• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steve Ditko has passed
4 4

167 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, sfcityduck said:

Nah.  You should be more careful.  I was posting against the notion that Marie Severin stole the art, which is the theory that some here have pushed.  

Okay if that's your opinion sfcityduck, I'll stop posting my sensible ravings. One last thing I'm sorry No-man for misquoting you I can assure you it won't happen again as it is was a noob mistake. 

1 minute ago, tv horror said:

I would be very careful using words like that, Ms Severin is a highly respected artist and person and no one here has even hinted at an accusation. 

Actually, numerous folks here have made that accusation.  

The AF 15 art was stolen from Marvel.  It should have been returned to Ditko and never was.  Folks here are claiming that MS sold the art to a collector to fund her retirement. If you can't connect the dots that the people telling that story are leaving out, I can't help you.

Personally, I don't believe the "MS did it" version of events.  Mandel wasn't talking about AF 15.  He never owned AF 15 (he does own a lot of other great art he has publicly put on display in places like the UO art museum). His Marie Severin story appears to concern an entirely different issue and I'd never heard it before.  Instead, I've heard two other version of how all the early Marvel art was stolen, which I've relayed above.  

So, no, I'm not accusing Marie Severin of anything.  

Ditko is a controversial guy with a lot of "out there" opinion.  But, I tend to agree with this quote from the Chicago Tribune article posted above:

In 1993, he railed against Marvel for treating its creators poorly and chastised the company for not investigating the missing comic book pages.  ."It rewards, gratifies and sanctions the 'original artwork' thieves and their thieves' market,"

Very little of the Ditko and Kirby original art traded by collectors who profess to love those artists was returned to Ditko and Kirby, as it should have been by Marvel, and then sold by Ditko and Kirby into the collector market.  It came from a different source.

I think it is fair to say that the market for early Marvel Kirby and Ditko original art can fairly be described, as Ditko did, as a "thieves market."  Which is why this art market was essentially underground for so many years, and why the covers to all of the early Marvel comics are still in "hiding."

I applaud whoever it was who found their moral compass and offered to Ditko to return the AF 15 interior art back to him or to the LoC, and then carried through with the donation to the LoC.  I hope that is not an isolated incident to band-aid that person's conscience.

Sadly, other seminal Marvel stories are reported to have been broken up, like FF 1, as they traversed the underground OA market.

Edited by sfcityduck

18 minutes ago, tv horror said:

Okay if that's your opinion sfcityduck, I'll stop posting my sensible ravings. One last thing I'm sorry No-man for misquoting you I can assure you it won't happen again as it is was a noob mistake. 

It's not a problem. Thanks for the apology.

34 minutes ago, mr_highgrade said:

Has your wife had a chance to speak to his niece? Also, I believe Steve's brother past away last March.

She has a out going message on her work phone that says she’s out for medical reasons for an undetermined amount of time. 

She’s a wonderful person that does important work and I hope she’s ok. When I find out more I’ll pass it along. 

I believe Ditko had a total of 12 brothers and sisters. 

Edited by NoMan