• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FedEx Not Accepting Comic Boxes

15 posts in this topic

I've been shipping short and long boxes on and off for a few years now through FedEx because FedEx Ground seems to be a good pricing option when selling a short or long box worth of comics through eBay or PayPal. The eBay/PayPal rates made it better than USPS or UPS. I've also received long and short boxes via FedEx. Each time I've shipped them with the double lid method for extra protection (lid taped on top and another one taped to the bottom).

Just last week I was shipping two short boxes within the state via FedEx using my typical double lid method. I took it to the 24/7 FedEx Office location (largest FedEx store in the county) and they would not accept either one because the box had "a lid" and that it wouldn't survive the sorting process. They also said they wouldn't accept Banker's Boxes for the same reason. They then offered to pack it in a larger boxt for a $12 fee. I declined and took the boxes home. The next day I went to another FedEx Office to drop off my short boxes. This time there was a less experienced guy at the counter and he said, "I don't think we can accept a box with a lid." Then the duty manager was next to him and said, "Just scan it, we'll put it in another box."

Two days later the boxes arrived at their destination on time, the way I packed them, and intact just like usual (though one of the bottom corners was dinged up, thank goodness for the double lid method!). 

I'm shipping two more short boxes this week and am going through USPS for an extra $5 or so just to avoid the hassle of FedEx saying that they won't take it and then they take it.

Maybe I just need to drop off all of my FedEx short boxes at 6 am to the person working the midnight shift and could care less. 

Anyone else getting told this by FedEx employees?

Strange practice for them, to be honest. Usually they do not behave this way and do not use double standards. But everything happens for the first time. I did not have the most pleasant case of cargo damage and after that I refused their services, although the cost was repaid to me. In general, I am cooperating with another freight forwarding company. They deliver goods at their best and the price is not much

3 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

My question is, where can I buy just a 2nd lid for a short or long box? I don't think any vendor I came across would not sell just the lid without buying the box as well.

About $1 for a new lid from Hotflips

I had the same problem  at FEDEX_Kinkos  last year.  Had a long box with top and bottom lid that I was sending to MYCOMICSHOP and they ( FEDEX) would not accept it.

There was a USPS location in the same shopping mall, and the same result.

Finally  I went to a UPS store  also in the same complex.  This guy would happily ship.  He must have used half a roll of tape wrapping around the box for free.  Price was reasonable, and the box arrived  without incident.  I have already sent another box through him  and plan to do so for future shipments.  I good location  can earn the business.

2 hours ago, jmg3637 said:

I had the same problem  at FEDEX_Kinkos  last year.  Had a long box with top and bottom lid that I was sending to MYCOMICSHOP and they ( FEDEX) would not accept it.

There was a USPS location in the same shopping mall, and the same result.

Finally  I went to a UPS store  also in the same complex.  This guy would happily ship.  He must have used half a roll of tape wrapping around the box for free.  Price was reasonable, and the box arrived  without incident.  I have already sent another box through him  and plan to do so for future shipments.  I good location  can earn the business.

Yes, lots of tape is a must.

Sounds like this "rule" is sporadically enforced by different companies in select locations. 

I found short boxes with flaps but I prefer the regular short boxes with double lids. 

The problem with shipping FedEx, unlike USPS, is there declared value will not pay the cost you paid for the book if lost or damaged while in transit.  For example, if you paid $20k for a Green Lantern 1 in the event something happens they are only going to pay out 10 cents. Regardless if you have proof of what you paid.  Your only option using FedEx is to carry a private insurance plan.

Edited by HENRYSPENCER

On 6/27/2018 at 1:14 PM, HENRYSPENCER said:

The problem with shipping FedEx, unlike USPS, is there declared value will not pay the cost you paid for the book if lost or damaged while in transit.  For example, if you paid $20k for a Green Lantern 1 in the event something happens they are only going to pay out 10 cents. Regardless if you have proof of what you paid.  Your only option using FedEx is to carry a private insurance plan.

Good point. 

They were still the most reasonable for shipping a long box of X-People 90s drek which is uninsurable (really who is going to insure that stuff?)

There is a good possibility there will be an alternative to the shipping issue. It will probably be blue trucks, with a big "A" painted on it, and it might require shipping using Amazon, but still......choices are a good thing.

On 6/27/2018 at 1:14 PM, HENRYSPENCER said:

They offer additional insurance to the $100 that comes automatically on every express or ground package through what they call the 'replacement cost'.  Just a few weeks ago I mailed a 17 slab consignment to an auction house by FedEx Ground and was able to purchase $6K of replacement insurance (there's a $50K limit).  With slabs, it's relatively straightforward to document replacement values thanks to GPAnalysis.

Have you had bad experience getting FedEx to pay out a well documented replacement cost for items you insured?

Edited by namisgr

On 6/28/2018 at 7:41 PM, namisgr said:

They offer additional insurance to the $100 that comes automatically on every express or ground package through what they call the 'replacement cost'.  Just a few weeks ago I mailed a 17 slab consignment to an auction house by FedEx Ground and was able to purchase $6K of replacement insurance (there's a $50K limit).  With slabs, it's relatively straightforward to document replacement values thanks to GPAnalysis.

Have you had bad experience getting FedEx to pay out a well documented replacement cost for items you insured?

I have never had to file a claim with FedEx but was told (or perhaps I read) the adjuster would only pay out based on the original purchase price of the item. I know it sounds scary and no clue if this is true and fortunately never tested the waters.  I heard UPS is the same way and the only way to CYA is to ship Registered Mail through the USPO.  The problem with Registered Mail is it's incredibly slow and I have found when sending packages the higher risk for damage and loss comes the longer the package is in route.  Also for Registered Mail, you can't purchase insurance through USPS.com you must go into a post office.  This becomes a nightmare with the clerks questioning you as to the insurance amount and wanting to inspect everything while there are people standing in line.

I use FedEx but have a policy covering inbound and outbound shipments with CollectInsure.com.  Nice folks who work there though quasi-disorganized and again I have never had to file a claim.  The problem with CollectInsure.com is they won't allow you to have just shipping insurance you must also have the dealers policy which can be pretty damn expensive given one's coverage. Dealers policy's through CollectInsure are very expensive, and you must have the dealer policy to get the shipping coverage.  They won't give you shipping coverage on a collector's policy which is far cheaper.

https://www.shipsurance.com/

I have used shipinsurance.com who will insure collectibles and certain artworks (make certain to check if what you are shipping qualifies).  I know someone who does millions of dollars in jewelry sales on eBay every year and uses ShipInsurance.com along with UPS for high dollar shipments.  Never filed a claim with them though.

Edited by HENRYSPENCER