• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can anything be done.....
1 1

76 posts in this topic

Water stain affecting edge of front and back cover. Internal pages not affected.

Pages and cover are flat.

Is this something that can be fixed?

Thanks, Joe

_MG_0476.jpg

_MG_0477.jpg

Edited by jokiing
Add photo

Considering that the stain on the front cover is minimal and there is no other damage I think you make a good point. For what it is, not worth the expense to end up with a restored book. Thanks. 

4 hours ago, jokiing said:

Considering that the stain on the front cover is minimal and there is no other damage I think you make a good point. For what it is, not worth the expense to end up with a restored book. Thanks. 

If the paper isn't flat, although a press won't remedy the stain, it may improve the three-dimensional quality, giving it a flatter, more uniform appearance. Joey Post would be the one here most qualified to advise on this, but he'd probably need a few more angles to see how the stained area lays..

Paper is flat, no ripples.... not sure what stained it.... and interior pages appear unaffected. Overall, in pretty good condition.

Just out of curiosity, how much of an investment am I looking at to have it cleaned and pressed? ...and as a restoration, how does that affect it's overall value?

_MG_0479.jpg

_MG_0481.jpg

_MG_0475.jpg

2 hours ago, jokiing said:

Paper is flat, no ripples.... not sure what stained it.... and interior pages appear unaffected. Overall, in pretty good condition.

Just out of curiosity, how much of an investment am I looking at to have it cleaned and pressed? ...and as a restoration, how does that affect it's overall value?

It was mentioned that getting it washed may remove the stains but it would be considered restoration. Getting this cleaned and pressed is not restoration but it won't remove the stains nor improve the grade. Restoration really hurts the desirability of the book. The stain also hurts the desirability of the book. IMO, in summary, there's not much you can do here. It's a stinker but it's still a key book so it has value.

15 minutes ago, JollyComics said:

Have it graded. Sell it then use the money to buy the upgraded book.

Is it really worth getting professionally graded? As Bomber-Bob mentioned, it is a key book with value, but with the damage being so obvious, what would be the advantage? If the book was rare and not easily found with a high grade I would not hesitate to have it graded. I'm not arguing against having the comic graded,  I just don't have enough experience, regarding pro grading, to know what would be the upside to doing so.

10 hours ago, jokiing said:

Is it really worth getting professionally graded? As Bomber-Bob mentioned, it is a key book with value, but with the damage being so obvious, what would be the advantage? If the book was rare and not easily found with a high grade I would not hesitate to have it graded. I'm not arguing against having the comic graded,  I just don't have enough experience, regarding pro grading, to know what would be the upside to doing so.

Regarding getting it graded, it's a tough call. There is no doubt you can sell it just the way it is. If put in auction, you can advertise it as not pressed/cleaned and possibly get an 'opportunity' premium . Some people like projects. If you get it cleaned, pressed, and graded, it will sell for exactly the FMV of the grade on the label, maybe less because of the eye appeal. You are also gambling on how CGC will grade it. I have a feeling CGC will not be kind to this stain. If it were my book, I would sell it raw in auction. Minimally, this is the quickest route .

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Regarding getting it graded, it's a tough call. There is no doubt you can sell it just the way it is. If put in auction, you can advertise it as not pressed/cleaned and possibly get an 'opportunity' premium . Some people like projects. If you get it cleaned, pressed, and graded, it will sell for exactly the FMV of the grade on the label, maybe less because of the eye appeal. You are also gambling on how CGC will grade it. I have a feeling CGC will not be kind to this stain. If it were my book, I would sell it raw in auction. Minimally, this is the quickest route .

Thanks guys, for the advice.... I'm old school and was mainly collecting in the early 70's thru late 90's.... so the process of slabbing comics is a somewhat new concept.  It is a tough call whether or not to have it graded. My initial thought was to sell it raw. One of the lowest slabbed copies that I saw sold on ebay was a 3.5  for $480. Any ideas what range CGC could grade my copy? That's the few hundred dollar question.... Taking the stain and cost of slabbing into consideration I'm thinking a raw sale might be my best option....

1 hour ago, jokiing said:

Thanks guys, for the advice.... I'm old school and was mainly collecting in the early 70's thru late 90's.... so the process of slabbing comics is a somewhat new concept.  It is a tough call whether or not to have it graded. My initial thought was to sell it raw. One of the lowest slabbed copies that I saw sold on ebay was a 3.5  for $480. Any ideas what range CGC could grade my copy? That's the few hundred dollar question.... Taking the stain and cost of slabbing into consideration I'm thinking a raw sale might be my best option....

I would post the pics in the "Please Grade My" section, and there you will various opinions.  Good luck!

1 hour ago, jokiing said:

I would keep it simple and list in auction and don't reference a specific grade. Put up good pics and give the 'usual' spiel about not being a professional grader, look at the pics for details. Mention there is cover stains, not on the interior, and the book has not been pressed or cleaned. I bet it will do well.

2 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

This!

Normally, I would agree but I don't think he will be happy with the grade. I think it will do better raw with pics, let the bidder decide the grade.

8 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Normally, I would agree but I don't think he will be happy with the grade. I think it will do better raw with pics, let the bidder decide the grade.

Raw is the way to go for this book. Listen to Bob, don't let anybody dissuade you. .

Edited by James J Johnson

16 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

I thought of that but here's my logic. CGC slabbed, it's not only more liquid, drawing a bigger pool of bidders, and optimal $$$ results based on the label grade, but it's a sure sale. Buyer submits it, gets a 3.0 or 3.5, the seller is going to get a return if he called it a Fine or something of that nature.. Also, IMO, you list a 129 CGC graded 3.5 that presents like a 7.0, and mention how nice it is except for a very small moisture damaged area, the bidding will go well above 3.0/3.5 levels. I see this all the time on ebay. Either way, I think he'll get about the same price on ebay with reduced risk because it's CGC slabbed.

Good logic with all opinions.... Thanks!... Not making it easy... but I'm leaning towards Bomber-Bob's advice....

7 hours ago, jokiing said:

Good logic with all opinions.... Thanks!... Not making it easy... but I'm leaning towards Bomber-Bob's advice....

Boo-yah. Go with Bob's advice. Raw. I don't know what I was even thinking! I was wrong, as usual!

Edited by James J Johnson

2 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

Might be a tad bit more money that way, going raw, but once they have it slabbed, and I always assume that most key issue purchases of raw books generate a quick submission to the CGC, when they get wind of the CGC grade, if they paid more than the market value for the book than CGC market value of the resulting grade, there will be a dispute, followed by a return.

That aside, go with your instinct.

For this very reason, I specifically stated do not place a grade on the book in the listing...... 

Put up good pics and give the 'usual' spiel about not being a professional grader, look at the pics for details. Mention there is cover stains, not on the interior, and the book has not been pressed or cleaned.

let the bidder decide the grade.

Edited by Bomber-Bob