• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RIP Russ Heath

19 posts in this topic

I was very saddened to hear the news.

He was an inveterate kidder and teller of jokes and cheerful every time I had the chance to meet him.

It was a pleasure working with him when I commissioned the cover to Showcase 27.  He asked whether I wanted the color design "fixed" to be accurate as to how the sunlight rippling through the water would actually affect the scene.  He removed the text blurb in the lower right and drew the corral and fish, revealing what had been covered up for more than 45 years.  For the title he gave me the option to use Sea Devils rather than Showcase. 

Heath is well known for the care in his accurate depiction of people and scenes. I picked it the finished recreation on a lunch break and one of my co-workers, a female scuba diver, commented that females in wet suits don't have chests like that.  I think I can forgive him.

Showcase27recreation_closeup.jpg

3 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

NO ONE could draw "dinosaurs" like Russ.  Great cover - hope that it's in good hands.

Is this the only Heath SSWS dino cover known to exist?

Far as I know it's the only surviving dino cover . . . sold to a friend in Los Angeles who still has it (saw it again in person on a visit to LA earlier this year).

22 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

NO ONE could draw "dinosaurs" like Russ.  Great cover - hope that it's in good hands.

Is this the only Heath SSWS dino cover known to exist?

Personally, I love the Battle Action cover. You can really feel the gritty coldness of killing in war. No glory, just the job.

On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 3:53 AM, adamstrange said:

I was very saddened to hear the news.

He was an inveterate kidder and teller of jokes and cheerful every time I had the chance to meet him.

It was a pleasure working with him when I commissioned the cover to Showcase 27.  He asked whether I wanted the color design "fixed" to be accurate as to how the sunlight rippling through the water would actually affect the scene.  He removed the text blurb in the lower right and drew the corral and fish, revealing what had been covered up for more than 45 years.  For the title he gave me the option to use Sea Devils rather than Showcase. 

Heath is well known for the care in his accurate depiction of people and scenes. I picked it the finished recreation on a lunch break and one of my co-workers, a female scuba diver, commented that females in wet suits don't have chests like that.  I think I can forgive him.

Showcase27recreation_closeup.jpg

That's beautiful...

56 minutes ago, buttock said:

I absolutely LOVE this! 

Thanks, it has a special meaning to me. The first jet I ever flew in was a T-33, which was essentially a trainer version of the F-80 that Russ so beautifully depicted.