• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

selling to mycomicshop.com
1 1

43 posts in this topic

I should have read the old threads on this topic.  Horrible experience and unfortunately I sent them a bunch of stuff instead of a trial sample.  Unread undistributed books that were bagged/boarded from new and I have submitted and received 9.8's through cgc become VF's magically with their system.  Waste of time and money

Just now, JollyComics said:

Stain?

They said it had impact damage on the corners. I assume it somehow got damaged either during shipment or during unpacking. I was not a happy camper to see that grade.

25 minutes ago, AllStar-Comics said:

I should have read the old threads on this topic.  Horrible experience and unfortunately I sent them a bunch of stuff instead of a trial sample.  Unread undistributed books that were bagged/boarded from new and I have submitted and received 9.8's through cgc become VF's magically with their system.  Waste of time and money

I would agree with this. About 90% of new/unread read books I've sent in get the VF grade. I'm fine with it because for non-keys ... it's a nominal difference. One of my favorite times was sending them a 6.0 book that was bought by them originally. I sent it back in their original bag and board. It was graded at a VG. Sure grading could have gotten more strict...but then I think...how off was their grading for other books I bought at that time.

11 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

grade low, sell high

That is one of the funny things I notice about many ebay sellers.

Lets say you have a SA book that is actually a 7.0 with a FMV of 100.00.   One seller might grade it as a 5.5, and another might grade it as an 8.5.  But, in each case they price it at 100.00.  It's like they both know what the book is actually worth,  but they each have their own little reason for putting a bogus grade on the book.

In the case of MCS, I guess they want the rep of being "strict graders."  But, if your going to attach a 7.0 price to a book that you give a 5.5, then your "strict grading" is totally meaningless as the grade you assign it has no bearing on the price of your item.  It's just a gimmick on their part.  

My problem is they downgraded every book to VF or less  Every book.  90% was unsold new stock that was bagged/boarded from new No explanation how 40 mint copies of the same 1990's era wolverine is a VF when those same books from CGC would be 9.6's and 9.8's   So lesson learned. I think its dishonest at best if not outright thievery

Same experience here, I have a decent track record submitting books to CGC.  When I sent books to MCS, they seem to automatically drop a full point (9.6 become 8.5) and then sometimes more.  They do great when selling slabs as there is nothing to dispute.

16 minutes ago, Von Cichlid said:

In the case of MCS, I guess they want the rep of being "strict graders."  But, if your going to attach a 7.0 price to a book that you give a 5.5, then your "strict grading" is totally meaningless as the grade you assign it has no bearing on the price of your item.  It's just a gimmick on their part.  

I truly believe this is an overreaction to past times when their grading reputation was not good. I look at raw comics on their site and at times it's obvious that the comic is undergraded. Great for buyers. Not so great if you want to sell them raw comics.

Edited by Jerkfro

35 minutes ago, Jerkfro said:

I truly believe this is an overreaction to past times when their grading reputation was not good. I look at raw comics on their site and at times it's obvious that the comic is undergraded. Great for buyers. Not so great if you want to sell them raw comics.

I have had great luck getting nice copies from MCS, when choosing their VF (8.0) books, many of them look nicer than VF.  Scan would be better than a photo for this book, but i think it is quite nice for VF.

310363359_PREDATOR1.thumb.jpg.b7d16849cef823ef3d50e4de14afb63f.jpg

12 hours ago, Leo-man said:

I would agree with this. About 90% of new/unread read books I've sent in get the VF grade. I'm fine with it because for non-keys ... it's a nominal difference. One of my favorite times was sending them a 6.0 book that was bought by them originally. I sent it back in their original bag and board. It was graded at a VG. Sure grading could have gotten more strict...but then I think...how off was their grading for other books I bought at that time.

Yup, exact same here. I have maybe a 15% success rate where they agree with my grades. Like you, I've also sent stuff back that I bought from them originally (some Miracleman later issues) in the NM range that got knocked down into VF. Never removed them from the bag and still had their stickers on the back. That really cost me a good bit of money. Their selling tool is great though and it's a good way to dump random issues that are taking up valuable space. I haven't sold anything to them for a few years, I think, but if I were going to send stuff at this point, it wouldn't be anything worth more than a few bucks each just to minimize the hit I would take on the grades.

I don't buy raw books from them too often as it seems they rarely have anything I want above VF/NM or NM-, but several folks on here have said they thought the books they received were undergraded, so that's a win if you're buying. If that's the case, they may just be harsh across the board and, of course, they have a nice page on their site which shows their grading standards and that isn't necessarily going to correspond with CGC's standards.

With all that said, I still buy from them once every few months and the site is one of the best out there in terms of information (I use it almost daily), so I'm happy to support some aspects of their business.

12 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

grade low, sell high

In my experience they often sell low too. The first time I got an accurately graded book from them I was disappointed! lol

I sent in quite a few and I too was disappointed with a lot of the grades, like books I thought were NM dropping to VF, but the "plus" side is that these were all "common" books that would have been a big PIA for me to unload myself that were part of a larger collection (which already generating profit), so while even though most of the books dropped from what I thought, I was still able to move a lot of common stuff that would have otherwise taken me forever to sell on my own. So, glass half full here.

while I agree with most of the sentiments of this topic that they are very harsh graders, I have sold to them many times and the thought that I am correct in my grading at 10-15% of the time would be accurate, if you don't take it personal and want to move a lot of stuff quickly that you purchased to flip anyway, you will not be disappointed they pay quickly and its stuff I don't have use or the time to list on ebay they are not a bad option. You need to take their grading with a grain of salt as it is not a personal attack just business.......

Now don't get me started on their shipping "rebate" that is harder to take than their harsh grading. what costs me $15 to ship they rebate about 20% of what it costs me......you have to balance out the fees for paypal, ebay etc and compare to what you can get from  lonestar knowing the issues before you ship out stuff. but 10-15% grading success is pretty accurate. now maybe if you had the ability to press your own stuff you'd do better with them

honestly their grading is extremely inaccurate.  I have purchase a lot of 6.0 run filler books from them.  almost none of the books are actually 6.0.  I have gotten quite a few bargains and the books are easily 8.0.  on the flip side I have also received 4.0 books and the person grading it a 6.0 had to be blind.  in the end it about evens out and like I said they are run fillers so I don't care too much.  but to say they are accurate graders would be the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.  90% of my books ive purchased are not graded accurately.  you just have to hope it works in your favor more than it doesn't.