• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Howard Rogofsky, Robert Bell, and the rest of the "Old Guard"
2 2

92 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Jerkfro said:

He wasn't "run off". He got himself banned. 

I think bob was suspended for two weeks, as I recall, I think he can still post here? His comic book store wars project is very important, and he has material than cannot be replaced or duplicated in this 20+ year project, I hope that this gets published for all of fandom.

Edited by Mmehdy

We should only be so lucky to have Gary Carter pay us a visit on the boards.  Carter, with CBM, played a major role in my development as a collector. Another giant in comics for me was Jim Furfferi, owner and proprietor of Empire Comics in Rochester NY.  Once a month on Sundays in the late 70's early 80's all back issues were 1/2 price at the store.  Read this to know him better.  https://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/07/17/building-an-empire-from-flea-market-dealer-to-helping-sell-a-1-million-dollar-comic-four-decades-of-empire-comics/

Edited by ThothAmon

1 hour ago, Mmehdy said:

I think bob was suspended for two weeks, as I recall, I think he can still post here? His comic book store wars project is very important, and he has material than cannot be replaced or duplicated in this 20+ year project, I hope that this gets published for all of fandom.

On June 29, Katy Beerbohm-Young. Bob's daughter, informed her friends, " My dad had a stroke this morning, and is in the hospital in Omaha."

On 8/1/2018 at 2:07 PM, James J Johnson said:

Well, the undisputed first comic dealer started dealing comic books and other used publications way back in '39. Pop Hollinger's variety store business started about 13 years before Bob Beerbohm was born. Pop was already in his 50s!

Never heard of Hollinger before. Thanks for taking the time in posting and bringing him up. Learn something new every 3rd or 4th week around here. 

3 minutes ago, NoMan said:

Never heard of Hollinger before. Thanks for taking the time in posting and bringing him up. Learn something new every 3rd or 4th week around here. 

There is a good write up about him in one of the early Price Guides. Cant remember which issue

26 minutes ago, Tony D said:

On June 29, Katy Beerbohm-Young. Bob's daughter, informed her friends, " My dad had a stroke this morning, and is in the hospital in Omaha."

Man, that sucks. No matter how you might feel about him, He has been a part of this hobby pretty much since the beginning. Best wishes for a speedy recovery Bob.

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

Man, that sucks. No matter how you might feel about him, He has been a part of this hobby pretty much since the beginning. Best wishes for a speedy recovery Bob.

I believe that Bob was medically forced to retire from the comic business on doctors order...which might be the reason for the sudden shutdown in july>>>i am hoping bob is still reading on the boards and can give us a update as to his heath and his book that he is working on>

12 hours ago, Mmehdy said:
14 hours ago, Jerkfro said:

He wasn't "run off". He got himself banned. 

Banned 

11 hours ago, Robot Man said:
11 hours ago, Tony D said:

You guys can contact him on Facebook.  He's very active and just posted about 4 hours ago.

https://www.facebook.com/robert.beerbohm

Here's an update on his condition.  Regardless of what happened in the past, I'm sure all here wish him well.

Robert Beerbohm

July 24 at 10:37 PM ·

TODAY I DO INDEED GIVE THANKS
- ONCE AGAIN TO EVERY ONE
June 29 I entered hospital with paralyzed right hand arm up to the elbow which Katy began documenting on FB here that day. A bit of shock had also set in within me with the doctors first convinced I was having a major stroke and treating me thusly.

A few days later diagnosis this time said after a 2 hour MRI of just my neck Spinal Stenosis in 4 places in neck vertebrae in dire need of surgery. Any sort of pressure am told can trigger a new part of my body might get paralyzed. I kinda thought, "What the..."

Have had a few small strokes in the recent past few years landing me in hospital previously. This recent debacle is a new wrinkle.

Yet another obstacle to traverse in the path of life. One I plan on conquering as we all fight to cling to life. At least a quality of life.

Have entered in to scenario as of today saving house, property tax is paid, I am divesting inventory, still more to go, concentrate on healing as well as finishing and seeing my long over due comics business history projects published.

Am still typing with a couple fingers left hand (and hit spell checker a lot to fix things). Am steadily improving speed.

Thank you I say to all well wishers who have helped me see light at end of the tunnel. New chapter begins unfolding as I begin next phase putting my history project together long over due.

Cong Bob on getting to the editing stage of your lifelong project, as I recall a few years ago you had told me at SDCC that you had some tapes on old retailers and comic book company owners etc, can you give us a tease as to what those might be in the upcoming book...thanks and glad you are alive and well and please more pic's if possible.

Edited by Mmehdy

On 8/3/2018 at 9:58 AM, Mmehdy said:

Cong Bob on getting to the editing stage of your lifelong project, as I recall a few years ago you had told me at SDCC that you had some tapes on old retailers and comic book company owners etc, can you give us a tease as to what those might be in the upcoming book...thanks and glad you are alive and well and please more pic's if possible.

not sure if you read it but the guy is not on these boards. Someone gave a link to his facebook account if you want to talk to them but i don't think they can post here anymore.

On 8/2/2018 at 9:11 PM, batman_fan said:

There is a good write up about him in one of the early Price Guides. Cant remember which issue

A board member did a great piece on him.. @Mac Man if I remember right?

Edit-Mac Man,if you see this,I found a link to your write up,but it's broken.Shame,as I really ennoyed it,how I learned what I know about Pop.

On comiccollecting.org I think?

Edited by porcupine48

On 8/6/2018 at 8:14 PM, porcupine48 said:

A board member did a great piece on him.. @Mac Man if I remember right?

Edit-Mac Man,if you see this,I found a link to your write up,but it's broken.Shame,as I really ennoyed it,how I learned what I know about Pop.

On comiccollecting.org I think?

I do remember pursuing and learning about Pop Hollinger - @skypinkblu hooked me up with my very first copy! But I'm drawing a blank at the moment as to whether or not I wrote something up on him. Most of my publications have come through Newsarama and Marvel. Mind shooting me the link?

On 8/3/2018 at 8:30 AM, Ditch Fahrenheit said:

You guys can contact him on Facebook.  He's very active and just posted about 4 hours ago.

https://www.facebook.com/robert.beerbohm

Here's an update on his condition.  Regardless of what happened in the past, I'm sure all here wish him well.

Anyone who hasn't SHOULD check out his FB page - fascinating reading.  Can't wait for the book!

On 8/1/2018 at 12:59 AM, lou_fine said:

+1

An absolutely wonderful magazine when Gary was running it. and especially the early issues when it was just his wife and him and they had full control of the magazine.  I just learned so much from those early issues of the CBM.  :cloud9:

I assume that Gary is still alive and well back home in beautiful always sunny Coronado wince he still shows up as an Overstreet advisor. (thumbsu

Gary has or had his Coronado home on the market for several years now...we looked at it 2 years ago but too rich for my blood 

Edited by G.A.tor

7 hours ago, G.A.tor said:
On 7/31/2018 at 10:59 PM, lou_fine said:

+1

An absolutely wonderful magazine when Gary was running it. and especially the early issues when it was just his wife and him and they had full control of the magazine.  I just learned so much from those early issues of the CBM.  :cloud9:

I assume that Gary is still alive and well back home in beautiful always sunny Coronado wince he still shows up as an Overstreet advisor. (thumbsu

Gary has or had his Coronado home on the market for several years now...we looked at it 2 years ago but too rich for my blood 

Sounds as though he probably priced his home similar to how he priced his Mile High DC's back in the day..............always way ahead of the market and refusing to back down on the prices as the majority of them would sit for quite a few years.  xD