• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have You Ever Bought Anything From A Comic Book Ad?
6 6

141 posts in this topic

On 8/4/2018 at 11:44 AM, batman_fan said:

My brother bought the air car.  It actually worked!  It had a controller which was basically on/off and a wire that ran to the hover craft.  It was made from real light weight material with a small electric motor with a prop.  It looked exactly like the picture.  Batteries didn't last very long.

I should have ordered the Playboy Decals and placed them on my Ross 5 speed bicycle. However, my parents would have been "less than pleased."

On 8/4/2018 at 5:11 PM, tv horror said:

Yes it was bought by this guy he claimed it was love at first fright.:bigsmile:

10760-royalty-free-rf-clipart-illustration-black-and-white-balloon-cartoon-mascot-character-vector-illustration-isolated-on-white-background-.jpg

Wait until I tell my cousin.

On 8/5/2018 at 4:05 AM, 1950's war comics said:

i heard there is only one original sub left in existance...

yep owned by eddie guevara.  He wanted them to use the pic in mail order mysteries-they used several of his items- but people in charge of stuff rarely do anything cool when it is presented to them.  Instead they used the same pic that has been floating around the internet forever.  Kudos.

4 hours ago, icp004 said:

Can’t remember the exact year but sometime in the early 70’s I sold these social security plates to all my family members. I still have mine!

E3B83DA1-C9C8-42B3-AF7A-66651FFD7C8F.jpeg

I still have one like this though it is not accepted by government places like the MVD (or DMV depending on where you live)-- had to show them original one with my 12 year old signature on it. My metal soc sec card is in almost new like condition as it has rarely ventured outside of my secondary wallet.

On 8/4/2018 at 11:40 AM, telerites said:

$6.98 was a load of money - I lived in a small town and would go down Main Street looking in trash cans for pop bottles.  I didn't get an allowance as a kid but I I would cash them in at the corner 5 and Dime but I would end buying candy or some junky nickel toy.  Heck, $6.98 still seems like a ton :cry:

Back in the mid 60's I got .25 cents allowance per week which was used for comic books, baseball cars and slurpees.

Needless to say I was always asking for additional chores or an advance.

On 8/3/2018 at 1:52 PM, Ditch Fahrenheit said:

I also bought the Revolutionary War Soldiers (see below).  I liked them so much I bought an additional set.  The worst part was waiting.  As I remember it took 3 months to get them in the mail.  :sumo:  That was a long time for a kid to wait. :)

qkMXdGS.jpg

Yea, they had "third class mail" back then.

I lived in South Jersey and in the early 80's I ordered some comics books mail order from a place in Red Bank N.J., a one hour drive from where I lived, it took almost 5 weeks for them to arrive.

On 8/3/2018 at 5:09 PM, Mercury Man said:
On 8/3/2018 at 9:02 AM, Jerkfro said:

On the other hand, I did have the Marx Navarone Giant Playset so i was a pretty happy kid. That set is long gone but oddly enough, I still have the two yellow cannons. 

Oh man!  Every Saturday morning from the ages of 5-8 was spent with me dragging my Guns Of Navarone playset down the stairs, setting it up, watching Bugs Bunny, eating breakfast, then going to battle.   About 7 years ago, I saw on ebay, a basically unplayed with set, the soldiers and equipment were still in bags.  I got outbid after it went to about $600.  Remember the little comic that came with it?

Not at all. 

I bought those Carmine Infantino prints/pictures of Batman & Robin and all of the villains back in the mid 60's.

There also was a pack of movie stills around that time that I also bought. I remember Lugosi as Dracula, hovering over Mina or Lucy, Karloff as Frankenstein striding out of a doorway and Lon Chaney in a publicity shot as the Wolf Man.

On 8/4/2018 at 3:17 AM, 01TheDude said:

I recall ordering several things from comics. I bought several Marvel treasuries- the first being the 1975 Holiday Grab Bag book (still have them all).

I did covet the sea monkeys but never pulled the trigger. I was sort of into stamp collecting and bought several sets of foreign stamps. I did receive a joy buzzer but that was a disappointment and I think a teacher took it from me the first day I brought it to school, never to be seen again.

The one purchase I attempted to make but never got was the fishing equipment set with like 129 items including three fishing poles for 12 something dollars. It had the option to send it COD but it never came and they sent me a letter IIRC stating that the item was no longer available. The ad kept running and I was confused by that. Probably a good thing I didn't get it as it was most likely a ripoff.

I did buy my first set of comic book bags from Robert Bell from his ads in the comics. Possibly the best thing I ever bought for my collection. The bags I bought were very cheap but way better than nothing. I might have bought one comic from him too but can't recall for sure but I must have since I did have one bag with the heavier plastic and his address info on the flap (long gone). I remember getting his catalog for a couple of times-- still have that, the bags are in some landfill.

WLoSiQBl.jpg

might have been a later ad as I can't recall there being 411 items included but it was basically this one... Did anyone ever order and receive this?

2 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

I wonder what the secret is?

Oh I read it and I know the secret-its actually legit.

33 minutes ago, kav said:

Oh I read it and I know the secret-its actually legit.

I’m not paying you for the answer. :baiting:

1 minute ago, Ken Aldred said:

I’m not paying you for the answer. :baiting:

There is no way I would post an answer I would be called a liar etc-