• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shipping OA
2 2

121 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

How NOT to mail art (inks by Victor Cifuentes, very nicely done, by the way).

Any idea how long this will take to flatten out under a reasonably heavy Banker's Box?

20200908_174223.thumb.jpg.c114a03b0ecbdd950ec232e89c6ff3ba.jpg

Sorry, I had it happen once on an ebay buy, now I try to tell the sellers to ship flat. If its comic art board, I believe the fibers are now damaged and will never be back to normal. 

36 minutes ago, Drewsky said:

Sorry, I had it happen once on an ebay buy, now I try to tell the sellers to ship flat. If its comic art board, I believe the fibers are now damaged and will never be back to normal. 

I was once able to flatten some comics which had become curved, but it took about 2 months to straighten out. 

I obviously hope you are wrong.

5 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

Any idea how long this will take to flatten out under a reasonably heavy Banker's Box?

Do you have a book to put it in? Itoya, I mean. I had a rolled up large calendar (different material than comic board, of course) that I put in my poster-sized Itoya (that yes, I actually use for posters) for a month with a heavy box on top, and it flattened. I don't know about potential ink smearing with yours, though.

5 hours ago, BuraddoRun said:

Do you have a book to put it in? Itoya, I mean. I had a rolled up large calendar (different material than comic board, of course) that I put in my poster-sized Itoya (that yes, I actually use for posters) for a month with a heavy box on top, and it flattened. I don't know about potential ink smearing with yours, though.

Right now, they are in individual top loaders and under a banker’s box. In about 2 weeks, I will check them, and probably flip them over for the same treatment. Depending on how they look after 2 more weeks, flip them again or stop, I have used a similar approach with comics. 

2 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

Right now, they are in individual top loaders and under a banker’s box. In about 2 weeks, I will check them, and probably flip them over for the same treatment. Depending on how they look after 2 more weeks, flip them again or stop, I have used a similar approach with comics. 

No doubt an artist could chip in with more refined advice, but in general, if you want to reverse "curl" on one side of a piece of paper, you can gently stroke it with a wet brush (make an 'x'?) on the other side before setting up to flatten under weight. Not such a great idea on thin paper, but heavier bristol should be okay (similar to watercolor paper), but be aware: I've never actually done this!

Tent it, pump some steam in there, and then flatten on a vacuum table. Wait... whaddaya mean you haven't made your own vacuum table? :nyah:

On 9/8/2020 at 5:53 PM, Rick2you2 said:

Sweet pages. Congrats.

Also, at first glance, I thought those were apple crullers and I got excited.

21 hours ago, vodou said:

No doubt an artist could chip in with more refined advice, but in general, if you want to reverse "curl" on one side of a piece of paper, you can gently stroke it with a wet brush (make an 'x'?) on the other side before setting up to flatten under weight. Not such a great idea on thin paper, but heavier bristol should be okay (similar to watercolor paper), but be aware: I've never actually done this!

I confess I’m a little too timid to do that. But, if what I am doing doesn’t work over the next 6 months, I may try it on the fully curled one (they came as a package deal).

6 hours ago, BCarter27 said:

Tent it, pump some steam in there, and then flatten on a vacuum table. Wait... whaddaya mean you haven't made your own vacuum table? :nyah:

Sweet pages. Congrats.

Also, at first glance, I thought those were apple crullers and I got excited.

What I would to get are the matching pencils if I can find the artist. 

One of the reasons I bought them is that they are half of the biggest art editing screw-up I can recall. That issue, WW 757 was done by a different art team than 758. The last page of 757 is the one with WW in a half splash before the Gates of Heaven. Issue 758 picks up at the identical moment, but with the aforementioned different art team. Now, look at PS’s costume in 757. It is the basic modern costume he wears. But, if you look at the next issue, the new art team is using his older costume with the medallion on it. Who the Hell proofed this stuff? Okay, sometimes artists use an older costume, or vary its design a little, but at the same moment in time in two different books? Now, I realize Kirby would leave off one of Ben’s fingers occasionally, but that’s part of the idiosyncrasies of just one artist. This is a bad hand-off someone should have caught.

Edited by Rick2you2

6 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

Who the Hell proofed this stuff? Okay, sometimes artists use an older costume, or vary its design a little, but at the same moment in time in two different books? Now, I realize Kirby would leave off one of Ben’s fingers occasionally, but that’s part of the idiosyncrasies of just one artist. This is a bad hand-off someone should have caught.

The editorial at DC has been non-existent for a good many years now.

On 9/8/2020 at 5:53 PM, Rick2you2 said:

If anyone was wondering how my flattening effort is faring since last Tuesday, the answer is way better than expected. I placed each page in a top loader, face up, and then placed them all under one banker's box full of old comics. Out of curiosity, I took them out of their top loaders this morning to see how they looked. Here is the result:

20200912_103828.thumb.jpg.aba890c9a19618b2d14f01ffae7a5169.jpg

One of the reasons this may be working so well is that the paper feels less like Bristol Board and more like oak tag (or at least a slightly thinner material than normal). Who knows?

I have now placed them back in the top loaders, and flipped them over so that the flattening process evens out. At this rate, they should be good by next weekend.

Who knew that a box of old comics had so much worth? :)

On 9/8/2020 at 2:53 PM, Rick2you2 said:

Oh no, that poster tube is pretty narrow, but at least it looks like they rolled the paper the correct way for minimal overlaps. I'm personally OK with the larger heavy duty poster tube sizes (like Mondo) if the shipper doesn't feel confident in shipping it flat. Especially if it's international. It just requires more up legwork from the shipper though, because they don't typically sell the heavy duty shipping tubes from the post office from what I've seen.

When I have to flatten, I would probably not have them in toploaders so the paper can receive more direct pressure. I'd use a larger sheet of paper as a buffer and create 4 stacks of heavy books,one for each corner. I'm glad to see they are flattening out though!

9 minutes ago, PixelPusher said:

Oh no, that poster tube is pretty narrow, but at least it looks like they rolled the paper the correct way for minimal overlaps. I'm personally OK with the larger heavy duty poster tube sizes (like Mondo) if the shipper doesn't feel confident in shipping it flat. Especially if it's international. It just requires more up legwork from the shipper though, because they don't typically sell the heavy duty shipping tubes from the post office from what I've seen.

When I have to flatten, I would probably not have them in toploaders so the paper can receive more direct pressure. I'd use a larger sheet of paper as a buffer and create 4 stacks of heavy books,one for each corner. I'm glad to see they are flattening out though!

I used the toploaders in part because I was concerned the ink may stick a bit to paper. Also, I wanted to even the pressure around to the whole of the sheet (the box does cover the whole page). Holding down the corners might result in spots that weren't quite flat. I am also flipping them upside down every once in a while, which worked some comics I have flattened. But, I could be wrong; the physics of paper bending is not one of my areas of expertise.

I’d be more concerned with ink sticking to the top loaders, but that is just me. I’d have just gone with regular old non-stick Baking sheet/roll from the grocery store. I have a large IKEA coffee table in my reading room with a smooth bottom and a heavy glass top. I like to stick the art under the glass To let it flatten. A few weeks to a few months, depending on how heavy and stubborn the paper and curl are. Most are good within a month.

But I always tilt and lift that glass top carefully. Don’t want the art to slide on the table or have any dust under the glass that slides against the art surface, risking other kinds of damage.

But yeah, flat piece of heavy glass on a clean flat surface, can work wonders. I don’t bother rotating, since the weight is pretty equally applied to both sides when the thing is flat. Often no muss, no fuss. Just put the work in, and a bit of patience. Even slight kinks and mailing bends can be minimized in this way. It’s not always perfect, but often better than one might think, going in.

I have a smaller piece of glass I keep on top of a bookshelf in the reading room closet. I can do 11”x17” stuff in there. The coffee table comfortably fits work up to 26” x 30”. It’s helpful when the furniture can do double duty. I just keep all drinks, etc away until it is empty. :)