalty to Disney - crested at 3,038,000 copies with the September 1953 issue [1]. The figures for the Dell line as a whole were no less impressive: an in-house publication said that year that "we create and manufacture no less than 375,000,000 comic magazines annually, at the current rate of 30,000,000 or more per month, or about 1,400,000 to 1,500,000 every working day."[2]"

[1] - Malcolm Willits, "George Sherman: an interview with another one of the 'Men behind the Mouse'", Vanguard (a comic book fan magazine published by Robert Latona), 1968, p. 34.

[2] - Those figures are in a "Family Day" program for Western's Poughkeepsie plant, undated but datable through internal evidence to 1953. Thanks to Dana Gabbard for providing photocopies of two such programs, both originating with the Poughkeepsie Public Library.

Going back to the late '40's, here's the info I could gather from Barrier's book -

Page 164 - "By 1947, Western Printing was paying Walt Disney Productions royalties  on more than two million copies of WDCS every month. Most remarkably, hundreds of thousands of those comic books were going to mail subscribers who sent K.K. Publications a dollar for twelve monthly issues. "At its peak," the Western executive Howard Anderson wrote, "we had over 400,000 paid subscribers to Disney Comics, ran a direct mail campaign every fall using a self-mailer with only full cash payment up front and felt that any mailing not generating a 3 percent pull" - about twice a typical return rate for direct mail - "was unsuccessful!""

Page 166 - "Dell had published only one Donald Duck one-shot each year from 1942 to 1946, but for 1947 there would be three. The print runs, which had hovered around a million copies of each issue, began to rise as the nagging postwar paper shortages finally began to ease: for the first 1947 issue, Four Color no. 147, Western Printing paid royalties to Disney on more than 1.2 million copies."

Page 192 - "The number of copies [of WDCS] on which Disney received royalties - the number of copies printed - ranged in the course of the year [1950] from 2.5 million to 2.875 million, with the high figure for the August 1950 issue, the low for the November 1950 issue."

Page 192 - "The figures for Donald Duck showed a similar patterns with summer print runs higher. Print runs for that title actually rose in 1951, to well above two million copies per issue [..]"

5 hours ago, Scrooge said:

From Funnybooks - The improbable glories of the best American comic books by Michael Barrier (2015) - Page 297 -

"As Western's comic books flourished in the late 1940s and early 1950s, WDCS was easily the most successful, accounting for about 10 percent of all the Dell comics printed. The print run - the number of copies on which Western paid a royalty to Disney - crested at 3,038,000 copies with the September 1953 issue [1]. The figures for the Dell line as a whole were no less impressive: an in-house publication said that year that "we create and manufacture no less than 375,000,000 comic magazines annually, at the current rate of 30,000,000 or more per month, or about 1,400,000 to 1,500,000 every working day."[2]"

That's staggering.

So I was googling this exact question and came up with this thread.  Scrooge gave tons of information, but I'm not sure if this has the information asked contained within it and there is too much for me to go through to determine if it does.  Did anyone use this to figure out the OP question?  In the early days  ('38-'45) I assume DC was #1, was Timely #2?  Dell?  Quality?  Fawcett?

Edited by thunsicker