• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question - double/triple covers

6 posts in this topic

I'm just getting back into the game after 20 years or so, and the first thing I did was take stock of my collection to see if I had any desirable/rare or valuable issues.  Among others, I have a mint condition Amazing Spider-Man #361, first printing, 1st appearance of Carnage.  While reading up on differing values, I've come across this issue "featuring triple cover" that just shoots the value up into the stratosphere.  However, I cannot find any information explaining the difference.  So, just what is a triple cover, anyway?

IMG_0690.jpg

Sometimes, comics get additional covers simply by virtue of errors in the assembly process. Some collectors find them valuable due to ... okay, I don't really know. I don't give a about double covers. Likewise for price variants or printing errors: it's not a variance of substance to me. But yeah, some people will pay for that kind of thing.

2 hours ago, DavidTheDavid said:

Sometimes, comics get additional covers simply by virtue of errors in the assembly process. Some collectors find them valuable due to ... okay, I don't really know. I don't give a about double covers. Likewise for price variants or printing errors: it's not a variance of substance to me. But yeah, some people will pay for that kind of thing.

I'm with ya on the double covers & price variants ... they don't do anything for me. What I do find desirable, and I don't know why, is that green issue of FF 110. I don't know why I find it so pretty, but I smile when I hold it.

you would know if you had it, almost certainly nothing to concern yourself with.  Also, just as an FYI in the event the OP is trying to sell any of the comics he has, just because a comic has been in a bag/board for 20+ years and hasn't been touched in a long time doesn't automatically mean a given comic is in perfect or near perfect condition.

In addition, if the OP may one day try to sell his/her comics, one may want to use SOLD prices on ebay as a guide rather than advertised prices or even prices in printed price guides.  Anyone can ask anything price for anything, but that's not necessarily an indicator of the actual market for a given book, especially if a given book is a non-key common book from the most overprinted era of comics in history.  Just something to think about.  But like I said, one can ask for whatever price.  Welcome back to comics, good luck.