• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ross Andru's Amazing Spider-Man Club
9 9

2,724 posts in this topic

I love this thread.  The 176-180 run came in my first year subscription of ASM at age 11 in 1978.  Couldn't wait to get the next issue each month.  I absolutely loved comics and especially Spidey at that time.  This is bringing back some great memories. 

And yes, I still have them!

15 minutes ago, makeminemarvel said:

I love this thread.  The 176-180 run came in my first year subscription of ASM at age 11 in 1978.  Couldn't wait to get the next issue each month.  I absolutely loved comics and especially Spidey at that time.  This is bringing back some great memories. 

And yes, I still have them!

You have excellent taste MMM. Let's see them then :headbang:

On 12/24/2018 at 7:32 AM, MGsimba77 said:

Here's a couple more panels from 137. I'm pretty sure you already know which of the three 💣 was the real one ... 

RCO013_1469439235.jpg

My favourite #137 page :whistle:

1432686150_ASM137Page14.thumb.jpg.38d7988455666f40a0911acc2e7b089f.jpg

5 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

My favourite #137 page :whistle:

1432686150_ASM137Page14.thumb.jpg.38d7988455666f40a0911acc2e7b089f.jpg

Wow that's some heavy weaponry there Marwood! Nice!!! That's where he figures out goblin got the bomb material in the truck. 

How big is the page? I've never seen any of these art pages in person. Could it be sent to CGC for encapsulation?

Edited by MGsimba77

19 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

Wow that's some heavy weaponry there Marwood! Nice!!! That's where he figures out goblin got the bomb material in the truck. 

How big is the page? I've never seen any of these art pages in person. Could it be sent to CGC for encapsulation?

Comic art boards are typically 11" by 17", but can vary (large art).  I do not think CGC does art encapsulation, but there are products out there for archival storage of original comic art.  I used acid free backing boards and art size mylars to store my art.  

I love the notes the production team made to each other on the original art pages.  Example on Marwood's page, someone tells the colorist to make sure the pumpkin bomb fragments are orange.  

image.png.4f6a3e0d90d40aed24b3c3e0cd0b779c.pngimage.png.56e9e0ecfda43b12ff534b41e29371e1.png 

On 1/3/2019 at 8:17 PM, Spider-Variant said:

That's an awesome page Get Marwood!  I sold my only Andru page a few years back and still rue it to this day.  Maybe more so than getting rid of my Amazing Fantasy 15.

Yep. AF#15 is achievable tomorrow if you have enough money. Obviously, the uniqueness of each original Andru ASM page makes them all the harder to obtain and I have to say, makes them much more pleasing to own. They're the last thing I will let go. 

On 1/3/2019 at 9:46 PM, MGsimba77 said:

How big is the page?

Cheers my fellow Andru fan :)

Here's an indication of size - a copy of the actual book folded outwards against the back of the art page:

187195219_ASM137Page14b.thumb.jpg.70aecf7f7021388bb3d65eb5be2d45b5.jpg

Not the best photo, but you get the idea

20 hours ago, Spider-Variant said:

Comic art boards are typically 11" by 17", but can vary (large art).  I do not think CGC does art encapsulation, but there are products out there for archival storage of original comic art.  I used acid free backing boards and art size mylars to store my art.  

I love the notes the production team made to each other on the original art pages.  Example on Marwood's page, someone tells the colorist to make sure the pumpkin bomb fragments are orange.  

image.png.4f6a3e0d90d40aed24b3c3e0cd0b779c.pngimage.png.56e9e0ecfda43b12ff534b41e29371e1.png 

All my pages are in Mylars too. They look great. The little notes are cool aren't they - we're sitting here 35 years later admiring what to Ross was probably something he just rattled off whilst thinking about that nights dinner :cloud9:

8 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

The little notes are cool aren't they - we're sitting here 35 years later admiring what to Ross was probably something he just rattled off whilst thinking about that nights dinner :cloud9:

You mean 44 & a half years later...(thumbsu:preach:

I know they're security concerns but you ever think about framing that, hanging it on your wall? 

Edited by MGsimba77

53 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

You mean 44 & a half years later...

I was never any good at maths :p

53 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

I know they're security concerns but you ever think about framing that, hanging it on your wall? 

It's tempting...

I talked the other day about how I enjoyed those little notes by the production team to one another on the original art pages.  Most times, notes on the art board were  in blue pencil, as to not be reproduced during the production process.  Here is a panel though from ASM 149 where these production notes were transferred to the final published page.  (Note: The pic below is from a Spider-Man Essential, but I am fairly sure this defect can be seen on the comic page from an issue of ASM 149).  Notice the number "8" in the word balloon above Betty's hair.   This is the eighth word balloon/dialogue box on the page.  

Anyway, this is the only example I have seen, thought it was interesting.

image.png

Edited by Spider-Variant

2 hours ago, Spider-Variant said:

I talked the other day about how I enjoyed those little notes by the production team to one another on the original art pages.  Most times, notes on the art board were  in blue pencil, as to not be reproduced during the production process.  Here is a panel though from ASM 149 where these production notes were transferred to the final published page.  (Note: The pic below is from a Spider-Man Essential, but I am fairly sure this defect can be seen on the comic page from an issue of ASM 149).  Notice the number "8" in the word balloon above Betty's hair.   This is the eighth word balloon/dialogue box on the page.  

Anyway, this is the only example I have seen, thought it was interesting.

image.png

It can be seen in the actual comic SV, yes:

149.PNG.975d412912a7f9a8abe73e990e16919c.PNG

I like this kind of thing. The old school way of making comics, warts and all. Whilst technically superior, the new stuff is too clinical, clean and charmless. Give me the old comics any day. And they smell better too :cloud9:

As a child growing up, I used to collect Marvel Tales which reprinted the earlier Amazing Spider-Man stories.  I found it be to be a inexpensive way to enjoy the earlier stories that were too costly to pick up as an eleven year old.  Several years later when I owned both the original and the reprint, I noticed that the Marvel Tales issues had been slightly modified.  Mostly just a few panels were deleted to save room for another ad page (yuck).  Sometimes though there were slight changes to the art and even worse, sometimes the wording to the story was changed to make it more up to date (a latter reprinting of ASM Annual 1 comes to mind).  But the example below is by far is the worst I remember, as it alters the entire story.

The derelict, as many who read ASM during the Andru era may recall, is Doctor Octopus.  He's down on his luck because the ghost of Hammerhead is after him.  He trips his unwitting victim in ASM #154 (Drawn by Sal Buscema, Ross must have needed a break) obviously using his tentacles.  But look what happens though in the Marvel Tales #131 reprint.  

Taut wire, yeah, someone got their taut wires crossed, and it wasn't Dr. Octopus.

ASM #154

image.thumb.png.2efd7063323baf6b6872817bac0f3bc0.png

Marvel Tales #131

image.thumb.png.58d326832b3bdc174fbceb22a3b53e30.png

9 hours ago, Spider-Variant said:

Taut wire, yeah, someone got their taut wires crossed, and it wasn't Dr. Octopus.

I wonder why though? Why analyse it that closely? Very odd.

5 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I wonder why though? Why analyse it that closely? Very odd.

Marwood, my understanding is that the editor (I presume, not sure who else would make the decision) of Marvel Tales didn't understand the Dr. Octopus sub-plot and that it was his tentacles that was tripping him.  So, he/she thought it needed to be further clarified to make the story make sense.  I think there was something about this in the MT's letters page, but I couldn't find it with my quick search.