• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Russ Heath
1 1

26 posts in this topic

That's an awesome cover!

However, for anyone who's ever been around a tank when it's firing its cannon, holding the barrel of the cannon while firing would be an extremely unpleasant experience.

On 8/25/2018 at 8:38 AM, adamstrange said:

I was very saddened to hear the news.

He was an inveterate kidder and teller of jokes and cheerful every time I had the chance to meet him.

It was a pleasure working with him when I commissioned the cover to Showcase 27.  He asked whether I wanted the color design "fixed" to be accurate as to how the sunlight rippling through the water would actually affect the scene.  He removed the text blurb in the lower right and drew the corral and fish, revealing what had been covered up for more than 45 years.  For the title he gave me the option to use Sea Devils rather than Showcase. 

Heath is well known for the care in his accurate depiction of people and scenes. I picked it the finished recreation on a lunch break and one of my co-workers, a female scuba diver, commented that females in wet suits don't have chests like that.  I think I can forgive him.

Showcase27recreation_closeup.jpg

You have to admit, that's beautiful.:golfclap:

The first recreation Heath drew was for the "Big 5 Guide to DC War Comics."  In one of my early conversations with him he asked me if I noticed how he had fixed the cover.  Since I only once before seen the original, I replied, "No. What did you do?"  He commented that he had been drawing Korean era jets in the story prior to that cover and he inadvertently swept the wings back ever so slightly on the WWII plane.

He also, his words, "reduced the pilot by 4%" because he was too big relative to the plane.  He didn't feel that mistake was his fault because at the time that he drew the original the Air Force still kept specifications secret so he didn't know exactly how big it was.

Big5Guide.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

5 hours ago, adamstrange said:

The first recreation Heath drew was for the "Big 5 Guide to DC War Comics."  In one of my early conversations with him he asked me if I noticed how he had fixed the cover.  Since I only once before seen the original, I replied, "No. What did you do?"  He commented that he had been drawing Korean era jets in the story prior to that cover and he inadvertently swept the wings back ever so slightly on the WWII plane.

He also, his words, "reduced the pilot by 4%" because he was too big relative to the plane.  He didn't feel that mistake was fault because at the time that he drew the original the Air Force still kept specifications secret so he didn't know exactly how big it was.

Big5Guide.jpg

Awesome story.

Typical of how motivated Russ was in his detail.

Hey guys,

Just saw this news, and I'm heartbroken. Russ was my favorite DC war artist, from the moment I read 'The Arena' from Our Army at War #273. I think I found that book when I was 8, back in 1977. I've since owned a bunch of copies of that issue, but I still have the coverless, tattered copy I found as a boy and it remains precious to me.

One of the great thrills of my adult life was receiving a call one night at home from Russ. I had sent him a letter while doing some research on a book about DC bronze age war comics. He was genial, sharp and very generous with his time. I met him twice in person during the Big Five dinners at the SDCC over the years, and was a total gent.

Does anyone know offhand what his final piece of published comic art might have been?

Hope all are well,

Shep

Edited by bigfiver69

9 hours ago, bigfiver69 said:

Hey guys,

Just saw this news, and I'm heartbroken. Russ was my favorite DC war artist, from the moment I read 'The Arena' from Our Army at War #273. I think I found that book when I was 8, back in 1977. I've since owned a bunch of copies of that issue, but I still have the coverless, tattered copy I found as a boy and it remains precious to me.

One of the great thrills of my adult life was receiving a call one night at home from Russ. I had sent him a letter while doing some research on a book about DC bronze age war comics. He was genial, sharp and very generous with his time. I met him twice in person during the Big Five dinners at the SDCC over the years, and was a total gent.

Does anyone know offhand what his final piece of published comic art might have been?

Hope all are well,

Shep

I don't know what his final one was for sure, but I'm going to guess that it was the cover to the "Hero's Edition" of the 2016 OPG with Sgt. Rock and Easy emerging from the forest.  Anybody know of anything more recent?