• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which to buy? ASM 238 or Mister Miracle 4
1 1

43 posts in this topic

On 5/2/2018 at 6:27 PM, FineCollector said:

I don't understand ASM 238 holding its price for so long.  The Hobgoblin story through 289 was fine, and the Ron Frenz art was very decent, but how many people are reading 80's Spidey?  Ned Leeds is dead, and the guy who stole his gimmick, Jason Macendale, turned into Demogoblin and is never coming back.  Unless there are recent developments, Hobgoblin is a dead character that will never pop up again with any significance.

You underestimate Marvel's ability to bring anything back regardless of whether it makes sense or not.

On 2 May 2018 at 11:27 PM, FineCollector said:

Unless there are recent developments, Hobgoblin is a dead character that will never pop up again with any significance.

If we look at how interest in Howard the Duck and those early issue prices spiked after his teaser trailer at the end of the first GOTG film, I suspect it could be much easier to stimulate and sustain interest in Hobgoblin.

14 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I get the realities of the current market...honest...but 5, 10, 15, 20 years ago, people would be looking at the title of this thread and thinking someone had lost their mind,

;)

Very true. A good example of this is an issue of Wizard I read in the 90s, which, when discussing the Fourth World characters, sarcastically asked something along the lines of 'Does anyone still care about this bunch of losers?'  As a Kirby fan, something I didn't like.

But, how times change.

Edited by Ken Aldred

42 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Very true. A good example of this is an issue of Wizard I read in the 90s, which, when discussing the Fourth World characters, sarcastically asked something along the lines of 'Does anyone still care about this bunch of losers?'  As a Kirby fan, something I didn't like.

But, how times change.

Wizard was a magazine published by adolescent children, aimed at adolescent children. I wouldn't put too much stock in it, nor was I intimating anything like that. Just pointing out that the market has changed in dramatic fashion, that such a title would not only exist, but be taken seriously. And it is.

11 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Wizard was a magazine published by adolescent children, aimed at adolescent children. I wouldn't put too much stock in it, nor was I intimating anything like that. Just pointing out that the market has changed in dramatic fashion, that such a title would not only exist, but be taken seriously. And it is.

Just a comparison I made about how attitudes change.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 5/1/2018 at 11:04 PM, Allimagee said:

So, I have an opportunity to buy an Amazing Spiderman 238 with tattoos in about 9.0 condition for $80. Or a Mister Miracle 4 in about 8.0-8.5 possibly a 9.0 for $60. 

There is no wrong choice here but my only caveat to you would be this. Make sure the grading is tight. When you say ASM 238 in "about" VF/NM condition for $80, I would say that you can purchase a slabbed VF for that amount of $. Cheers and best wishes on your decision. 

11 hours ago, Allimagee said:

Thanks for all the replies!! I got some really good feedback but, since I couldn't decide which to buy I bought them both!! The ASM 238 is 9.0 IMO with the tatooz insert and the MM 4 should grade 8.0 or better after a clean and press!! Thanks again!

20180512_171518.jpg

Nice! MM #4's cover has always made me very uncomfortable. Who doesn't love being impaled by spikes...?

On 5/15/2018 at 2:40 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

Nice! MM #4's cover has always made me very uncomfortable. Who doesn't love being impaled by spikes...?

Ask Barbara Steele.

pit-and-the-pendulum-1961-movie-barbara-

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 6:32 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

ASM will always have a following so I would go with that.

mr miracle?  Big barda?  How many people know or care about them?

10 hours ago, Kevin76 said:

Doesn't mean anything if the demand isn't there

These two sum up my reaction - but glad you found the means for both!

Spiderman will probably remain a very popular character, and ASM still has plenty of run collectors too.

And unless supply is particularly low, it's demand that drives the price increases.  Then again, I'm a Spiderman fan.

1 hour ago, Jerkfro said:

ASM 238 is Cronze ;)

And Bropper. A versatile book.