• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The rise of Instagram sellers
12 12

239 posts in this topic

On 5/19/2021 at 1:22 PM, Dark Knight said:

Yeah I just started posting some stuff I collect and sometimes for sale on IG. I figured that it might be the best way to sell some stuff and also getting to know other collectors as well.

My IG if anyone wants to add: gothamcitycomicscollectibles

I’m @primetime_comics on IG. I haven’t offered any material there before, but I have purchased a few books privately there. 

Edited by Primetime

On 7/4/2020 at 7:41 AM, Erndog said:

One thing that has annoyed me a little is all the live auctions.  

I have 2 young kids.  I run my own business.  I can't watch your IG live for 3 hours to bid on the couple books I'm interested in.  Virtually impossible.  

Claim posts (just like on these boads) are MUCH better imo but to each their own.

Old post but still very relevant.  The live shows are very popular and there are some good deals but the format is bad and you can't see any detail on the comics.  

I am on Instagram as jeranimals_comics.  Pretty active buying and selling going on that platform.  Definitely worth checking out. 

Edited by jeranimal

Gang, I should have done this years ago.

I'm now vintagecomics_com / vintagecomics.com on IG - follow me with your comic buying and selling accounts and I'll follow back.

This is the business page, I have another page for personal followers at radovan_roy_delic if anyone is interested.

Edited by VintageComics

On 5/20/2021 at 4:19 PM, Robot Man said:

With no cons, the eBay mess, and barren websites I am even considering have to buy on IG.

You can also try the ShortBoxed app on one's cell phone. Currently lists thousands of slabs that retail $50 and up with ability to make an offer.

I've been on IG and buying and selling here and there for a number of years now. Buying is really hit or miss. You have to luck across the right book at the right time but sometimes the stars align. My IG name is @ryhyatt

I post both my life and comics. Going back over the years most of my collection has been posted on there and is still relevant... Because I'm a hoarder who rarely sells... (:

I actually landed a book on Shortboxed that I had been trying to find for some time. I thought Gene getting involved with myself and the seller is what made it happen, he negotiated on both sides to get to a price we were both happy with. 

As for IG sellers, I don't keep up with every little first appearance but some of those guys do.You need to know when the first appearance of the wood that made the handle of a bad guys knife, they know.  It does make for some interesting box digging in the "random S/A B/A boxes" these are all now in higher demand than the $3-5 range books they had just been apparently. Except for MP15, I guess I thought it had the Stamp cut out, so was certainly scratching my head as to why it was in that box. 

Raw finds.jpg

I used to sell LOTS on IG back in the day (3+ years ago), but probably nothing since. So many people selling now that I don't have the energy and time to try and stand out from the crowd anymore. I keep to my own FB page (and local FB pages) as well as some small events. 

On 7/21/2021 at 9:30 AM, KEY ISSUES Comics said:

I used to sell LOTS on IG back in the day (3+ years ago), but probably nothing since. So many people selling now that I don't have the energy and time to try and stand out from the crowd anymore. I keep to my own FB page (and local FB pages) as well as some small events. 

I feel the same. From my past experience, it seems everyone wants a killer deal on a book so they can make a quick buck off you. I just stick to Ebay and other auction sites for now.

On 7/21/2021 at 5:23 PM, Silver_Couch_Surfer said:

I feel the same. From my past experience, it seems everyone wants a killer deal on a book so they can make a quick buck off you. I just stick to Ebay and other auction sites for now.

I don’t pay much attention to IG for comics anymore. Same reason. A “flipper kids” paradise. That and a lot people just showing off. I can do both here and actually learn something as well. 

Reviving this old thread, as I didn't want to start a new one on the same subject.  Getting back into comics this year after a long hiatus, I tried my hand at some IG live sales last weekend.  A popular consignment account had a virtual comic-con with many sellers.  I bought a few comics, and I guess paid my tuition for my first lesson.  The issue is, as someone mentioned above, you can't see details of the comics.  I got a CGC 9.6 Moon Knight #1, which is more off-centered than I could tell in the feed video on my phone screen.  I got a few raw comics graded as 4.5-5.0 ($120 & $250), which are more 3.0-3.5.  I'm not interested in returning them, and possibly black listing my name.  I guess it's a first timer's lesson.

Anyone else buy from live sales often?  Any tips, to avoid this going forward, or is it just a risk you take?  You don't have time to ask for a close up view, as sometimes the books are claimed before you can hear the price, as there is video lag.  You have to be fast.

UPDATE: Just signed up for WhatNot just now.

Edited by Rob

I guess I am old fashioned, I still have my tried and true Facebook comic group and I am not even on Instagram. I do know people who have done very well with selling comics on IG, and it is a fantastic option for people, but I really dont want more social media in my life.