• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fake(?) FF #48 cover shows up at ECCC
4 4

162 posts in this topic

I didn't take these pics nor was I in attendance but someone was in line for Joe Sinnott's autograph at ECCC and these two covers showed up for Joe to sign.  Apparently these covers are owned by two different people.  Based on recent posts in this thread, it appears that the #48 is fake as Joe was asked to sign that cover and refused.

FF 48.jpg

52.jpg

Edited by dem1138
updated to reflect recent posts

22 minutes ago, dem1138 said:

I didn't take these pics but someone was in line for Joe Sinnott's autograph at ECCC in Seattle and someone pulled out these two covers for Joe to sign.  Given the unused #52 as well, it seems plausible that the #48 is real.  But again, I wasn't there so I can't verify and the irony is that the person who took the pics is not an OA guy at all, he just thought these were cool.

FF 48.jpg

Getting other e-mails about this, so just to repeat: Not in Seattle. Emerald City Comic Con was last month.

Beyond that...no comment.

Just now, Nexus said:

Getting other e-mails about this, so just to repeat: Not in Seattle. Emerald City Comic Con was last month.

Beyond that...no comment.

Yes me too, apologies, it was the East Coast Comic Con...and again, I can't verify if this cover is legit or not but it looks like it from the pic.

Which of these two would be considered more valuable?

My first thought was that Silver Surfer was the bigger character but looking now it seems that 52 is the more valuable book.  Does that carry over to the artwork?

Edited by buyatari

1 hour ago, buyatari said:

My first thought was that Silver Surfer was the bigger character but looking now it seems that 52 is the more valuable book.  Does that carry over to the artwork?

FF 48 is the better of the 2 if real...

Edited by Mephisto

8 hours ago, dem1138 said:

I didn't take these pics but someone was in line for Joe Sinnott's autograph at ECCC and someone pulled out these two covers for Joe to sign.  Given the unused #52 as well, it seems plausible that the #48 is real.  But again, I wasn't there so I can't verify and the irony is that the person who took the pics is not an OA guy at all, he just thought these were cool.

FF 48.jpg

Picture of a guy taking a picture of a guy holding FF 48 cover art. Love it. I bet that's the owner holding it. If so, I don't need further clues.

WOW!

(See the Curtiss at the top left?)

Quoting @glendgold in the Action Comics #1 thread:

Eastern Color didn't print the covers.  They printed the interiors.  The covers were printed...I think...at Curtiss, hence the "Curtiss" on all those twice-up covers borders.  The article left out this detail -- Eastern sent everything back monthly; Curtiss sent them back quarterly, and separately, so there were envelopes with 3 months of covers in them.   When a bunch of covers from summer of '65 have showed up over the last 30 years, but nothing else for the quarter on either side, coupled with staffers' stories off needing to clear off the shelves to fit newer artwork there, I began to see what probably happened. 

I think some single covers survived but I don't think it was many: gifted to companies they were doing business with; taken as souvenirs; taken as art reference; taken for the heck of it.  Based on all the empirical evidence but not on anything anyone has told me, I think that if a specific cover was reprinted in altered form around 1966, it stood a small chance of being saved. 

I don't know who the owner is, and can't vouch for the authenticity of either cover.  But, assuming that the unpublished 52 is the one that sold for big bucks at Heritage two years ago, I wouldn't be surprised if this guy has taken down some of the other big ticket items that have disappeared into the ether over the past few years, such as that FF 55 half splash that no one has been able to track down post-auction.  That one would seem to be in the same wheelhouse as these covers. 

42 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

I wouldn't be surprised if this guy has taken down some of the other big ticket items that have disappeared into the ether over the past few years, such as that FF 55 half splash that no one has been able to track down post-auction.

Ah. So Hugh Jackman is very active in the hobby after all. Cool. Now I can (finally) stop holding my breath :)

9 hours ago, buyatari said:

Is this a serious question?  

The cover of FF 48 would be on a different planet than the FF 52, which isn't even the published cover.

The main reason that FF 52 is much more valuable than FF 48 is that FF 52 is relatively scarce in high grade, particularly compared to FF 48, which is one of the most common SA books in high grade.

49 minutes ago, vodou said:

Ah. So Hugh Jackman is very active in the hobby after all. Cool. Now I can (finally) stop holding my breath :)

Wow, Hugh's really let himself go post-Wolverine I see... hm

Edited by delekkerste

23 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

If this cover is actually the original art and in decent shape and not altered by the Donnelly brothers in anyway, what would it be worth?

I'd tend to think double whatever the top public number is for a Kirby/Sinnott FF cover. As a line in the sand. Two motivated bidders both shooting for the stars could take that number and double it again. IMO.