• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading of sealed collector's editions?

6 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have an X-Force #1 that is fully sealed in a plastic pouch as they came with a collector's card. I know it's not worth that much money, but I'm wondering how this comic would be graded if I were to send it in for grading.

Would they remove the plastic pouch? If so, doesn't that decrease the value?

Thanks!

Once graded the value would only really be compared relatively to other graded comics.  Which are also removed from their sealed bags.  So for the buyer or collector who wants the book slabbed, there’s no choice, and therefore no impact on value.

2 hours ago, xanman2112 said:

Hello,

I have an X-Force #1 that is fully sealed in a plastic pouch as they came with a collector's card. I know it's not worth that much money, but I'm wondering how this comic would be graded if I were to send it in for grading.

Would they remove the plastic pouch? If so, doesn't that decrease the value?

Thanks!

You will have to remove the plastic before you send it in for grading. The CGC will not do it for you. 

Some collectors may prefer the book inside of the plastic, but removing it won't necessarily decrease the value. You HAVE to remove it to get it graded so, in today's market, it really doesn't make that much of a difference. Besides, leaving it in the cheap plastic for years and years will eventually have a detrimental impact on the book's condition. Your book will live a better life inside of archival quality bags or slabs. 

It's also important to note that the condition of a sealed comic is often not up to 9.8 standards. All that rubbing around in the inside of the bag isn't good for the book. Moreover, lots of shops and collectors never bothered to put them inside of another bag with a backing board. 

A great example is Spawn 64. It came sealed in a bag. The comic had a black cover. It's pretty much impossible to find one in 9.8 (there are NONE on the census). I've owned both highest-graded copies. Due to the nature of the product, it's highly unlikely that we'll ever see one above a 9.6...although I have my fingers crossed. If anyone can find one for me, I have a lot of money waiting. 

Actually you should remove the plastic beforehand. The problem with this book and other polybagged books is that the line sealed down the middle usually will leave a "polybag crease", which is more like a bend. This will lower the grade, even if the book is 9.8 otherwise. You'd be looking most likely at a 9.2. Remedy of course is pressing, which should remove most of the bend if not all of it.

19 minutes ago, xanman2112 said:

Thanks to all that responded.  If I remove the pouch for grading, should I include the collector card that it came with?

No.