• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TBG #20 1972
1 1

136 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, Senormac said:

2093971765_page14classm.thumb.jpg.51f650e0a8ae5b706f2d1d0d197bd912.jpg

Coverless, but most in nice shape.  hm

'A few I had in a birdcage or sadly were chewed by rodents.  I'm not an experienced grader, and so I would conservatively estimate those to be in near nice condition, or nice minus.'

Yup. Grading was a bit more generous in the olden days.

Edited by Ken Aldred

6 hours ago, Senormac said:

some guy, using TBG to advertise his own paper

that is still only an idea, a plan....... 

which does the same thing

as what this paper is doing

So, what was the outcome of this, Mike?

Did TBG Voldemort him?

Any interesting developments in issue 21?

Edited by Ken Aldred

9 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:
15 hours ago, Senormac said:

some guy, using TBG to advertise his own paper

that is still only an idea, a plan....... 

which does the same thing

as what this paper is doing

So, what was the outcome of this, Mike?

Did TBG Voldemort him?

Any interesting developments in issue 21?

I guess if you are a paying customer, they run your ad.  Not sure if this guys adzine ever got off the ground or not.  There were a few places to sell in those days, but The Buyers Guide was KING 

Thanks very much for posting this!  I was 2 years old when it came out, so I missed it the first time around.  I really enjoy loking at those prices and how ridiculously low they are by todays standards.  I would have loved that mint double cover Batman 33, but until I was 15 or so, that $7.00 might as well have been $700.00, since I would have pretty much had an equal chance of coming up with either amount.  Cheap prices or not, sometimes it's hard to remember that everything is relative.  Back in 1972, $7.00 was probably a lot of money for most people, especially since new comics were only 20 cents or so.  I'd be willing to bet that 20 or 30 years from now, the insanely high prices that many comics are selling for today will seem like incredible bargains to collectors who are looking back at 2018 prices.

Yea, they will probably just keep going up. 

That double cover Batman 33 is in somebodies collection right now !!  Maybe someone here !! 

I enjoy seeing the home grown grass roots nature of the hobby back then.  The way everyone just talked to each other, and how no one was afraid to just put their address right out there in the open.  

Times were much less fearful than they are today 

Edited by Senormac
I thunk somethink new

On 5/5/2018 at 1:34 AM, Senormac said:

This is what meets the reader's eye every single issue upon opening the front page.  Starts with TBG info. 

5aee823e191ac_page2and3spread.thumb.jpg.7522c758a3d57e10c14766e8b3da7e0c.jpg

5aed4226d5ccc_20pg2halftop.thumb.jpg.fac9808f0245ac5b0e0d1ec76172c3bf.jpg

5aed4202ba8ed_20pg2halftopzoom1.thumb.jpg.5e775a503b8ccc65b5d05cc51976fedd.jpg

Interesting.

Those prices they were getting for those ads were actually quite good rates back then,so they probably made more good coin with those ads than subscriptions.

I doubt they would get prices for ads like that nowadays do to the internet and Craigslist were everything is posted for free.

So back than they were way ahead of the game.  

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 7:29 PM, ComicConnoisseur said:

Interesting.

Those prices they were getting for those ads were actually quite good rates back then,so they probably made more good coin with those ads than subscriptions.

I doubt they would get prices for ads like that nowadays do to the internet and Craigslist were everything is posted for free.

So I looked at the ad prices and then tallied up  the cost of the different size ads and came up with this. 

TBG paper # 20 Sept. 1972

44 pages total

5 pages of TBG info and self advertising

Total revenue from ads ( full, half, quarter, eighth and classifieds )  - $1715

IDK what the subscription numbers were.  It must have been a few thousand at two bucks "a year" (or one buck a year if you were connected) you can pad the total with that

Not a bad gig. Working at home.  Doing something you love.  Being the boss , chief, president  and CEO

Edited by Senormac

pages 16 + 17 spread

1653264937_pages1617spread.thumb.jpg.f45a776dccaaaabbcee9ef35a4eac828.jpg

page 16 top

quarter page ad

John Albernaz, Fall River Mass 

1281541445_page16topa.thumb.jpg.8565734f5b7a7d76d19f047246446b62.jpg

1172824432_page16topb.thumb.jpg.20203f9d53c240f495b766fcb4c6c552.jpg

Offering $200 for a copy of Marvel Mystery # 1    :grin:

914943775_page16topc.thumb.jpg.3b5221f8f30a7b2341e7434da0384947.jpg

Edited by Senormac
two bits worth of correction

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 9:10 PM, Senormac said:
On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 7:29 PM, ComicConnoisseur said:

Interesting.

So I looked at the ad prices and then tallied up  the cost of the different size ads and came up with this. 

TBG paper # 20 Sept. 1972

44 pages total

5 pages of TBG info and self advertising

Total revenue from ads ( full, half, quarter, eighth and classifieds )  - $1715

IDK what the subscription numbers were.  It must have been a few thousand at two bucks "a year" (or one buck a year if you were connected) you can pad the total with that

Not a bad gig. Working at home.  Doing something you love.  Being the boss , chief, president  and CEO

I do a monthly newsletter for free (not comics related).  A monthly drives you nuts very shortly...., a weekly would kill you fast.

page 19

full page ad

see page one of this thread

(you may have guessed I'm only working on this when time permits.

hope nobody is waiting breathlessly for the page 42 ads lol

Edited by Senormac
something on page 42 is pretty cool actually

20 hours ago, lizards2 said:

I do a monthly newsletter for free (not comics related).  A monthly drives you nuts very shortly...., a weekly would kill you fast.

I bet if you switched to a comics newsletter you'd be more inspired :grin:

On 5/11/2018 at 1:52 AM, Ken Aldred said:

'A few I had in a birdcage or sadly were chewed by rodents.  I'm not an experienced grader, and so I would conservatively estimate those to be in near nice condition, or nice minus.'

I met Dave H. only 15 months ago!  The famous Dave's Comics in Detroit, very long-running store. By the end he had at least a semi-trailer load of stuff to dump. Still does shows here and there.

338412915_page14classm.thumb.jpg.0454dfe8eaf03a218d51fe2fa8e5e3d4.jpg

20 minutes ago, HouseofComics.Com said:
On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 1:52 AM, Ken Aldred said:

I met Dave H. only 15 months ago!  The famous Dave's Comics in Detroit, very long-running store. By the end he had at least a semi-trailer load of stuff to dump. Still does shows here and there.

Wow !!  :applause:  :banana:

A connection !! 

Thanks for the post HC

I mean, this issue of TBG is 46 years old !!