• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I restore this?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I purchased this piece recently and was in for a surprise when my framer, whom I had it directly mailed to, showed me this significant wrinkling. Unfortunately this was not disclosed prior.

He says, “The piece is wrinkling because it has a white tape border around it.  The tape has shrunk over time and is causing buckling.  I sampled a corner of the tape, it’s not something I’d be comfortable removing, as well I’m not sure it would help.  The paper is very sheer, not the kind of stuff that typically bounces back well.  There is also tape on the back compounding the problem.”

I spoke to Robert Dennis and he said he could remove the tape and flatten it, providing his tests succeeded and his solvents would not affect the paint. 

Would removing the tape and flattening this piece affect the value of the art? While it’s only a colour guide, it’s also the only Akira cover to ever hit the market, so it’s something I want to be a good custodian of. Preferably, I’d like to keep at least the back tape given the text. 

Any insight is appreciated, not used to restoring art as I collect very recent works. Thanks!

EE6AA8E4-EB59-4452-ABBF-2AB529BC761F.png

9E76797E-9672-4152-9819-7C3467C5BEED.png

Edited by Mr. Machismo

I'd remove the tape since it's a problem that will only continue to cause further problems and increasing defects.

Restoration won't impact the value nor removal of any aftermarket production elements like tape.

What I would NOT do is any color touch ups if any parts or pieces are inherently damaged as it's handled and the tape is removed, relegating it to the proverbial "it is what it is" status, which with Original Art and "one of a kind" pieces like this, has minimal impact on value since it is a one of a kind item and not like someone can pass on it and wait for a better one to come up for sale later on.

Absolutely. Have all the tape removed and you can just bag the piece that has the title written on it. You mention it’s a color guide. Is it the final version used to print the cover? And if it’s hand painted by Oliff (or someone else) it’s defintely not a color guide but original published art. Even if he painted over a copy of the lines. I don’t know that he did, just asking.

3 hours ago, Grails said:

Absolutely. Have all the tape removed and you can just bag the piece that has the title written on it. You mention it’s a color guide. Is it the final version used to print the cover? And if it’s hand painted by Oliff (or someone else) it’s defintely not a color guide but original published art. Even if he painted over a copy of the lines. I don’t know that he did, just asking.

Yes, it’s the final version used to print the cover, hand painted by Oliff. 

Thanks all for the informative replies. Looks like removing tape is the way to go. 

I would.

Here's my standard answer on restoration questions. It might be useful.

---------

In the many threads on paper conservation, the names that recur the most were:

Robert Dennis 

Gordon Christman

• ggc2k@hotmail.com
  • Gordon doesn't seem to have a web presence, but his snail mail address and phone number are:
  • GORDON G. CHRISTMAN 
  • RESTORATION & CONSERVATION 
  • 330 SOUTH HORNE STREET #L 
  • OCEANSIDE CA 92054 
  • TEL:  760 439 7970
  • CEL:  760 458 2290

I also had one recommendation for:

I would add that most major museums know of paper conservators. You might want to contact someone at a local museum and see if there is a conservator close to you.

10 hours ago, alxjhnsn said:

I would.

Here's my standard answer on restoration questions. It might be useful.

---------

In the many threads on paper conservation, the names that recur the most were:

Robert Dennis 

Gordon Christman

• ggc2k@hotmail.com
  • Gordon doesn't seem to have a web presence, but his snail mail address and phone number are:
  • GORDON G. CHRISTMAN 
  • RESTORATION & CONSERVATION 
  • 330 SOUTH HORNE STREET #L 
  • OCEANSIDE CA 92054 
  • TEL:  760 439 7970
  • CEL:  760 458 2290

I also had one recommendation for:

I would add that most major museums know of paper conservators. You might want to contact someone at a local museum and see if there is a conservator close to you.

I had Tracy restore my Batman 1 several years back.  It involved removing tape from the entire spine.  He did a nice job.  I have not heard much about him in several years.