• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Childhood Memories: The Toys of the Silver and Bronze Age
4 4

358 posts in this topic

What a great thread! I may have to dig out my box of mego goodies and post some pics. Lots of micronauts, world's greatest super-heroes and star trek figures. Those seriously were the good old days 

Anyone remembered the Meccano Kits? I had my first set, the number 5 box in 1973 for Christmas. I had fun building a tractor, a crane or an airplane with pieces assembled by manual booklet showing me how to do. I was Age 5. After that, I had the viewmaster, Lego, Star Warsfigures, hot wheels and these kites. I think I am like many of you had these same toys. 

I still have some of my original toys and games, though I do have my plush stuffed comic characters but I think they don’t count as toys?

I still have my Simon electric game, remember the fast rapid blinking lights? 

I need to find where I stored my toys in a box to take pictures one day. 

F8C9B3BD-C6E8-45BE-92A9-3FC2055157B7.jpeg

19 minutes ago, Fan Boy said:

Anyone remembered the Meccano Kits? I had my first set, the number 5 box in 1973 for Christmas. I had fun building a tractor, a crane or an airplane with pieces assembled by manual booklet showing me how to do. I was Age 5. After that, I had the viewmaster, Lego, Star Warsfigures, hot wheels and these kites. I think I am like many of you had these same toys. 

I still have some of my original toys and games, though I do have my plush stuffed comic characters but I think they don’t count as toys?

I still have my Simon electric game, remember the fast rapid blinking lights? 

I need to find where I stored my toys in a box to take pictures one day. 

F8C9B3BD-C6E8-45BE-92A9-3FC2055157B7.jpeg

In the US at the time it was Erector sets. The 2 companies didn’t merge until around 2000.

34F66C10-8C32-4F99-BE45-1D9C2140C4B4.jpeg.950b021d6723e4ba29c3a265320641ed.jpeg

On 8/16/2018 at 1:01 PM, 01TheDude said:

On a completely different tangent-- anyone remember playing Gnip Gnop?

I haven't thought of that game in ages.  I definitely played it, but can't be certain whether it was mine or one of my friends.

10 hours ago, BitterOldMan said:

One of my favorites... The Marx Electro Shot Shooting Gallery.  My mother tossed mine.  You can shoot semi-auto or go full auto.

.efd5edf26146c7f0f9d1dae7af0618b8.jpg.067a6924122ee91a3967dc02c1904187.jpg

Had one of those but had completely forgotten about it.

Edited by Dick Pontoon

On 8/18/2018 at 10:00 AM, TheWatcher said:

My older brother had one of these electric football games. You'd line up the figures in an offensive set/formation, turn the nob, and the board would vibrate, moving the players to execute the play...in theory. The vast majority of the time, the players would move in every direction except where you wanted them to go lol

613-4.jpg

That thing SUCKED. One of the most disappointing toys ever. It boggles my mind those things were manufactured for years instead of dying a quick death.

On 8/18/2018 at 12:44 AM, N e r V said:

A lifetime Hot Wheels collector I’m obsessed with anything with the Mongoose and Snake cars be it vintage hot wheels or model kits. Those two cars are linked to some fantastic playtime memories for me.

C6D886F2-3CDA-408C-831F-F59EB8452B08.jpeg.40db9e0e25526a35e51317037cc8d8b6.jpeg

B927E401-2DAC-4492-B37D-A04A186E66C4.jpeg.8e8f7995966b6e6e44f8c3bbca71687f.jpeg

How Wheels were a blast. I still have a good amount of mine; handed them down to my son. He's nearing tweenhood though and hasn't had any interest in them for a while/

Growing up in the late '50s and early '60s, we didn't get most of the cool robots and action figures you guys played with.  But we did get great table and board games, like this one with the battery powered red goal lights.  I spent many an hour playing my older brother, trying out strategies for getting the puck from my wingmen to my center for the quick shot.  Our version was the Canadians versus the Maple Leafs.

stanley_cup_1965_table_top_model_001.jpg

Another favorite was All Star Baseball.  Each player disc had segments denoting singles, strikeouts, homers, groundballs, etc, and their sizes roughly reflected the offensive stats for each player.  You could play with current major leaguers or the second player set with Hall of Famers.  Babe Ruth's card had the largest '1' (homerun) segment right at the 12 o'clock position in the entire game.

3599cont.jpg?w=640

Edited by namisgr

On 8/14/2018 at 9:05 PM, Park said:

I would have killed to have that set. Drifting into the copper age but I had this instead.

e190b759991a5dab30c30898b97c699c.jpg

Sweet! Never knew about that one. Kids today and their devices. They wouldn't know good toys if they saw them. 

For war games, the Avalon Hill board games were fun, and once you got past the entry level game 'Tactics' they got pretty sophisticated (Gettysburg, Stalingrad, etc).

Tactics board, the red army versus the blue army:

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by namisgr

I was big into Legos. Had this set. My older cousin built me the model in the upper left. 

912-1.jpg?200703240350

But it wasn't until I was introduced to the Space sets that I got really excited.

$_1.JPG

Edited by Jerkfro

On 8/15/2018 at 4:54 PM, TheWatcher said:

Someone mentioned the Six Million Dollar Man earlier. I vividly remember having the action figure, along with my favorite nemesis of his, Bigfoot

Xnd.lSBK5oGM5wtkB3qLUg.jpg

I can remember seeing that episode on TV. Scared the living hell out of my eight year old self lol 

7 minutes ago, Jerkfro said:

I can remember seeing that episode on TV. Scared the living hell out of my eight year old self lol 

I remember that episode, too! Scared the bejeezus out of me!

Fun fact...apparently, that was Andre the Giant...or, Andra if you prefer...

Anybody wanna peanut...?

On 8/14/2018 at 12:16 PM, aszumilo said:

One of my favorites was Gaiking Shogun Warrior (My brother got the Great Mazinga).  My brother and I also spent hours shooting our sisters with the gun (it was just a light) after we got tired of setting up the cans time and time again.

Image result for gaiking shogun warriorImage result for tin can alley

my mom wouldnt let me get any shogun warriors as a kid. too big, or maybe it was the missles. my little toy store had em all too. this was my first ebay purchase in the late 90s, gotta find some pics. got 4 or 5 complete w boxes which are awesome too.

8 hours ago, N e r V said:

In the US at the time it was Erector sets. The 2 companies didn’t merge until around 2000.

34F66C10-8C32-4F99-BE45-1D9C2140C4B4.jpeg.950b021d6723e4ba29c3a265320641ed.jpeg

My Dad used to buy me Erector Sets (pre- 1965) and I was never able to assemble/build any without help.

You could not sell this today, small screws and nuts with metal pieces that probably had a sharp edge or two, I was 6-7 when I got my first set.