• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Too rare to rise?
2 2

94 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, path4play said:

That just blew my theory.  Perhaps I'm applying a "rationale market" approach. There could be outliers - like a super wealthy boxer or something, that are willing to pay whatever regardless of future potential.  That's why likely if this came up for sale again, many buyers would treat it as an outlier and discount this sales price (imo).

I actually think the Hammer would be high upon re-auctioning.  It is an EC and there are several EC completest out there.

12 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

I actually think the Hammer would be high upon re-auctioning.  It is an EC and there are several EC completest out there.

Perhaps I'm victim of the "Fallacy of One."  And I'm not a buyer of this book at any price.  But for me, presuming there was one auction that priced a book I like 10K over all prior sales, I'm simply not using the one sale to set the new market value.

Edited by path4play

5 hours ago, Bo_Hogg1 said:

I own some of the rarest comics in the world that you can find in ANY condition. I have been hunting the rarest examples since I was 18. I am 45 now. I like rare comics because I love owning comics that nobody else has. I don't do it for the money. I do it for the love of it because I if I was doing it for the money, I would have collected only Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Sandman and all the first Marvel books like FF, Spidey, Hulk, X-Men (I do have an X-men # 1 so I cheated!) But I don't like these books because EVERYBODY has them. I love the reaction I get when I show someone a book they never knew existed and I love the fact that I am the only one that I know that has this book. Having what everyone else has is boring to me. I love what I collect and I love that if someone has to have a rare book and they can't find it, they have to come to me. I would not trade my books for mainstream books for anything.

Would love to see some of those. Make a thread!

15 hours ago, Bo_Hogg1 said:

I own some of the rarest comics in the world that you can find in ANY condition. I have been hunting the rarest examples since I was 18. I am 45 now. I like rare comics because I love owning comics that nobody else has. I don't do it for the money. I do it for the love of it because I if I was doing it for the money, I would have collected only Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Sandman and all the first Marvel books like FF, Spidey, Hulk, X-Men (I do have an X-men # 1 so I cheated!) But I don't like these books because EVERYBODY has them. I love the reaction I get when I show someone a book they never knew existed and I love the fact that I am the only one that I know that has this book. Having what everyone else has is boring to me. I love what I collect and I love that if someone has to have a rare book and they can't find it, they have to come to me. I would not trade my books for mainstream books for anything.

I wanna see em!!!

On 8/30/2018 at 1:06 PM, valiantman said:

The collective dollars is a very fun topic... but also pretty "controversial".  Let's say there is $200K spent total on AF #15 in a particular week.  If a regular comic book was released that week at $4 each, selling 60,000 copies, would we say that some recent issue of a random title has more "demand" than AF #15 because it sold $240K when AF #15 only sold $200K?  That would be weird... so I don't think that's a reflection of "demand". 

I agree on the weirdness, do you think comparing A15 sales to only back issues would make it more relevant?    If the total sold of all back issues (per week) was less than all new comics, I would think that means the demand for new is more.  Right?

whenever one copy of Action #1 sells, it's likely that the 2nd highest bidder would be happy to pay their bid to obtain a second copy but there's not one available.  So the demand in terms of dollars spent was $100K (in your example), but it was at least $195K "demand" since the 2nd highest bidder did also want to buy one.  When there are multiple copies available and multiple copies sold, it's possible that everyone who wanted a copy was able to get one

This is a great point!  Unless the under was a shill bidder heh.  To be safe I'd say $195+ 1/2 to cover all the other "interest" in the book.  So $240k in demand in my example. 

I think there is something important happening with the collective dollars, especially for the "total value of all known slabbed copies" or even some estimate using the average graded copy value multiplied by census total.  But, even that, is "controversial" since it's assuming that there's some economic principle that all the slabbed copies wherever they are somehow combine to represent a "demand" statistic that can be used to compare books of differt decades, quantities, hoards, slab-worthiness, or whatever.

This would be an interesting formula to see.  I think there's much to be learned from examining the census numbers, another thing I'd like to examine is how much closer high value books represent real world copies in existence.  

When raw book owners see high sales of key books, the incentive to slab shoots up for many reasons (insurance, investment planning, curiosity, and selling.  What patterns are there, is it correct to assume that the higher the value the more representative the census is of known copies, and at what price point does this accuracy start? 

I'd assume the accuracy starts when "entry level" copies (0.5) sell for at least 1k.

10 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:
On 8/22/2018 at 5:13 PM, valiantman said:

Too rare to rise? hm

Wonder Woman ashcan just sold for $57,668, having previously changing hands in 2003 for $17,250.    So rare can rise.

That's a 3.34 multiplier over 15 years.  All-Star #8 CGC 6.5 went from $6,600 to $92,613 (multiplier of 14) in the same time period.  If All-Star #8 CGC 6.5 was only one-third of the Wonder Woman ashcan in 2003, why is it almost double the ashcan today?

1 minute ago, valiantman said:

That's a 3.34 multiplier over 15 years.  All-Star #8 CGC 6.5 went from $6,600 to $92,613 (multiplier of 14) in the same time period.  If All-Star #8 CGC 6.5 was only one-third of the Wonder Woman ashcan in 2003, why is it almost double the ashcan today?

Ashcans generally don't get the respect of real comics because they are a production/legal document not a real comic book.  The WW ashcan does not have a first appearance or anything else to recommend it as does the AS 8.  No ashcan has topped $90K, and I don't think that's solely due to rarity.  Instead, I believe that is largely due to resistance to the whole concept of ashcans being important.  They don't draw the biggest fish.  Still, the WW ashcan increased significantly without any intervening sales.   Which is the point.  

5 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

Ashcans generally don't get the respect of real comics because they are a production/legal document not a real comic book.  The WW ashcan does not have a first appearance or anything else to recommend it as does the AS 8.  No ashcan has topped $90K, and I don't think that's solely due to rarity.  Instead, I believe that is largely due to resistance to the whole concept of ashcans being important.  They don't draw the biggest fish.  Still, the WW ashcan increased significantly without any intervening sales.   Which is the point.  

I wasn't saying that rare books can't rise.  I'm saying they don't keep pace... these books are 50+ years old, well-established... and when you pick two books that have all that history behind them, such as the WW ashcan and AS #8, or books like NYWF 1939 and Superman #6... then move the clock forward (to today)... the rarely sold books can't keep pace.  Establishing a relative value for two 50+ year old books, well beyond their youth, shouldn't see that calculation completely change by year 60.

On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 9:57 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Is MMC 9 too rare to rise? The guide value has stagnated. In 2012, a 6.0 guided for $12.5k. Today, it guides for only $15k. And this is a classic cover with the first superhero fight. There are only 5 books higher than a 6.0, so it’s not like people are waiting for a better copy.  The last reported sale for an unrestored copy was in 2012, and it went for Guide value.  No multiple.  It’s hard for me to believe that it would still go for Guide value today, but who knows . . .

12/14/2015

MARVEL MYSTERY COMICS #9, CGC 5.5 FN- $23,583                       This was a multiple of guide.
Edited by fishbone