• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Yep, we are in the 1990's collectibles pre-crash
2 2

101 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, FineCollector said:

There's only one copy, so there's that.  I don't know what 1 of 1 cards sell for normally, but if nothing else, it's advertising for the store.  Baseball collectors are nuts anyway, remember what the Mark McGuire home run balls were selling for?

Modern sports rookie cards have been hot for awhile now.

Aaron Judge,Connor McDavid, and Ben Simmons rookie cards have really taken off as well.

Some Tom Brady and Mike Trout rookies sell in the thousands. Both cards less than 20 years old.

To me the three best hobbies are comics, video games and sportscards.

They might have some down periods, but they always bounce back do to their great history

37 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

They might have some down periods, but they always bounce back do to their great history

This.  I have a friend that's owned a comic/sports card shop for 25 years.  In talking with him over the years and based on what I've seen, the sports card market is a bit smaller than it used to be in the 80s/90s but it's bigger than it has ever been within the market itself (if that makes sense).

1 hour ago, DocHoppus182 said:

This.  I have a friend that's owned a comic/sports card shop for 25 years.  In talking with him over the years and based on what I've seen, the sports card market is a bit smaller than it used to be in the 80s/90s but it's bigger than it has ever been within the market itself (if that makes sense).

It does and it is, and is passive in nature, as to when to receive the best economical return, thanks to the Internet and ESPN.

3 hours ago, FineCollector said:

There's only one copy, so there's that.  I don't know what 1 of 1 cards sell for normally, but if nothing else, it's advertising for the store.  Baseball collectors are nuts anyway, remember what the Mark McGuire home run balls were selling for?

Highlighted the key word in your post.

1 of 1 cards, or game used cards, or autograph cards, or whatever are no different than the variant covers of new comics today. They are designed to create pockets of scarcity that drive collecting. Regular rookie cards will be $5 while the artificially scarce variants will sell for hundreds or thousands. No different than what is going on in comics.

Edited by mysterio
Can't spell even with coffee added.

4 hours ago, FineCollector said:

Baseball collectors are nuts anyway, remember what the Mark McGuire home run balls were selling for?

Todd McFarlane paid seven figures for some of those. 

Read all about it...if you didn't know

Of course, the article was wrong about one thing. He didn't spend "most of his savings" on the ball. He's worth around $300 million. 

Edited by newshane

11 minutes ago, newshane said:

Todd McFarlane paid seven figures for some of those. 

Read all about it...if you didn't know

Of course, the article was wrong about one thing. He didn't spend "most of his savings" on the ball. He's worth around $300 million. 

This happened in 1999, when he wasn't worth anything remotely close to a million.. a friend of a friend told me that this purchase was financed by his wife ;)

14 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

This happened in 1999, when he wasn't worth anything remotely close to a million.. a friend of a friend told me that this purchase was financed by his wife ;)

True that he wasn't worth back then what he is worth today...but I'd say he was already well north of a million by the time 1999 rolled around....

but yes, indeed, probably not rich enough at the time to drop 3 million on a baseball! 

What does (did) his wife do? hm

5 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

$60K for a baseball card for a player with 3 games under his belt. 

i repeat.  $60,000 for a card of a guy that has a total of 3 games under his belt.  We aren't talking about a vintage Ty Cobb, Babe Ruth or Mickey Manle card.  This guy could crash & burn.  This is foolish, & somewhat similar to short print variants that people get their panties in a wad over.  

2 hours ago, mysterio said:

1 of 1 cards, or game used cards, or autograph cards, or whatever are no different than the variant covers of new comics today.

What's a game used card?  I'm familiar with "game used hockey sticks" and "game worn jerseys".

20 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

What's a game used card?  I'm familiar with "game used hockey sticks" and "game worn jerseys".

It’s a card with a piece of memorabilia inserted into it. Usually a game worn jersey or a game used bat. 

3 minutes ago, deadleg said:
24 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

It’s a card with a piece of memorabilia inserted into it. Usually a game worn jersey or a game used bat. 

I've got some of these.  It's a terrible gimmick.  I'd rather have a 1 in 2M chance of winning an actual game used bat or jersey.

1 hour ago, Mercury Man said:

i repeat.  $60,000 for a card of a guy that has a total of 3 games under his belt.  We aren't talking about a vintage Ty Cobb, Babe Ruth or Mickey Manle card.  This guy could crash & burn.  This is foolish, & somewhat similar to short print variants that people get their panties in a wad over.  

As much as I want to see him do well because I like to see Japan’s brightest stars come over here to compete, given the track record of most Japanese players that have come over here(aside from Ichiro, maybe Hideo Nomo, and maybe Hideki Matsui) haven’t done well. Only time will really tell.  

35 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

It's a card they carry in their back pockets, to get all sweaty and bent up during the game, which groupi...er, fans can then pay big bucks to satisfy their perve...er, collecting goals.

Everybody knows that.

15 minutes ago, deadleg said:
36 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

I did not know this, thanks.

27 minutes ago, deadleg said:

As much as I want to see him do well because I like to see Japan’s brightest stars come over here to compete, given the track record of most Japanese players that have come over here(aside from Ichiro, maybe Hideo Nomo, and maybe Hideki Matsui) haven’t done well. Only time will really tell.  

Yep.  And some fools have nothing but time and $60K lying around to find out. 

Listen, I don't care what people do with their own money, I just choose to keep a level head, and laugh when the dust settles.  Because it does settle.