• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Catching up last 35 years
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Hi All

I collected comics when I was a kid and stopped around 1980, accumulating
around 550 comics, but well chosen books - 90% Marvel 10% DC.
Now after 35 years Id like to continue collecting again. A lot has transpired
and I have a lot to learn.

I am trying to get an idea of what is worth collecting since 1980's in the Marvel/DC world.
Its a loaded question but any input would help. Or even if you know of an article thatll help.
Im looking for books that have good story lines, kick- artists and have gone up in value more than others.
Thanks.

Edited by moemaya

Welcome back!  Definitely a 'loaded' question.   There has been a lot going on in the last 38 years, some good, some bad, and some definitely average.  You will be getting a lot of opinions, and I am interested to see what they bring.   For the highlights, I will keep it short:

1) Frank Millers Daredevil run in the early 1980's was good

2) Captain America Volume 5, Ed Brubakers run, with the introduction of the 'Winter Soldier' was excellent

3) Batman 'New 52' run by Snyder/Capullo was also excellent. 

Wow, comics changed a lot after you got out. Here's some that are late 80's/early 90's which should illustrate how much they evolved over that period:

Frank Miller's Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
Alan Moore's Watchmen and Batman: The Killing Joke 
The Death of Superman (debatable whether it's great or not, but one of the more monumental events in comics)
Spider-Man: Kraven's Last Hunt

Any DC that's Alan Moore or Neil Gaiman (and most other Neil Gaiman too).

I think Jim Lee has been the most consistently good famous artist.

Daredevil has been the most consistently good Marvel book/character of the past thirty years.  Just stick with the main title, no need to deviate.

PS if you stopped in 1980, I think the New Teen Titans 2 1st app Deathstroke is probably one of the comics from that year that is worth the most.

Walt Simonson had a good run art-wise with Thor, FF, and X-Factor. The FF were really good, both art and story, during John Byrne's run. Chris Claremont wrote the X-men series well in the 80's and 90's and had a run of good artists; Byrne, Cockrum, Silvestri, Lee and a few others.

Thanks for asking the question and thanks for the answers so far! I'm hoping to see some more DC suggestions, most of what I know is about the Marvel Universe.

4 hours ago, Brian48 said:

I got back into the hobby in 2010 after a 30 year hiatus.  Unless you're investing, I recommend collecting the trades and catching up on all the great story lines.

also consider getting 'marvel unlimited'. Look it up.

Thought I would give an update on this. Its been almost a year since I posted this post and A LOT has transpired.

1- I rebranded a dormant ebay account that i owned which had almost 5000 feedbacks from my former accessory business. Now its all comics.

2 - I started selling my old collection - some had value - some dont - I learned whats worth collecting and what isnt.

3 - I learned how to grade. Although not a pro, my feedbacks are contantly patting me are the back for my fair grading.

4 - I purchased a large Bronze and Silver lot of 3000 books for really cheap which has kept me busy for the last year.

5- Im starting to get into baseball/sports cards.

Edited by moemaya

So what good runs/story arcs did you end up reading?   Had I been on this thread back then I would've recommended that Alan Moore/John Totelben Swamp Thing run and the Veitch followup run.  Not so much for monetary value but great stories/art.

On 6/22/2018 at 9:01 AM, Brian48 said:

I got back into the hobby in 2010 after a 30 year hiatus.  Unless you're investing, I recommend collecting the trades and catching up on all the great story lines.

YES! prices are sky high!