• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best way to store OA?
1 1

53 posts in this topic

I was wondering how you guys store your art? Do you guys put them in mylars with backboards or just a top loading hard plastic case. I have both put no sure which would be better to use. Advice needed

6 hours ago, Yurgo said:

does the mylar or hard plastic top loader protect the art better?

Protect from creases and bumps? Perhaps. But are they acid free? Acid free wins over hard plastic any day. A common storage solution is acid-free portfolios like Itoya. If you do a search in this forum you will find that this question has been raised before with lots of input to be taken in. 

On 7/28/2018 at 11:30 AM, Caltex98 said:

I use the IKEA ALEX drawer unit on castors. Lined with acid free tissue paper.

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/images/products/alex-drawer-unit-on-castors-grey__0242205_pe381726_s4.jpg

what are the interior drawer size dimensions on this? I am looking for something that will accommodate the DPS Itoya I just picked up

Frame it with UV glass or put it in a top loader. If you have a lot of art and want to save some space, I recommend the Itoya Art Profolios. If you have bugs or silverfish problems, it would be good to add an extra layer of protection by putting the top loaders and art profolios in another bag and seal it. If you have humidity concerns throw in some silica gel packets where your art is stored. But, at a minimum, put your art in an acid free bag.

I'm curious how everyone stores their paintings.

Because i have no clue how to store these large / non-standard sized items, I've only ever purchased stuff like this that I planned on putting up on a wall of the house. 

It has made me more selective on my purchases, and maybe that's the way I should keep it =)

2 hours ago, ComicArtMall said:

Frame it with UV glass or put it in a top loader. If you have a lot of art and want to save some space, I recommend the Itoya Art Profolios. If you have bugs or silverfish problems, it would be good to add an extra layer of protection by putting the top loaders and art profolios in another bag and seal it. If you have humidity concerns throw in some silica gel packets where your art is stored. But, at a minimum, put your art in an acid free bag.

I have most of my art in an Itoya portfolio. The ones that don’t fit it are wrapped in a Mylar then inserted into a top loader. 

I store all pieces - including the Itoya -  in an artist’s portfolio bag like this one: 

3E8112C6-3255-4918-B113-53A484DA751C.jpeg

9 hours ago, JadeGiant said:

what are the interior drawer size dimensions on this? I am looking for something that will accommodate the DPS Itoya I just picked up

Inside measurements of the drawers are 598 x 420 mm.

Edited by Caltex98

20 hours ago, ComicArtMall said:

If you enclose the art e.g. with a polyethylene bag, make sure to include some microchamber paper to absorb acid that leeches out of the paper.

15 hours ago, Bill C said:

I like it.

Same here - that's why I asked for interior drawer dimensions - I need to see how the portfolios will fit and if the DPS port will squeeze in there

Edited by JadeGiant

I use the IKEA ALEX cabinet and I'd recommend it. it is a great neat way to store a stack of portfolios or even loose pieces. no, it won't fit a DPS folio but its great for up to 13"x19" folios.

11 minutes ago, MIL0S said:

I use the IKEA ALEX cabinet and I'd recommend it. it is a great neat way to store a stack of portfolios or even loose pieces. no, it won't fit a DPS folio but its great for up to 13"x19" folios.

Hmph, not what I was hoping to hear. The search continues. Thanks for the info

On 8/1/2018 at 9:12 AM, JadeGiant said:

Same here - that's why I asked for interior drawer dimensions - I need to see how the portfolios will fit and if the DPS port will squeeze in there

What is the DPS port if I may ask?