Amazing Spider Man 301
0

43 posts in this topic

4,714 posts

If anyone checks out the WTB threads, you probably know I've been hunting this book in a 9.8 for awhile now. It's the last one I need to complete my McFarlane run.

 Since October 2017 until May 2018, it's been a $800-900 book. Now it's up to $1400-$1900.

There aren't a lot graded in 9.8 or 9.6, relative to the previous 3 high profile books. I think my best case now is to hope the price influx gets more subs in and the market gets flooded 6 months from now.

My question though, besides the Venom movie buzz(which isn't very relevant to this issue), what else would be spiking the current price?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
707 posts
56 minutes ago, I like pie said:

If anyone checks out the WTB threads, you probably know I've been hunting this book in a 9.8 for awhile now. It's the last one I need to complete my McFarlane run.

 Since October 2017 until May 2018, it's been a $800-900 book. Now it's up to $1400-$1900.

There aren't a lot graded in 9.8 or 9.6, relative to the previous 3 high profile books. I think my best case now is to hope the price influx gets more subs in and the market gets flooded 6 months from now.

My question though, besides the Venom movie buzz(which isn't very relevant to this issue), what else would be spiking the current price?

Honestly, I think it's just because it has been hard to get a 9.8 on this book with the white cover. I had my LCS looking for one back when it was just a few hundred. Easy to find a 9.6 raw, but there is always something keeping it from 9.8. Hope you find it! :wishluck:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26,787 posts
2 hours ago, I like pie said:

If anyone checks out the WTB threads, you probably know I've been hunting this book in a 9.8 for awhile now. It's the last one I need to complete my McFarlane run.

 Since October 2017 until May 2018, it's been a $800-900 book. Now it's up to $1400-$1900.

There aren't a lot graded in 9.8 or 9.6, relative to the previous 3 high profile books. I think my best case now is to hope the price influx gets more subs in and the market gets flooded 6 months from now.

My question though, besides the Venom movie buzz(which isn't very relevant to this issue), what else would be spiking the current price?

the book fluctuates. if you are patient I'd wait it out. however if I find one and it hits 9.8 I'll be happy to take as much as you are willing to give me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,714 posts
32 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

the book fluctuates. if you are patient I'd wait it out. however if I find one and it hits 9.8 I'll be happy to take as much as you are willing to give me

I would for sure be interested. The biggest reason I haven't found one yet is finding a nice wrap. All my other books in the run are centered perfectly, so that has slowed me down.

As far as the fluctuation, I've seen it go a couple hundred +/- but nothing like the past few months. It's almost doubled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
136 posts
56 minutes ago, I like pie said:

I would for sure be interested. The biggest reason I haven't found one yet is finding a nice wrap. All my other books in the run are centered perfectly, so that has slowed me down.

As far as the fluctuation, I've seen it go a couple hundred +/- but nothing like the past few months. It's almost doubled.

On a lot of the ones I've seen, the front half of the book and the back half of the book don't align right when folded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 posts

Not sure why the value has increased currently but I would think it is a cheaper alternative in grade to 300 with a similar less busy cover. Personally I like the cover to 301 more than 300. This is a hoarder book for me but I don't have a 9.8 copy for you or myself currently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,466 posts

It's doubled in price in 9.8 just this year.

Crazy what the market is doing now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,983 posts
3 hours ago, ygogolak said:

It's doubled in price in 9.8 just this year.

Crazy what the market is doing now.

True, but we're also seeing these market increases for books that are now 30+ years old.  I think this is very different than when 5 year old books suddenly spike, or when current books that are still basically wet ink are supposedly "crazy hot".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,418 posts

I still feel if the sub numbers increase to the same as 298, 299 and 300 we would find plenty of 9.8's to go around.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,719 posts
On 8/9/2018 at 4:10 PM, I like pie said:

If anyone checks out the WTB threads, you probably know I've been hunting this book in a 9.8 for awhile now. It's the last one I need to complete my McFarlane run.

 Since October 2017 until May 2018, it's been a $800-900 book. Now it's up to $1400-$1900.

There aren't a lot graded in 9.8 or 9.6, relative to the previous 3 high profile books. I think my best case now is to hope the price influx gets more subs in and the market gets flooded 6 months from now.

My question though, besides the Venom movie buzz(which isn't very relevant to this issue), what else would be spiking the current price?

Interesting observation of a timeline of events here:

May 3-  You post your WTB request for this book offering $1000

May 4-  A copy sells for $900  ($100+ less than the high for the year of $1016 that happened on April 22.)

May 12-  Another copy sells for $896.

May 18- Book suddenly and randomly doubles in value with a sale of $1710.

hm

-J.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,714 posts
1 minute ago, Jaydogrules said:

Interesting observation of a timeline of events here:

May 3-  You post your WTB request for this book offering $1000

May 4-  A copy sells for $900  ($100+ less than the high for the year of $1016 that happened on April 22.)

May 12-  Another copy sells for $896.

May 18- Book suddenly and randomly doubles in value with a sale of $1710.

hm

-J.

Not sure what you're implying but one sold a day ago for $1890 as well.

I started offering more than current sales because I needed a well centered one, so was willing to pay a premium. The price went up so quickly though, I couldn't keep up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,719 posts
Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Broke as a Joke said:

I still feel if the sub numbers increase to the same as 298, 299 and 300 we would find plenty of 9.8's to go around.  

Your feeling is likely correct.  

Of the ~16,800 copies of 300 submitted, 6.2% have come back 9.8.

Of the ~1780 copies of 301 submitted, 7.0% have come back 9.8.

@I like pie  Not really implying anything just observing. ;)

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,403 posts
33 minutes ago, Broke as a Joke said:

I still feel if the sub numbers increase to the same as 298, 299 and 300 we would find plenty of 9.8's to go around.  

Might not be the case anymore as apparently CGC has really tightened up on the grading of these more common recent books. hm

Not sure if this is true, but what used to be sure fire CGC 9.8's, are now mostly coming out as CGC 9.6's only.  (shrug)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,719 posts
23 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Might not be the case anymore as apparently CGC has really tightened up on the grading of these more common recent books. hm

Not sure if this is true, but what used to be sure fire CGC 9.8's, are now mostly coming out as CGC 9.6's only.  (shrug)

Nearly 20 years of slab submissions (7.0% 9.8 for 301 and 6.2% for 300) easily overwhelms whatever seasonal and anecdotal reports you might get one way or another and/or historical fluctuations in CGC grading tendencies at those top, top grading levels. 

-J.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
707 posts

Well if I can find a 9.8 that looks centered I'll certainly work something out with you so you can finish off your McSpidey run. Anyone know the reported sales of this book vs #300?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,714 posts
1 minute ago, Not A Clone said:

Well if I can find a 9.8 that looks centered I'll certainly work something out with you so you can finish off your McSpidey run. Anyone know the reported sales of this book vs #300?

Print run?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
707 posts
Just now, I like pie said:

Print run?

Yeah that would work. I remember when they would randomly print the print run and sales figures in fine print in some issues of recent back issues. What was the print run?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,714 posts
19 minutes ago, Not A Clone said:

Yeah that would work. I remember when they would randomly print the print run and sales figures in fine print in some issues of recent back issues. What was the print run?

Not sure on either :p Difficult to locate any solid stats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
707 posts
5 minutes ago, I like pie said:

Not sure on either :p Difficult to locate any solid stats.

Well I found this on MCS just now. I imagine the nmbers may be a little higher once McFarland took over because I think these numbers may have been 6 months old when they published them? I'll have to dig one out that has that info to try to verify.

The letters page contains a statement of ownership: average print run 469,913; average paid circulation 284,692.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
707 posts
Posted (edited)

from "another" website...

"ASM #300 wasn't recognized as anything particularly noteworthy for a while after it was released. The first reason it became popular was for the McFarlane art. ASM #300 came out in Feb of 1988, and at the time, the only book that featured McFarlane art that was recognizable as "OMGWTFBBQ!!" McFarlane art would have been Hulk #340-343. ASM #298 and #299's pencils were buried under McLeod inks, and look completely pedestrian. 

However, round about issue #305-307, the market started noticing the hot new Spiderman artist, and the books began their inexorable climb up the charts, peaking two years later with the publication of Spiderman #1. During that time, #298 was the more sought after book, being the "first McFarlane art", and #300 lagged a bit behind. They evened out with the publication of the OPG Update #12 in June of 1990.

Then, when Carnage came about, Venom became popular as a character, and with the publication of ASM #361-363, then #374-375, and finally Lethal Protector #1, ASM #300 left #298 in the dust, where it's been ever since.

ASM #300 wasn't an exceptionally high printed, or high sold, issue, which is why it's held its value over the years."

So I'm guessing somewhere between 270-280k "sold".

fafd69f33afc9b88508ba915479a605e.jpg

Edited by Not A Clone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
0