• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would you consider this an "ashcan"?

6 posts in this topic

I received this in 1993 or 4 from a friend who told me his company was being tried out to do this acetate cover process. does a regular copy have this red cover ? the acetate plastic is on the outside of the cover page shown and there are 2 more of the cover pages in the book on page 7 and 17. there appears to be 2 back covers as well on page 15. The books story is out of order although i believe there is a complete mixed up story throughout. there is no price on the book? 

"Ash can" is an old term that used to be associated with a fairly raw comic being produced to secure the title or character - sort of a legal thing like a trademark. Several examples are posted here:

http://www.recalledcomics.com/GoldenAgeAshcans.php

Now it seems that the term is much more loosely applied to indicating more of a variant or limited edition.

-bc