• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU: 1; Marvel Comics: 0...
2 2

49 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, sd2416 said:

The infinity books do not hold up well, especially War and Quest.  Gauntlet is decent.  

I’ll have to reread it tonight.  I have recently reread Infinity Gauntlet and Thanos Quest and I thought both were good.  Maybe I remember Infinity War fondly thru the ages.

3 hours ago, jools&jim said:

and be elevated to new aesthetic heights by the luminously serviceable artwork of...Ron Lim

Yup. Hardly exceptional at the time, but his more recent art in Starlin's Infinity Finale graphic novel is much better.

1 hour ago, jools&jim said:

I know nothing about moderns. Does Marvel have a separate MCU line of comics, which reference and expand/explore the continuity of the films?

No.  They have one shot comics that come out right before the films do and act as a sort of prelude, but there is no consistent line of comics that continues to tell stories that are canon for the MCU.

2 hours ago, 1Cool said:

I’ll have to reread it tonight.  I have recently reread Infinity Gauntlet and Thanos Quest and I thought both were good.  Maybe I remember Infinity War fondly thru the ages.

Now that I think about it, wasn't Thanos on the side of the good guys in the Infinity War comics?  Talk about a "huh?" moment for a newbie looking to read something that's in tune with the movies...

Edited by jools&jim

Are you suggesting a comic version of the movies similar to how the original Batman, Conan and Raiders of the Lost Ark had movie adaption comics.  Based on how many I see if these books in quarter bins I’d say they were not big sellers.  People tend to not like to read comics that simply rehash the movie.  Star Wars 1 is one of the few I can think of that do well.

15 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Are you suggesting a comic version of the movies similar to how the original Batman, Conan and Raiders of the Lost Ark had movie adaption comics.  Based on how many I see if these books in quarter bins I’d say they were not big sellers.  People tend to not like to read comics that simply rehash the movie.  Star Wars 1 is one of the few I can think of that do well.

Not suggesting anything. 

The guy in the store wanted "Marvel Cinematic Universe" comic books in general; and, in particular, a non-existent comic book that was adapted into the film. 

He wasn't looking for a movie adaptation -- he was looking for the source from which the movie itself was adapted, in the same way that a fan of the Harry Potter movies might want to seek out the original novels.  I think we are all so deep into this stuff as fans that it's difficult for us to understand that this guy--clearly not a comic-book person--was making a perfectly reasonable assumption.

I'm not 100% sure what he meant by "Marvel Cinematic Universe" comics in more general terms, but I'm pretty sure he was NOT after reprints of stuff from the '90s...

Edited by jools&jim

4 hours ago, jools&jim said:

Exactly!  That was what was so remarkable about it. 

And so what do we do with this potential new reader?  We point him in the direction of expensive trade collections of stuff that was published before he was born. 

I'm sure he'll thrill to the machinations of Dr. Doom and Kang the Conqueror in "Infinity War", give a big ol' (shrug) to the Magus, and be elevated to new aesthetic heights by the luminously serviceable artwork of...Ron Lim.  :screwy:

Is your point that I shouldn't have read the LOTR trilogy because it was published before I was born? (shrug)

I wouldn't recommend Infinity War because, without even getting into quality, I doubt it has any real connection to the movie other than the title. I would recommend Infinity Gauntlet, which is clearly the basis for the movie, even if there are significant differences. I would never recommend a current/recent Marvel comic to anyone.

18 hours ago, jools&jim said:

CUSTOMER:  Uh…yes.  I'm interested in the Marvel Cinematic Universe comics, especially the Infinity War comic book.

So the customer was familiar with the "Marvel Cinematic Universe" term, but doesn't understand the basic concept of separate universes being different?

40 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Is your point that I shouldn't have read the LOTR trilogy because it was published before I was born? (shrug)

Of course not.

My impression, and that's all it is, is that this particular customer--after viewing a modern superhero blockbuster--was looking for more contemporary material with the same vibe and feel as the movie.  I could be wrong.

So the customer was familiar with the "Marvel Cinematic Universe" term, but doesn't understand the basic concept of separate universes being different?

Why would he need to understand it at all?  He clearly knew nothing about comic books other than that Marvel publishes them, and that they had something to do with a movie he liked.  The only other "universe" he was likely familiar with is the one we all learned about in our astronomy classes...

10 minutes ago, jools&jim said:

Why would he need to understand it at all?  He clearly knew nothing about comic books other than that Marvel publishes them, and that they had something to do with a movie he liked.  The only other "universe" he was likely familiar with is the one we all learned about in our astronomy classes...

There is something wrong with any fan of fiction who doesn't realize that Tarzan and Spider-Man and Sherlock Holmes and Batman and Harry Potter and Luke Skywalker and Homer Simpson and Spawn and... (okay, I'll stop now) are all from different universes. I'll grant that alternate versions of characters are not quite the same, but even that concept is hardly unexplored in popular culture outside of comic books.

Agreed with the OP. There may be similar questions about the venom movie. It'll combine lethal protector & planet of the symbiotes. It should just be based on one of them imo.

I just hope they'll do a direct adaptation of the 1st secret wars but unfortunately that's a pipe dream. It's very frustrating! 

23 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Store owner sounds like he over thought it.  Just recommend Infinity Wars and Infinity Gauntlet and let the buyer figure out which way he should go from there.

+1 on this one.  I feel like the store owner, knowledgeable as he may be, really dropped the ball on this one.

His answer should have been something like:

"The primary basis for Avengers: Infinity War was a series called Infinity Gauntlet from the early 90's.  You'll see a lot of differences between the two, but they main plot is still there."

"What kind of differences? Well, Marvel doesn't own the rights to characters like Wolverine and Silver Surfer, so while they are in the comic, they are not in the movies.  And some characters like the Black Order weren't introduced until Infinity a few decades later".

"But all the movies have their roots in the comics, both new and old.  You liked the arena stuff in Thor Ragnarok?  Check out Planet Hulk.  You like Tony's new armor?  Check out the Extremis arc."

Answer the poor guy's questions and show him what he wants.  Tell him the comics will be different but still good and let him decide what he wants.  The way the clerk left it, the customer will likely never step foot in a comic shop again.

8 minutes ago, Turtle said:

+1 on this one.  I feel like the store owner, knowledgeable as he may be, really dropped the ball on this one.

His answer should have been something like:

"The primary basis for Avengers: Infinity War was a series called Infinity Gauntlet from the early 90's.  You'll see a lot of differences between the two, but they main plot is still there."

"What kind of differences? Well, Marvel doesn't own the rights to characters like Wolverine and Silver Surfer, so while they are in the comic, they are not in the movies.  And some characters like the Black Order weren't introduced until Infinity a few decades later".

"But all the movies have their roots in the comics, both new and old.  You liked the arena stuff in Thor Ragnarok?  Check out Planet Hulk.  You like Tony's new armor?  Check out the Extremis arc."

Answer the poor guy's questions and show him what he wants.  Tell him the comics will be different but still good and let him decide what he wants.  The way the clerk left it, the customer will likely never step foot in a comic shop again.

1 hour ago, jools&jim said:

But as you said, the clerk was showing the customer a variety of things that wasn't what the guy was looking for.  As it sounds like we don't know if the customer ultimately bought anything, the best we can do is speculate.  At best, the clerk was able to inefficiently lead the guy to something he wanted to buy.  At worst, the customer walked out empty-handed and won't go to another comic shop.  In both cases, the clerk has room to improve.  His shortcoming isn't a lack of comic knowledge, rather a failure to effectively read the situation and adapt. 

I think the customer--unintentionally, of course--made the clerk's job more difficult by specifically asking for something that did not exist.  Why that was the case needed to be explained before alternatives could be presented, and to my ears at least that's precisely what the clerk tried to do.

The guy saw the movie, went to an LCS, and asked for the "The Infinity War" comic book.

And here's what Marvel had waiting for him:

61DdtgqD2cL.jpg.d4358a2717194596797115b969265ebb.jpg

Imagine if the clerk hadn't been proactive in approaching the customer, who was clearly new to the store and looked like he needed help.

Could you blame him for thinking that this is what he was looking for? And can you further imagine his dismay, after buying and reading it, that Thanos is a good guy in the story, and that the villain is some lightning-bolt man-bun weirdo who is the future incarnation of some other character he'd never heard of (with a hugely complicated backstory)...and paying $20 for the privilege?

Talk about feeling hosed!

In my view the clerk did nothing wrong.  If there is any fault here at all, it's Marvel's...

Edited by jools&jim

I would subscribe monthly to comics based on 

Robert Downey Jr Iron Man

Chris Hemsworth Thor

Tom Hiddleston Loki

Chris Pratt Starlord

Ryan Reynolds Deadpool

I remember watching the great Christopher Reeve as Superman as a kid,than going to buy the latest Superman comics to find the comic Superman was vastly different than the movie version which disappointed me.

So yeah Marvel would be wise to start a comic book line based on the Marvel Cinematic characters.

4 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I remember watching the great Christopher Reeve as Superman as a kid,than going to buy the latest Superman comics to find the comic Superman was vastly different than the movie version which disappointed me.

How so?

4 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

So yeah Marvel would be wise to start a comic book line based on the Marvel Cinematic characters.

Nah, they'd just :censored: it up like they :censored: up everything else they do.

12 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I would subscribe monthly to comics based on 

Robert Downey Jr Iron Man

Chris Hemsworth Thor

Tom Hiddleston Loki

Chris Pratt Starlord

Ryan Reynolds Deadpool

Interesting concept and would probably be a hit but licensing would be a nightmare since the actors would demand a cut if their likeness was being used in an ongoing comic book.  Imagine if the actors stopped being part of the Marvel universe could they stop the production of new books and kill the series?

On 5/7/2018 at 8:03 AM, miraclemet said:

I get wanting to read more. But it sounded like the customer just wanted the comic book version of the movie. 

Like didn't you just watch the movie? Did you look at the sweeping cinematic scale and dramatic action and think "I'd like this more if it was shrunk down to 10" x 6.5" with static action and only takes about 12 minutes to consume" 

sounds like he didnt want to wait a year for the sequel... :) 

On 5/7/2018 at 4:51 PM, 1Cool said:

Star Wars #1 came out before the movie.