• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 14 pricing?
1 1

24 posts in this topic

So it seems like this book is on the rise and I am really wanting a copy. There is a very good looking 4.5 on EBay right now, but he is wanting $1300 for it.  This looks like it would be the record sale for a 4.5. Seller has been great and got me a ton of pictures, and offers returns. 

Is this a ‘now or never’ book? Should I wait? I don’t mind spending $1300 on this book because it looks great, but will feel foolish if next week one pops up for $1k.

What do you guys think?

43 minutes ago, James Lawry said:

So it seems like this book is on the rise and I am really wanting a copy. There is a very good looking 4.5 on EBay right now, but he is wanting $1300 for it.  This looks like it would be the record sale for a 4.5. Seller has been great and got me a ton of pictures, and offers returns. 

Is this a ‘now or never’ book? Should I wait? I don’t mind spending $1300 on this book because it looks great, but will feel foolish if next week one pops up for $1k.

What do you guys think?

I took the liberty of doing a little research on this book. It definitely appears to be on an upward trend in value recently, even in this grade. It also looks to be a pretty nice copy, not bad for a 4.5. And the page quality is acceptable for a book from this era. My only question would be whether you've seen the grader's notes---they sometimes reveal a hidden flaw that can be a deal breaker. And I would also contact the seller directly to negotiate a lower price, since this book is still priced well over what the last copy in this grade sold for (just last month!) Personally, I usually take a day or so to thoroughly think these things over before I pull the trigger---it's a lot of money to spend on one book. I hope this helps, and good luck...

Edited by The Lions Den
Punctuation added

11 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

I took the liberty of doing a little research on this book. It definitely appears to be on an upward trend in value recently, even in this grade. It also looks to be a pretty nice copy, not bad for a 4.5. And the page quality is acceptable for a book from this era. My only question would be whether you've seen the grader's notes---they sometimes reveal a hidden flaw that can be a deal breaker. And I would also contact the seller directly to negotiate a lower price, since this book is still priced well over what the last copy in this grade sold for (just last month!) Personally, I usually take a day or so to thoroughly think these things over before I pull the trigger---it's a lot of money to spend on one book. I hope this helps, and good luck...

Thanks! I haven’t seen the grader notes on this one yet. I’m going to reach out and see if he has them, if not I might purchase them myself. 

Just now, James Lawry said:

Thanks! I haven’t seen the grader notes on this one yet. I’m going to reach out and see if he has them, if not I might purchase them myself. 

You're very welcome. The grader's notes have tipped the scales for me on numerous transactions (especially for more expensive books) and ultimately saved me a lot of coin...  (thumbsu

My .02 I would pass, this 6.0 sold for 1274 just a little over a month ago, ASM14 CGC 6.0.

ASM 14 is a fairly common book that has probably picked up steam with the Red Goblin storyliine going on right now. After the fervor over ASM 800 passes I would expect this book to dip a little but its a blue chipper in the run for sure. 

7 hours ago, James Lawry said:

I got him down $100 plus free shipping by going through PayPal directly. I’m going to go for it, like the look of this one a lot.

My favorite is when inexperienced  buyers buy without PayPal protection and circumvent eBay rules to overpay 

About three years ago, I bought VF copy for $450. One year ago, I submitted and got 7.0. Now, it is over $2000. That 4.5 copy is about $962 average on GPAnalysis.com. I understood why the dealer didn't want to miss the profit before it will go up.

I have a biggest regret that I sold ASM #1 CGC 5.0 SS three years ago. It is now over $9000. It is almost twice than I sold!  Don't worry about that price. Just invest it.

11 minutes ago, Spyder! said:

Wow, current prices for this book are insane.  I bought my current copy (CGC 3.5 signed by Stan) for just under $500 about 2 years ago.

For me, 14 and 31 have always been an undervalued ASM keys. The current ASM storyline has helped draw more attention to the Green Goblin. Since there is no Goblin movie hype, I think this is a case of a book truly deserving the love it is currently getting.

5 minutes ago, mysterio said:

#1, 3 and 14 are the biggest keys of the run IMO. I have been meaning to finally get around to picking up a #14 after selling my undercopy a while back, and it looks like I will be paying through the nose at current prices.

I completely agree, those are the 3 biggest keys.  I'm glad I kept my copies.  That being said, I didn't keep my copy of #13 and recently had to "pay through the nose" for that one.