• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fan Expo Vancouver October 12-14, 2018
1 1

117 posts in this topic

I had a chat with Harshen at NYCC and he explained why they opted not to do Vancouver, and ultimately it came down to having to do so many shows this fall, that the staff was being stretched pretty thin between all of these events - especially after the back to back weekends of Baltimore (on site grading) and NYCC (where they had two booths). There's certainly an opportunity here for a local facilitator with a CGC account to accept books. 

Well, it would appear that Harshen is indeed a gentleman and likes to be politically correct here. (thumbsu

But maybe we should call a spade a spade when we see it.  It must be the cheapo Vancouverite collectors like me who kept them so busy last year, they seem to have ample time to stamp out cobwebs at their booth, let along the fact that they were already basically shut down and gone by noontime on Sunday.  :facepalm:

Well, let's hope they give the Vancouver Fan Expo a second chance a second chance somewhere down the line.  :wishluck:

Edited by lou_fine

I'm pretty sure they will. 2019 dates will be announced this weekend. 

In the meantime, 2018's event is days away.

https://vancouversun.com/entertainment/local-arts/five-reasons-to-check-out-fan-expo-vancouver

https://604now.com/events/fan-expo-vancouver-2018/

http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/fan-expo-vancouver-october-2018

Edited by Kevin Boyd

9 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, it would appear that Harshen is indeed a gentleman and likes to be politically correct here. (thumbsu

But maybe we should call a spade a spade when we see it.  It must be the cheapo Vancouverite collectors like me who kept them so busy last year, they seem to have ample time to stamp out cobwebs at their booth, let along the fact that they were already basically shut down and gone by noontime on Sunday.  :facepalm:

Well, let's hope they give the Vancouver Fan Expo a second chance a second chance somewhere down the line.  :wishluck:

I hope so for next year!  Last year I dropped my 4 books at CGC booth on Saturday. Then on Sunday afternoon, they folded up early *poof* 9_9. I get to see them before they left. One guy told me he and his partner had to catch their flight back to the States, so they had to fold up early. 

Gee, that's changing the narrative that they packed up because of poor submissions.

The comic artist known as MORITAT will be joining us on Saturday, October 13th at table P41.

Currently doing interiors on Harley Quinn and recently covers for Dynamite's Sheena comic, past works include titles like Hellblazer and All-Star Western, and covers for Archie, Betty and Veronica and more.. 

Moritat.jpg

Edited by Kevin Boyd

4 hours ago, Kevin Boyd said:

Gee, that's changing the narrative that they packed up because of poor submissions.

The comic artist known as MORITAT will be joining us on Saturday, October 13th at table P41.

Currently doing interiors on Harley Quinn and recently covers for Dynamite's Sheena comic, past works include titles like Hellblazer and All-Star Western, and covers for Archie, Betty and Veronica and more.. 

Moritat.jpg

Sorry Kevin, I only know was what they told me last year. I went with that (shrug)

Whoa...quite the splash page! Wonder if he do commissions at his booth? I should go see about that. Thanks. 

On 10/9/2018 at 9:09 AM, Kevin Boyd said:

I had a chat with Harshen at NYCC and he explained why they opted not to do Vancouver. There's certainly an opportunity here for a local facilitator with a CGC account to accept books. 

fyi, Cam from Victoria's Freshly Pressed Comics will be at booth # 209 at FEV. He can press :nyah: one's comics then forward them to CGC or Voldemort Grading for slabbing.

58 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:

fyi, Cam from Victoria's Freshly Pressed Comics will be at booth # 209 at FEV. He can press :nyah: one's comics then forward them to CGC or Voldemort Grading for slabbing.

Actually according to there Facebook page-They will be accepting pressing submissions (no onsite pressing

Edited by fat11381
Error

Best Fan Expo ever ... by Vancouver standards. Perfect weather this weekend for cosplayers, as last week's cosplay parade in downtown Vancouver was rained out on Sat. There was a decent FF #48 Cgc for $3,500 that I am sorry to say looked more like a 7.0:

FhEhe6s.jpg

Harley had the best location right across from the front/south door and really brought the goods with his 67c comics for all the local lowballers. My buddy bought a long box full to read:

jQt74mO.jpg

Another collector was buying up most of Harley's SA Sub-mariner run except for the $500 hi-grade Subby #7.

Main complaint was there was no food stalls on the Expo floor. One had to go upstairs near the foyer entrance to find a small cafe that will likely run out of food this weekend. Most vendors will have to bring in a flat of bottled water or pop Sat. morning.

Close up of Anthill Nels' comics including scarce Tarzan b/w:

tBOlIve.jpg