Hone Your Skills Grading My Amazing Spider-Man #129
1 1

27 posts in this topic

95 posts

I plan on getting it cleaned and pressed to fix the slight ding on the back upper right corner.  It has three small tics on the spine, otherwise it is beautiful.  Any thoughts on pre and post pressing/cleaning grades?

asm1.png

asm2.jpg

asm3.jpg

Edited by Serpentor

676 posts

8.0-8.5 White pages IMO. Doesn't look like it needs to be cleaned. A press may help but I can't tell by the pictures.

95 posts
39 minutes ago, WoWitHurts said:

8.0-8.5 White pages IMO. Doesn't look like it needs to be cleaned. A press may help but I can't tell by the pictures.

The only area needing the press is the upper right back corner.  The ding doesn't break the sheen of the cover, so it should press out.  With that fixed, it's only defects will be three tiny spine tics and ever so slightly fuzzy spine corners.  I've seen 9.4's with similar defects and am really hoping it might squeeze out that grade after the pressing.

95 posts
2 minutes ago, WoWitHurts said:

I hope you get the 9.4. That would be killer. Let us know what it gets.

I will definitely come back later to share the grade :)  I just got my ASM #194 back today.  It looked like a 9.4 before being pressed and got a 9.8 afterward!  I'm very happy to have a 9.8 among my ASM keys.  I'll never be able to afford a 9.8 #129 though.

1,427 posts

Beautiful book!!! I love the Evil Knievle add! That was THE toy to get when I was a kid?. 9/9.2 IMO.

834 posts

Very nice book to have.  i have a similar raw one too.   I looks like as is around 9.0.  with a press could get up there.  Agree with the above statement it doesnt look like it needs to be cleaned

95 posts
9 hours ago, flashlites said:

Beautiful book!!! I love the Evil Knievle add! That was THE toy to get when I was a kid?. 9/9.2 IMO.

My brother had that toy back in the early 80's.  I think he got it when we went to a Salvation Army store in Clarksville, TN.  Memories :)

6 hours ago, cookie1963 said:

Very nice book to have.  i have a similar raw one too.   I looks like as is around 9.0.  with a press could get up there.  Agree with the above statement it doesnt look like it needs to be cleaned

Raw copies in high grade are tough to find these days.  Everyone is getting them slabbed.  If you send yours in, best wishes on the grade!

1,095 posts

I think you'll either get an 8.5 or a 9.2.  It will depend on how they treat the spine ticks.  If they agonize over them, it'll hurt you.  But sometimes they don't and those are small ticks.

1,220 posts

Looks like color rub on the top left above the price. I'll go 8.5. Hope it's higher. Grats on the #194!

Edited by Not A Clone

988 posts

9.0 as is due to: upper spine corner bump on back, tiny area of color rub on front cover upper spine corner, few spine ticks, slightly fuzzy upper spine corner.

9.2 - 9.4 with a press, which should eliminate the corner bump.  I think the color rub will be the major defect limiting the grade.

11,827 posts

DO I see some rust spots on the bottom staple ?

95 posts
7 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

DO I see some rust spots on the bottom staple ?

It must be an effect of the lighting.  There is no rust.

95 posts

Update: The book is scheduled for delivery today to my favorite professionally trained paper conservator.  I hope to have it back in a week or so, then it will be hitting the road to CGC.

1,220 posts
On 8/16/2018 at 6:01 PM, Serpentor said:

Pressing complete :)  This thing looks nice.

IMG_9779.jpg

IMG_9780.jpg

Beautiful! 9.4 would be my expectation.

1,462 posts

9.2 - great looking book - just sent off 2 copies myself, neither of which were this nice - the wrap is perfect on your copy