• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Guess the value of the 80’s AH Ha video original art.

63 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, Stat Monsters said:

although most fans of the 80's are now in their 50's or 60's getting near retirement

Your math skill need some work. 

It could be argued that all comic art also falls into the category of memorabilia/nostalgia, just sayin'.

26 minutes ago, Stat Monsters said:

Personally, I'd speculate it would go on the higher side of $150,000 potentially.  It depends if it's the entire storyboards to the whole music video as shown and how many pieces that is.    

you know, I just watched the video and there's a lot more artwork as part of the video than I recall.   Still a great video actually.    

I have to take back my previous comments because you're right that there's likely a lot of pieces here.   How many, I wonder?

1 minute ago, Bronty said:

you know, I just watched the video and there's a lot more artwork as part of the video than I recall.   Still a great video actually.    

I have to take back my previous comments because you're right that there's likely a lot of pieces here.   How many, I wonder?

I thought I read in one of the links provide by one of the board detectives (great research work BTW !!!) there were over 3,000 individual pieces in total

Just now, Stat Monsters said:

I thought I read in one of the links provide by one of the board detectives (great research work BTW !!!) there were over 3,000 individual pieces in total

3000~!   Wow.   

15 minutes ago, Stat Monsters said:

Did the piece that got out even make it into the video?  "Used in the making of the video" doesn't necessarily mean it saw screen time...I just watched the video and tried to find that image (I think it's of the keyboardist) and don't think it's there. 

Anyway, even if it's somehow in one frame, it still wouldn't be one of the memorable images in the video...pass at $5K, pass at $500.  Even if it was a memorable image I wouldn't pony up $5K for it despite loving the song and video and being one of the biggest '80s pop culture fans around. I just don't think it should/would be worth that much...it's an interesting curiosity, but, not something I would have ever thought still existed or coveted.  And it certainly doesn't qualify as anything more than functional production art. 2c 

6 hours ago, delekkerste said:

Did the piece that got out even make it into the video?  "Used in the making of the video" doesn't necessarily mean it saw screen time...I just watched the video and tried to find that image (I think it's of the keyboardist) and don't think it's there. 

Anyway, even if it's somehow in one frame, it still wouldn't be one of the memorable images in the video...pass at $5K, pass at $500.  Even if it was a memorable image I wouldn't pony up $5K for it despite loving the song and video and being one of the biggest '80s pop culture fans around. I just don't think it should/would be worth that much...it's an interesting curiosity, but, not something I would have ever thought still existed or coveted.  And it certainly doesn't qualify as anything more than functional production art. 2c 

Sure and honestly I’d be the same, but that doesn’t mean everyone would be.   There’d be a market for this stuff IMo.   Now 3,000 pieces is both a blessing and a curse and that would a lot of time to sell through (years and years, probably) but at some rate of speed,  it would sell

Edited by Bronty

10 hours ago, delekkerste said:

There were actual comic book-esque pages that were created for the video - she’s reading the comic in the diner when the animated arm comes out of it.  I think that would command a higher price. But, yeah, it’s an interesting curiosity for sure. 

Edited by PhilipB2k17

Look, as a comparable, there’s a cheesy 1983(?) video game called dragons lair.   It used cels to tell a story kinda like a movie.   Heritage sold some of the cels and they went between 2.5 and 5k each.   I’m into game art and I wouldn’t pay 200 bucks for them.   

There would be market for the ah ha stuff if done right.   Too many people remember that video. 

Edited by Bronty

10 hours ago, cstojano said:

Speaking of cardigan 350k for Cobain's Unplugged cardigan in a recent auction. 

Proving there's a collector for everything.

The only Kurt Cobain I'd pay up for would be something blood-stained.

Because in 50 years that's all anybody will remember (and really, we're already there for anybody that wasn't a teen or older in the early nineties, aren't we?)

2 hours ago, Bronty said:

Now 3,000 pieces is both a blessing and a curse and that would a lot of time to sell through (years and years, probably) but at some rate of speed,  it would sell3,

3,000 is a challenge to work off. We don't know what the lot sold for, right? But let's assume $100/per is handily profitable...I think you could turn two of those out a month BIN on eBay (and holding the very best 50 images back for better venues than eBay or just as keepers). Still...that's going to be a 122 year slog to pull your $300k out...sheesh. Even I don't have the wherewithal lol

On 8/3/2018 at 6:53 PM, The Voord said:

Ah Ha, are they still going?

They are...this performance was in 2017, and it's way better than I thought it would be. 

2 hours ago, Bronty said:

Look, as a comparable, there’s a cheesy 1983(?) video game called dragons lair.   It used cels to tell a story kinda like a movie.   Heritage sold some of the cels and they went between 2.5 and 5k each.   I’m into game art and I wouldn’t pay 200 bucks for them.   

There would be market for the ah ha stuff if done right.   Too many people remember that video. 

There are animation cel collectors, game art collectors...don't know any music video art collectors.  Sure, there'd be a market for these, but, nowhere near where those Dragons Lair cels sold for IMO. 2c 

1 minute ago, delekkerste said:

There are animation cel collectors, game art collectors...don't know any music video art collectors.  Sure, there'd be a market for these, but, nowhere near where those Dragons Lair cels sold for IMO. 2c 

So you don't know any music memorabilia collectors?   Its not just any music video, its a memorable early one.   I'm sure if you had the storyboards for the MJ Thriller video those would have some value despite being between markets.

What you point out is an issue but its also far from insurmountable.     

10 minutes ago, Bronty said:

So you don't know any music memorabilia collectors?   Its not just any music video, its a memorable early one.   I'm sure if you had the storyboards for the MJ Thriller video those would have some value despite being between markets.

What you point out is an issue but its also far from insurmountable.     

"Wow, I really wish I had those drawings used for the a-ha Take On Me video." - said no music memorabilia collector, ever. 

Like I said, there's a market for them.  I think the Dragon's Lair cels are a bad comp, though.  Most music memorabilia collectors collect posters, instruments, albums, autographs, stage-worn clothing, hand-written lyrics, etc.  Sure, any music memorabilia auction is going to have some oddball items too, but, it's not like most of such things sell for bank.  Heck, aside from things like the Pink Floyd The Wall art, David Gilmour's primary guitar, Michael Jackson paraphernalia and Kurt Cobain's sweater, it's not like most music memorabilia sells for a ton of money, period - there's plenty of cool stuff you can buy in that hobby for less than the price of a throwaway Bronze Age panel page in our hobby.  

I don't think anybody is going to plonk down $2.5K or $5K or anywhere near that for a single a-ha Take On Me drawing.  It's not like this example being offered at $625 is flying off the shelf, and that's basically pocket change these days. 

Edited by delekkerste

1 minute ago, vodou said:

Do you see better math than I provided above though? I don't.

I don't know what they sold for so I have no comment on whether its a good flip or time involved or whatever.

But in terms of the value being 150k or not, it has to be.   I mean, jeez, burn the 2500 worst ones and sell the best 500 thru auction houses at  50 pieces a quarter for 300 bucks a pop and you've got your 150k.

Or just sell the ten best for 5k each (and I do think you could get that for the full page pieces)  and then go down the line.   

There are so many pieces that I think I would go best first instead of 'worst first' in terms of offering them to market.

If you start with the worst by the time you get to the best, no one will care anymore.