• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC slabs missing inner tray?

3 posts in this topic

I'm fairly new to CGC, and had some modern books graded very recently that appear to be different than any other modern CGC slabs that I own, including two that shipped in same order. These books seem to be missing the plastic inner tray that (I imagine) is there to keep the books centered within the case. Without it, the books seem to be just floating within the slab, and tend to gravitate to the bottom corner of the case. In light of the previous CGC slab issues from a few years ago, I'm a little worried about the safety of these books within these cases. I've attached several examples that are representative of the issue. I'd appreciate any feedback regarding these slabs, and if its normal practice, or something that may be an error. 

ASM316-front.jpg

ASM-316-detail.jpg

SPAWN-front.jpg

SPAWN-detail.jpg

UA-front.jpg

CGC has a few different inner well designs, so there's nothing wrong with these per se. The one with the "tray" does keep the book centered better, but it also increases the chances of the comic being damaged within the case from poor handling (Shaken Comic Syndrome) so there is a tradeoff.