• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crazy Run up on price than crash and burn. And I mean BURN!
3 3

339 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Larryw7 said:

The 'Nam. Were hot as heck in the eighties, and then crashed pretty hard. Regardless, the stories were always great.

Some nice Michael Golden art in the early issues. Good comics.

4 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

The 'Nam. Were hot as heck in the eighties, and then crashed pretty hard. Regardless, the stories were always great.

Yes it was, I wish it would come back I found a distributor stash of 1-10 or so a few years ago, all mint 25 copies of each. 

On 5/24/2018 at 8:26 PM, Rip said:

I'm thinking Ms Marvel 1 and Star Wars 1 as well. Lots and lots of them.

I recall 9.8 copies of Star Wars 1 just prior to the ( I’ll be kind) “movie” Rogue 1 breaking $2500 one after another. 3 movies later a struggle to break a K

8 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

This run is one of my current $1 box projects. I’ve assembled 2/3 of the run in high grade on the cheap, and plan to read it front to back once I complete it. 

On 5/25/2018 at 1:12 PM, comix4fun said:

I remember convention dealing in the late 80's and early 90's.

I had found a guy with 25 copies of ASM 149 ranging from VF- to NM/M. I knew from Previews and Retailer meetings that Marvel had a big push centered around the Clone coming. So I was seeking out that run in ASM, and especially 149, for months before the news hit. They cost me $10-12 a piece, which was a premium at the time, but I was stockpiling.

Then late summer/early fall 1994 the word was out and everyone wanted issue #149. "It's gonna be the next #129!!!" was the cry of fans. 

I remember doing one show late that year when I finally decided it was time to sell them. It was a small one day show in the Chicago burbs. I put out the lowest condition copy first at 9 am..I think at $90. That sold in 2 minutes and I would pull out the next lowest copy, working my way up in condition and price, throughout the day. No copy lasted longer than 10 minutes on the wall. 

By the time 4 pm rolled around I had 3 copies left (A NM, NM/MT, and a VF that was misfiled and I had skipped over). The NM was now on the wall for $450. A guy hemmed and hawed and tried to negotiate for a discount, but when another guy wanted to see it if he passed the first guy just bought it at full asking.  I decided I wanted to keep the NM/MT so I put the VF on the wall. I priced it at $295 and the guy with the booth next to me (nothing high end, looked like a collector clearing stuff out) walked over and said "How about everything my booth for that #149 on the wall...oh and $100 bucks". I said I wasn't interested in taking his whole booth and paying him $100. Then he clarified and said he wanted to give me his whole booth and give ME the $100 for that copy. 

It was nothing great, 100-150 issue runs of unread modern Flash, Green Lantern, Green Arrow, X-men, ASM, and some indies. 8 long boxes total, 25 assorted non-sport card sets and 30-40 carded action figures. He said his girlfriend wanted the stuff gone, but he could get away with one or two nice comics....so he wanted to dump everything on me for the one copy of ASM 149. So I took it. I sold the runs in lots and the sports cards and toys over the coming year for probably $500 total, just to blow everything out. 

A year later I don't think I could have gotten $50 for one of those #149's. CGC grading changed everything and the book had a resurgence, but it was dead as disco by 1996. 

It was the wild west back then....like Magnus Robot Fighter #12 (First Valiant Turok)....I was getting $150 for NM copies without any resistance and I sold dozens of them...that's a book that dropped below $10, maybe below $5 when everything came crashing down. 

I left collecting right before this. When I got back into collecting I got a 149 in 2002. The dealer never changed the price tag on his copy so it sat years after the crash. I didn't plan on buying it but I just had to ask him what the heck was he thinking pricing it out of this universe. He said it was based on the clone saga story line. You mean the one that killed readership? He shrugged his shoulders because he realized it was likely overpriced. I showed him a price guide and I bought it at guide for a fraction of the sticker price. I guess we both did fine. 

23 hours ago, nepatkm said:

Ultimate Spider-Man #1 :tonofbricks:

Ultimate Spider-Man #1 is still hanging around. This book refuses to lay down and the ref just won't give it a standing TKO. 

Ultimates #1 however, is what I was thinking. The Wizard hype machine was all over this book. I had to get a copy back in the day and started reading the series for a bit. I drifted out of collecting (again) and years later I wondered what happened? I have a feeling this may be one of those books RMA was talking about as to possibly coming back one day. The Ultimates is what the marvel movie universe was built on right?

1 hour ago, FN-2199 said:

I left collecting right before this. When I got back into collecting I got a 149 in 2002. The dealer never changed the price tag on his copy so it sat years after the crash. I didn't plan on buying it but I just had to ask him what the heck was he thinking pricing it out of this universe. He said it was based on the clone saga story line. You mean the one that killed readership? He shrugged his shoulders because he realized it was likely overpriced. I showed him a price guide and I bought it at guide for a fraction of the sticker price. I guess we both did fine. 

Yes, that's the one...the amount of speculation and buying frenzy on that one was really out of hand for a while there. 

On 5/26/2018 at 2:11 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

By the way...if anyone is ever wondering what might be "worth money" in the future, check out what was hot in the past.

Nobody's ever going to be able to pick "1st Squirrel Girl" and books like that. Granted. But, there are tons and tons of books that were, at one time, smoking hot...and could be again. People remember. 

Bingo!

On 5/24/2018 at 8:41 AM, NoMan said:

Bored here at LAX and got to wondering if there was ever a book that just shot to the heavens and then crashed BIG TIME!

Like if HOS 92 suddenly took a huge hit and was now selling for 5 or 10 dollars in HG. 

Inquiring bored minds want to know!

There is not one instance in comic book history of a book that performed as high, lasted as long, then crashed as bad as the above hypothetical 

But an interesting book to examine is TDKR. This book could sell as high as $100+ raw or as low as $20-50 in VF-NM

There were times (before 2014) when you could get it for 20 consistently, then times when you couldnt get it for less than 80-100

I cant see how you can lose buying this NOW for $20-30 as a future investment

Batman The Cult 1 went as high as £50 in the UK in the late 80s, but by the mid-90s crash I could see complete sets of the mini-series going for cover price, now around £5 for the first issue.

Edited by Ken Aldred

13 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

There is not one instance in comic book history of a book that performed as high, lasted as long, then crashed as bad as the above hypothetical 

But an interesting book to examine is TDKR. This book could sell as high as $100+ raw or as low as $20-50 in VF-NM

There were times (before 2014) when you could get it for 20 consistently, then times when you couldnt get it for less than 80-100

I cant see how you can lose buying this NOW for $20-30 as a future investment

Interesting. So you’re saying NOW is the time to scoop up copies of TDKR? I love that book and i’d like to sell my collection in 20 or so years and make a little coin, so.... ??

Edited by NoMan

4 hours ago, NoMan said:

Interesting. So you’re saying NOW is the time to scoop up copies of TDKR? I love that book and i’d like to sell my collection in 20 or so years and make a little coin, so.... ??

Can never go wrong with that book, there are plenty around so it's not hard to find, and if you get it for 20-40 in NM you can actually flip it for a big margin right away after grading it. But I would ABSOLUTELY hold on to as many copies you can find around that price range. That book is timeless