Amazing Spider-Man #800 Variants
3 3

100 posts in this topic

389 posts
On 9/24/2018 at 1:39 PM, Dutch74 said:

Hi,

Hereby the list of the ASM1/802 variants. It seems this time there are no gaps in the UPC-codes, although the Horn ultimate edition has not yet been confirmed.

It seems there are 221 different covers for ASM797 u/i ASM803. The award for ruining the market goes to Unknown Comic Books and ComicXposure. They were responsible for nearly 70 of the variants.

After ASM803 things got back to normal. ASM3/804 'only' had 8 variants. 

image.thumb.png.e3c91d214226581f2e56cb345045a921.png

I actually plan on mentioning this to them on Sunday and comicxposure at NYCC next week.  they r overdoing it. their variants are getting watered down. they might have made a killing the first few times but they may be feeling the hit on ASM 1 and beyond. law of diminishing returns and all that. I'd recommend they reign it in to no more than 1 maybe 2 variants and only on key events or coordinate with other stores to spread them out.  As 797, 800, and 1 variants eat up an entire longbox.  a whole longbox for 3 issues!  that is not only monetarily unsustainable able.  that is physically unsustainable.

keep in mind the most valuable ASM variants were not store variants or artist variants that were artificially restricted to 1000 or less copies. they were just normal incentive variants that were partly under ordered and partly ignored until they became significant.  many of these variants are hoarded and we'll preserved from release. I've managed to find many in NM/MT condition 1-2 months after release for less than half the prices on release date.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
120 posts

The likes of Comicxposure should definitely be easing up as they aren't keeping up. 

I'm still waiting on my asm 796-800 set  (pre ordered way back in February) to be shipped. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
116 posts
39 minutes ago, MGH said:

The likes of Comicxposure should definitely be easing up as they aren't keeping up. 

I'm still waiting on my asm 796-800 set  (pre ordered way back in February) to be shipped. 

yea your not getting them, you need to charge back on your credit card

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
389 posts
On 9/30/2018 at 9:22 AM, MGH said:

The likes of Comicxposure should definitely be easing up as they aren't keeping up. 

I'm still waiting on my asm 796-800 set  (pre ordered way back in February) to be shipped. 

I actually received mine (ASM 796-801) on the 1st or 2nd week of august.  if you still haven't received them and would prrfer to have them rathwr than do a chargeback do exactly this:

locate your order # from your email.

During normal business hours M-F 9AM-4PM ET. login to facebook. if you don't have an account just create one with fake info and a spam email account.

then go to their Facebook page and direct message them and politely ask:

"Hi, Can you please check on the status of my order #xxxxx?"

reply times may vary but usually between 5min and 1 hrs for a response so if you don't receive a response right away check back every 15 min.

If you haven't received a response in 1 hr, repeat the question and politely ask "When do you expect to ship them?"

If you still get no response and if you are attending NYCC you can ask them yourself as they will be in attendance. Or Id be happy to inquire for you if you provide me your order #. otherwise you can resort to chargeback. 

direct messaging them on Facebook worked for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
120 posts
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, justafan said:

I actually received mine (ASM 796-801) on the 1st or 2nd week of august.  if you still haven't received them and would prrfer to have them rathwr than do a chargeback do exactly this:

locate your order # from your email.

During normal business hours M-F 9AM-4PM ET. login to facebook. if you don't have an account just create one with fake info and a spam email account.

then go to their Facebook page and direct message them and politely ask:

"Hi, Can you please check on the status of my order #xxxxx?"

reply times may vary but usually between 5min and 1 hrs for a response so if you don't receive a response right away check back every 15 min.

If you haven't received a response in 1 hr, repeat the question and politely ask "When do you expect to ship them?"

If you still get no response and if you are attending NYCC you can ask them yourself as they will be in attendance. Or Id be happy to inquire for you if you provide me your order #. otherwise you can resort to chargeback. 

direct messaging them on Facebook worked for me. 

I've direct messages then multiple times via fb.  Finally responded a couple of months ago when I said I would be opening a credit card dispute.. They said they would look into it.   Then nothing. About 3 weeks ago they they responded to my second threat  of opening a dispute that it would  be shipping  "tomorrow" 

So far still no dice...   Im overseas in holiday currently and will likely just go through with the chargeback  when I get back which is a shame as I was really  looking forward to getting those books. 

Clearly comic xposure have too many variants to be able to manage effective customer service. 

Edited by MGH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,558 posts
On 9/24/2018 at 11:07 AM, Get Marwood & I Live! said:

Nice work Elmer. Given that I used to triple board / double mylite my Spidey's this lot would've needed their own garage. So glad I'm out of the completist game.

Actually, a little part of me is insanely annoyed that I don't have them all :eek:

Have you ever built a fire pit?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,844 posts
6 hours ago, Awax said:
On 9/24/2018 at 7:07 PM, Get Marwood & I Live! said:

Nice work Elmer. Given that I used to triple board / double mylite my Spidey's this lot would've needed their own garage. So glad I'm out of the completist game.

Actually, a little part of me is insanely annoyed that I don't have them all :eek:

Have you ever built a fire pit?  

No, but I've escaped a money pit.

You?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
389 posts
9 hours ago, MGH said:

I've direct messages then multiple times via fb.  Finally responded a couple of months ago when I said I would be opening a credit card dispute.. They said they would look into it.   Then nothing. About 3 weeks ago they they responded to my second threat  of opening a dispute that it would  be shipping  "tomorrow" 

So far still no dice...   Im overseas in holiday currently and will likely just go through with the chargeback  when I get back which is a shame as I was really  looking forward to getting those books. 

Clearly comic xposure have too many variants to be able to manage effective customer service. 

That's a real shame and I feel for you.  I'm looking forward to asking them a few questions about their customer service at NYCC.  Guess I was just lucky or you were among the unlucky ones or like you said, they are just unable provide good customer service. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
427 posts

Another update: all variants of ASM789 u/i ASM 808. By now, the variant craze seems to have passed to other titles. Still, 302 ASM-variants have appeared within the timespan of 1 year. Based on the UPC-codes there could be three more books: 80021, 80091 and 80072 are still missing. 80059 was just released at NYCC. However, as 80021 should be a common variant, it seems this variant was abandoned by Marvel at a rather late stage. Of the 302 variants there are 112 'regulars' (the bold titles in the list) and 190 exclusives. Of these 190 exclusives 113 were released by ComicXposure, Unknown and JSC. 

best, E

+++ 

Clicking the image makes it barely readable by now. Sorry, this is the forum's doing. The orginal jpeg looks fine

ASM789-808.jpg

Edited by Dutch74

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,558 posts

Will there be a test on this becuse I have no idea what any of that means.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
427 posts

The overview works out better if I cut in into parts.

In bold the non-exclusives. Final column are the UPC-codes. The codes end with 5 digits of which the first three are reserved for the issuenumber. The 1st print regular cover always has the number of 11. Variants are then continued with numbers 21, 31, etc. If there are more then 9 variants, numbering continues with 16,17,18, etc. The digits 12 u/i 15 are used for 2nd u/i 5th printings. 

This system has its limitations. It is not designed for issues above #999, or more than 84 variants, more than five printings, or situations where there are (store) variants of the 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th printing. That is why ASM794 has UPC-codes switching from 79421 to 79416.

Of course you can argue why UPC-codes matter. For me, it is about creating overview. In case of ASM790 or ASM791 UPC-codes do not matter, but in case of ASM800 with so many variants, the UPC-codes a clear cue that I am missing a store-variant.

image.png.f92f1f5c728d4aafe139a5a04c523d10.png

Edited by Dutch74

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
427 posts

With ASM 795 the number of variants started picking up. Again the 2nd and 3rd print store variants caused some irregularities in the UPC-codes.

image.png.7a5bb61f3ad5e5d3e1d59fc20ba1776a.png

Edited by Dutch74

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
427 posts

Compared to my previous overview I found 79930 as a variant that I did not yet know about. It is so easy to lose track with these numbers; 798 had 22 variants and ASM799 24 variants. Again the 2nd and 3rd print store variants caused irregularities in UPC-coding, meaning that chronological dates of releases can not automatically be derived anymore from the coding 11-91, 16-88, 12-15.

image.png.d2600969512398f6f95985283527e6c5.png

Edited by Dutch74

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
427 posts

With ASM 800 UPC-coding became more relevant than ever before. No less than 68 variants were released. Due to readability this is only the first half.

image.png.8c2a4a0e91da7e3bd834a4576acdf2d8.png

Edited by Dutch74

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
427 posts

And this is the second part. We see that three UPC-codes do not have a book. This is not uncommon, it happened in the past. As 80021 and 80091 should have been rather well-known variants, I guess these variants were cancelled at a rather late stage. The previously unknown 80059 was found to be a NYCC exclusive. That means searching continues for the 80072.

image.png.228b2f35b48f60d0e5b3b60512817feb.png

Edited by Dutch74

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
427 posts

We had a breather with ASM 801: just 13 variants

image.png.b83c345c4d8f237bde39f318b3e1b997.png

Edited by Dutch74

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
427 posts

But then back to ASM 802 / 1: another 60 variants. The first part is here

image.png.380536ef7657113424fffc11fd4f6619.png

Edited by Dutch74

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
427 posts

and here is the second part. No missing UPC-codes this time, so we can be quite certain that this overview is complete.

image.png.685f1234d18f6fe97d987e089f1ac056.png

Edited by Dutch74

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
427 posts

And then the last part of the books. Things got a bit back to normal and attention of the variants-creators shifted to other titles. UPC-codes in red have not yet been confirmed.

Summarizing: ASM 789 - 806: 18 books, 288 variants, of which 187 exclusives, of which 107 by ComicXposure, Unknown and JSC. I could not find a complete overview of all these variants on the web. This overview might be useful for future completists.

Best, E

image.png

Edited by Dutch74

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,033 posts

This sadly made me stop collecting the new issues... There're just to damn many of them and frankly speaking 5 variants that are exactly the same but 1st is in color, 2nd in B&W, 3rd in sephia, 4th is 50% color 50% B&W and 5th is a virgin is a total wildly_fanciful_statement!
I barely survived the #1 variants but the 797-801 variants made me quit. I really hopped they'd stop with all this madness with the new series (vol 5) but they didn't. I don't have the money or the space to accommodate 100 slabs of 3 issues. It's really sad because I was only collecting ASMs and I was really devoted to it. I never imagined a day would come when I'd hang it all up...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
3 3