• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

how do you handle the question, "How much is this comic worth?" from flippers?
2 2

120 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, 1Cool said:

But seriously - letting people down easy is a great skill for life.  I've had a few friends or friends of friends who have asked me to look at their stuff and I take a look and give them an honest answer.  Quick and to the point.  I refer them to E-Bay sold items if they don't believe me.  You can't usually change peoples mind when they are made up so you just have to tell it like it is and get out quick if it looks like a waste of time.

So let it be written...so let it be done!   :makepoint:

I’ve had numerous people ask me over the years.  They always make sure to tell me that “it’s in the sleeve”.

I tell them that if the cover price is 25-cents or lower, there might be some value.  Anything higher, probably not unless it’s Spider-Man or Batman.  Usually knocks the wind out of their sails

4 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

I’ve had numerous people ask me over the years.  They always make sure to tell me that “it’s in the sleeve”.

I tell them that if the cover price is 25-cents or lower, there might be some value.  Anything higher, probably not unless it’s Spider-Man or Batman.  Usually knocks the wind out of their sails

Thats what i do pretty much I say if cover price is 10 cents you might have something.  If its 12 cents you possibly have something.  Anything more than that it's almost certain you dont have anything.  That knocks the wind out pretty quick as 99.99% of the time cover price is over $1.35.  And yeah they sure like to mention them 'sleeve thingies'.  I say the sleeve thingie can be purchased for a quarter and does not raise the price of anything, ever.

Edited by kav

Yeah, more often than not (pretty close to your 99%), cover price is $1+.  

In all the years, only had one time where the “non-comic guy” had a good book.  It was a Hawkman 4 in poor condition.  It was years ago (10+ at least).  Beat to carp.  Told him I wasn’t interested.  He could’ve maybe pulled $10-20 on eBay at best.  

10 hours ago, Antpark said:
10 hours ago, NoMan said:

Nope. Don't work.

"Well, what do you think they're worth?"  "Where is the LCS?" "What's the phone number?" "What's the address?"

Still doing someone's work for 'em.

"I don't know, off hand -- you should be able to find them online".

Everything after that is "I don't know". They'll eventually get frustrated and leave you alone.

I usually suggest they come to church with me on Sunday.  The sermons are usually about stuff like this...., after we cut the goats. :whistle:

:idea:  when they ask you if a comic is worth anything act like youre thinking about it and pull some coins out of your pocket then go HEY!!  Do you think this penny is worth anything???

12 hours ago, NoMan said:

there is a guy at my work who spends all his time on these "give-away" sites on the internet. I forget the names of 'em. "Come pick this s*it up and it's yours free" kinda sites. He's one of the worst offenders. He's been showing off forever this antiques wood work box THAT IS A BROKEN DOWN PIECE OF S*IT that he hauled away for free that is "worth money." The other day he rented a truck to pick up A PALLET OF BASEBALL CARDS that he was told by the guy who's giving it away that "IT'S BEEN PRETTY WELL PICKED OVER" but somehow it's gonna net him a profit. His garage is running out of room, etc.

It's all so embarrassingly goofy nowadays. Like in the early 90s with the Death of Superman when folks were standing outside the comic book store getting one to "pay for their kid's college education." Hell, I remember flipping through the channels and seeing the Death of Superman comic being sold on THE HOME SHOPPER'S CLUB NETWORK and listening the the inane BullS*t of the hosts on the show, "It's gonna be worth as much as Action Comics #1.

Look, I'm not exactly a people person, but HOW oh HOW can everybody be so fu*cking dumb?

Superman #75 was never offered on any home shopping show. It sold out far too quickly, and was a monstrous, monstrous hit: DC's best selling individual issue in their 80+ year history.

Adventures of Superman #500, however, was.

One of the most annoying things I've ever encountered was a woman showing me her stash of VG/F Captain Americas in the 180s and 190s, along with other likewise 30 and 35 cent comics...convinced they were worth money. You try to genuinely help these people, by giving them an honest dose of reality, and they think you're trying to scam them.

So, I tell them to look them up on eBay instead.

'It's worth about 7 Youngbloods.' 

But seriously, when I do get asked I try to explain the fallacy of comics value, especially when it's a 'childhood collection' from someone my age. They'll usually say 'but it's 30 years old, it's got to be worth something', and I'll reply 'and you're a bit older than that, and what could I get for you?' 

That usually gets the point across. 

17 hours ago, NoMan said:

Starting to think about putting a reading run of Byrne's work on FF together. 

That's a great read.  Don't delay. :smile:

As others have noted, the eBay option sounds like the best, shortest route to go:  "You know, I'm not familiar enough with your collection of "Amazing Aardvark Man" but if you check eBay you'll get a better idea of what the market is for them."  Done.

Conversely if you have the time, you can just turn around and slowly face them while exclaiming:  "You... you're really talking to me!  No one's taken a chance to get next to me since I was released!  I told those guys at the asylum that I'd be a functioning member of society again!  Of course, it did help that they never found the bodies so nothing could be proven, but hey... we can't do all the work for the homicide department too.  Am I right?"

heres my favorite scenario I have had happen a few times.  people ask how much are my 100 comics worth?  I reply 99% of comics are worthless and should just be scrapped so most likely they aren't worth the garbage bag they will take up.  the classic part is they still somehow think that all 100 books they have are still part of the 1% of books worth money and still want me to look at them.  after doing so I confirm and say yup these are all junk.  then they get angry at me and think im just jealous of their gold.

now I just say whatever you think they are worth and they get the hint.

22 hours ago, BeholdersEye said:

Easy!  Just tell them to:

1) Go to eBay

2) Type in the title of the item them have

3) Click on "Sold Items" on the Show Only category on the left tool bar side

4) Sort by Lowest, or Highest or Most Recent to show the historical precedent of actual sales to get a good range and recency analysis 

5) Then, unclick "Sold Items" to see who's selling the same item in question, if there's any bids or "buy it now" offers to see what the competitive landscape is for the item being sold now.

There's no need to explain more or do any work for these people, even if you know info, it's speculative at best, and this is the best way for pedestrians to get actual valid information of actual transactions... since a comic shop can put up a comic book with a price tag of $50 all day long and if it sits on the shelves, it's probably not worth $50 or at least isn't a bargain, otherwise someone would have bought it, so he simple fact that it's available for purchase tells you the price might be too high. Same with eBay and all of the "Buy it Now or Best Offer" listings or those with a high minimum bid yet no bids that keeps getting relisted waiting for an impulsive sucker who doesn't comparison shop.

To all of you who get pestered by the same "what's my comic worth?" question. I think that the above items 1 - 5 should be either printed on a business card to hand out, or on a big sign under the caption "What's your comic worth".

On 5/14/2018 at 1:10 PM, NoMan said:

there is a guy at my work who spends all his time on these "give-away" sites on the internet. I forget the names of 'em. "Come pick this s*it up and it's yours free" kinda sites. He's one of the worst offenders. He's been showing off forever this antiques wood work box THAT IS A BROKEN DOWN PIECE OF S*IT that he hauled away for free that is "worth money." The other day he rented a truck to pick up A PALLET OF BASEBALL CARDS that he was told by the guy who's giving it away that "IT'S BEEN PRETTY WELL PICKED OVER" but somehow it's gonna net him a profit. His garage is running out of room, etc.

It's all so embarrassingly goofy nowadays. Like in the early 90s with the Death of Superman when folks were standing outside the comic book store getting one to "pay for their kid's college education." Hell, I remember flipping through the channels and seeing the Death of Superman comic being sold on THE HOME SHOPPER'S CLUB NETWORK and listening the the inane BullS*t of the hosts on the show, "It's gonna be worth as much as Action Comics #1.

Look, I'm not exactly a people person, but HOW oh HOW can everybody be so fu*cking dumb?

I was browsing my local classifieds a few days ago and came across some low grade, raw silver age filler books. probably about 20-30 books judging by the pictures.

Nothing key just cool 60s books some non hero, Marvel, DC etc. Not the best condition. The kind of books that would probably be worth on average 5-15$ each. Of course no price listed. I called and asked him how much he wanted and it was just stupid.

He wanted 10x what any sane person would pay. I told him ill pass and he said these will keep going up and I should get them while I can.

He clearly had no idea what he was selling and probably got them at a yard sale/flea market. 

Another case of people thinking oh its old, must be worth a lot, yet not 1 second of time goes into researching what it sells for :facepalm:

18 minutes ago, grayzr said:

I was browsing my local classifieds a few days ago and came across some low grade, raw silver age filler books. probably about 20-30 books judging by the pictures.

Nothing key just cool 60s books some non hero, Marvel, DC etc. Not the best condition. The kind of books that would probably be worth on average 5-15$ each. Of course no price listed. I called and asked him how much he wanted and it was just stupid.

He wanted 10x what any sane person would pay. I told him ill pass and he said these will keep going up and I should get them while I can.

He clearly had no idea what he was selling and probably got them at a yard sale/flea market. 

Another case of people thinking oh its old, must be worth a lot, yet not 1 second of time goes into researching what it sells for :facepalm:

yup. Stupid it is

Edited by NoMan