• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect/Metropolis? Make Offer & Buy It Now listings
1 1

12 posts in this topic

So, I saw some of these in people's SDCC pics that they posted. They had the Buy It Now prices on stickers.

Are these just pages that Metropolis owns? They seem like they could sit there forever...Just curious what people's experience with these has been?

I get the feeling if the BIN price was $3500 and someone offered $3250 the offer wouldn't be taken :)

For instance, this Kirby/Sinnott Tales of Suspense #94 page - it sold at HA in 11/2015 for $11,950.

The highest offer so far is $11,500. It had a $13,750 BIN price. Now the BIN is $18,000.

https://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=656133

tal4.5816a.jpg

My feeling - and I have no proof or inside knowledge to back this up - is that CC is 99% inventory, 1% real consignors; whereas ComicLink is 99% real consignors and 1% "house" inventory if even that.

CC are obviously going for the ComicLink model and some people may very well list with them.  Once CC told me a comic was on consignment and they couldn't budge on price.  I asked if the "consignor" was Stephen Fishler and was met with a pretty surprised blank stare.

Oh wait this is the OA forum... my comment here is as regards comics.

Edited by Heronext

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 10:31 PM, Twanj said:

So, I saw some of these in people's SDCC pics that they posted. They had the Buy It Now prices on stickers.

Are these just pages that Metropolis owns? They seem like they could sit there forever...Just curious what people's experience with these has been?

I get the feeling if the BIN price was $3500 and someone offered $3250 the offer wouldn't be taken :)

For instance, this Kirby/Sinnott Tales of Suspense #94 page - it sold at HA in 11/2015 for $11,950.

The highest offer so far is $11,500. It had a $13,750 BIN price. Now the BIN is $18,000.

https://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=656133

tal4.5816a.jpg

That's a terrific page, and I think it will be over $20,000 in 3-4 years. Easily.

18 hours ago, Ironmandrd said:

You didn't mention to them that it was listed on their site for less?  I once had a similar issue come up for a low 5 figure 60s page (with a different dealer) and so I went on the website and "bought" the page for the smaller amount and then paid cash at the show.  When I gave the dealer the money after telling him I bought it through the site, he looked perplexed because the money was clearly several thousand short of the price sticker.   I told him that was the price on the site and to his credit he didn't gripe and gave me the page. 

I feel that such actions are dishonest. I am sure I will continue to take part in their auctions but I doubt that I will ever purchase anything from their inventory.

On 8/7/2018 at 7:30 PM, Heronext said:

My feeling - and I have no proof or inside knowledge to back this up - is that CC is 99% inventory, 1% real consignors; whereas ComicLink is 99% real consignors and 1% "house" inventory if even that.

CC are obviously going for the ComicLink model and some people may very well list with them.  Once CC told me a comic was on consignment and they couldn't budge on price.  I asked if the "consignor" was Stephen Fishler and was met with a pretty surprised blank stare.

Oh wait this is the OA forum... my comment here is as regards comics.

Actually, ComicConnect has loads of consignors, especially with art. Keep in mind we do have a gallery, https://www.facebook.com/metropolisgallerynyc/  
In fact, a large part of my day is communicating back and forth on their behalf, lots of them love to raise, decrease, and pull pieces all the time. We pretty much do what we can to accommodate our clients. 

Always feel free to call us with questions about items for sale, I may not be able to tell you who the consignor is, but can always throw them an offer. Rob (ComicConnect consignment director), Frank (Metro Head of sales), or myself can usually go through purchases of comic books and/or art. 1.888.779.7377; office hours are Monday through Friday, 10am to 6pm EDT. I'm ext. 124, leave me a message if I'm away from my desk. 

By the by all, we've got loads of art in this ComicConnect auction, https://www.comicconnect.com/load_page.php?page=2018EAXXXVI_ArtS1 

Also, Metropolis we'll be at http://newyork.carpediem.cd/events/7573575-comic-art-con-nyc-edition-at-/ with Buy It Now pieces of art only.  
--
BP