• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

International shipping

7 posts in this topic

Sorry for the knucklehead question, but is there a sub-forum on how to ship internationally?

Did a quick search and didn't find anything.

Have 2 potential customers for expensive statues (over a $1000 each). Both are brand new to the boards and I have never shipped out of the US.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

I just figure it out on USPS.com

It's pretty easy anymore, as all the customs junque is internalized with buying the postage.

Insurance is always my biggest concern with shipping internationally.  Substantial amounts of insurance are only available with the most expensive shipping services.  So unless you are willing to risk giving the statues away, you are going to have to use the most expensive services

Priority Mail international provides up to $200 of insurance. No extra can be purchased
Priority Mail Express International allows you to purchase up to $650 of insurance
Global Express Guaranteed allows you to purchase up to $2499 of insurance coverage. 

The cost - before any extra insurance - for a 2lb package to the UK is $60/$74/$135. 

International buyers will understandably want you to use the least expensive shipping method. But I refuse to unless I have received payment that cannot be reversed. Like an international MO or wire transfer.  Because if you get paid with PayPal or a credit card and  agree to use  something like  first class international that isn't insured, you run a very high risk of ending up with neither your stature NOR your money

Edited by Tony S

No, you could ship it by USPS. I'm using the UK for my estimates at the USPS website.  Canada would be less, Australia 2x more. . Western Europe the same price as UK. 

You are looking at about $180 Priority Express international and $350 Global Express Guaranteed. 

You can check the websites of UPS and FedEx for their rates. They will not be cheaper. Probably more. 

There hasn't been any inexpensive international shipping options for a decade now. 

I'd go with USPS International Express.  The service can get to most countries in the eastern hemisphere in less than a week and pretty decent tracking as well.  Depending on the destination you may be able to purchase full value insurance through the PO.

Make sure you get a tracking number, for your sake, and theirs. But depending on the country, the tracking will only take you so far. For a statue, I usually try and double box it (or I guess triple box it, counting the original statue box), but that's a personal preference.