• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Share your MCFARLANE Original Art
2 2

37 posts in this topic

In 2006 I sold all my comics and bought 3 pieces of art...haven't bought any since then, went back to comics 

I don't even know what my art is even worth anymore.  

Edited by Kevin76

Has any of his Spawn work been sold, or is he keeping all of that stuff?

I've only seen pages from the other artists on the series.

4 hours ago, newshane said:

Very little Spawn art has made it to market. He's kept all his Spawn art from the series.  What has been released is promo stuff 

6 hours ago, newshane said:

6 hours ago, JadeGiant said:

He is keeping, at least that is my understanding

2 hours ago, Kevin76 said:

Very little Spawn art has made it to market. He's kept all his Spawn art from the series.  What has been released is promo stuff 

He has kept his pencils from the series, but some of his inks have been brought to market by other pencillers on the series.

Here is my one and only McSpidey page! Not an action page, but Spidey in all 4 panels and in costume, and a sexy Mary Jane in 2 panels. It makes me happy to finally have one, but very hard and over 10 years to finally get one. I was always priced out, as I mention on my CAF description. I also have a huge scan of it on my CAF for those who'd like to see.

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1372524

02031701.JPG

8 hours ago, exitmusicblue said:

Boom!  Not mine, LOL.

E4995365-479F-4BB4-81E5-EB0C2DC2B275.thumb.jpeg.f3cee5033ca05ee6a701dae466c04f43.jpeg

It's an iconic image for sure, though, between the heavy stats (both the cityscape and the 300s) and the main figure being lightboxed from the image that was used for ASM #301, I just wish there was more original McFarlane on the board.  Still a very cool piece, though!

Edited by delekkerste

3 hours ago, MagnusX said:

Great Art guys; congratulations...
I have a question, McFarlane use Inks, markers or a mix of both?
Thanks...

A mix of both, sadly. 

Most of his work is with good ink and has lasted well, especially the figure work. The problem areas with marker seem more in the backgrounds or when he did touch-ups and filled in missed blacks.

Here're some great examples from the game show 'Guess Where He Used Marker':

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/todd-mcfarlane-the-amazing-spider-man-322-page-11-original-art-marvel-1989-/a/7066-93306.s?ic4=ListView-Thumbnail-071515

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/todd-mcfarlane-amazing-spider-man-322-splash-page-1-original-art-marvel-1989-/a/7169-91090.s?ic4=ListView-Thumbnail-071515

Interestingly, that's a surprise positive to the few random inkers who tried Todd's pencils - those pages often aren't fading:)

This is similar to Liefeld too, whose NM87 inked by Wiacek looks pristine, whereas all issues inked by Liefeld have fading markers.

Here's a piece of Todd's I have inked by Pennington - the non-fading inking is a HUGE appeal! The sharpie signature Todd added a couple years ago will fade before the art will.

mcfarlane-keepsake-signed.thumb.jpg.41be4e47c5df682266f48613cbaa33b7.jpg

Edited by RabidFerret

Really sad,
knowing that the art will almost disappear with time.

I was asking because I have post a couple of time
my favorite page from Todd
Batman # 423

But under close examination
looks like the black areas are filled with markers,
I am not an expert just my opinion
an also I am not so sure stats and logos where used on this period of time.

Any opinion or input on that cover?

lfMD9L2S5B.thumb.jpg.5550e0432a9eaf3dba699a6a946babe9.jpg