• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who was the original owner?

14 posts in this topic

I've purchased many CGC graded books from the secondary market. Lately I've wondered where some of these treasures originated from.

Is there a way to determine who submitted these comics for grading?

Is this information provided if you purchase the grading notes?

Does CGC even keep records of who submitted a comic for grading?

5 minutes ago, Randys_Comics said:

I've purchased many CGC graded books from the secondary market. Lately I've wondered where some of these treasures originated from.

Is there a way to determine who submitted these comics for grading?  Not that I know of.  Sometimes, a boardie will recognize a book if someone posts it but I hang out in the GA forum where it is easier to recognize a book and know if you were a previous owner (not necessarily the submitter though).

Is this information provided if you purchase the grading notes? No. 

Does CGC even keep records of who submitted a comic for grading? I would assume but I doubt they would provide it.  I know if I were a submitter, I would hope CGC would keep that information private and undisclosed.  

Just curious, why would you want this information?  

7 minutes ago, telerites said:

Is there a way to determine who submitted these comics for grading?  Not that I know of.  Sometimes, a boardie will recognize a book if someone posts it but I hang out in the GA forum where it is easier to recognize a book and know if you were a previous owner (not necessarily the submitter though).

Is this information provided if you purchase the grading notes? No. 

Does CGC even keep records of who submitted a comic for grading? I would assume but I doubt they would provide it.  I know if I were a submitter, I would hope CGC would keep that information private and undisclosed.  

Just curious, why would you want this information?  

As far as I know, CGC will always keep the submitter information private. What I like to do when I purchase a book is to ask the person selling it if they know any history about the book they're selling. I always enjoy a good story...:)

7 minutes ago, Randys_Comics said:

Not really.

38 minutes ago, Randys_Comics said:

No.

Yes. They also provide their address and details on their schedule and security measures. But only with the Deluxe Grading Notes. :insane:

38 minutes ago, Randys_Comics said:

Probably, but they won't release that information.

I think the only exception would be 'file' copies or 'pedigrees' which are special collections (of a place or person) that are denoted by CGC on the slab.  You can google what that means.  But some of them are pretty cool.  So if you buy those specific comics, you can have an idea of the provenance of your comic.

26 minutes ago, revat said:

I think the only exception would be 'file' copies or 'pedigrees' which are special collections (of a place or person) that are denoted by CGC on the slab.  You can google what that means.  But some of them are pretty cool.  So if you buy those specific comics, you can have an idea of the provenance of your comic.

I thought the OP was asking for the person who submitted the book and not the provenance but for sure peds and books from noted collections are fun to collect.

3 minutes ago, telerites said:
32 minutes ago, revat said:

I thought the OP was asking for the person who submitted the book and not the provenance but for sure peds and books from noted collections are fun to collect.

I think you're right, but for a lot of the 'file copies' and 'pedigrees', you can also figure out (or make educated guesses) who was the submitter originally, although it might take some additional research.

Also, the first line of the original post seems to indicate she's interested in the origins of her comics.

1 hour ago, The Lions Den said:

What I like to do when I purchase a book is to ask the person selling it if they know any history about the book they're selling. I always enjoy a good story...:)

I often do the same thing, especially if it's a bigger book or rare in grade. You'd be surprised at how often the owner has some interesting background on the book.  

3 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I often do the same thing, especially if it's a bigger book or rare in grade. You'd be surprised at how often the owner has some interesting background on the book.  

Same. I always think it's a plus when I find out some of my bigger books were from original owner collections.

On 7/5/2018 at 5:40 PM, JollyComics said:

I believe CGC has graded over 4 million comic books.  It's impossible to record everything everyday.

I'm sure CGC has kept excellent records,especially when it comes to billing. 

On 7/6/2018 at 5:49 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

I'm sure CGC has kept excellent records,especially when it comes to billing. 

True but they bought the books from the original owners. Some are nameless for ages.  I did ask the sellers for the original owners' names. They forgot or won't tell me the names.

Edited by JollyComics