• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Price Archaeology (Mapping "World Record" comics sales back to OSPG #1)
1 1

91 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, Crowzilla said:

I already posted the CBG that states Metro was the (re)seller on the Allentown Tec 27 (Payette was only involved in the initial sale).

Snyder has confirmed he was the seller of the Action 1 to Anderson (pretty sure I posted about this several years ago after talking/semi-interviewing him about the sale). 

:tink:

1 hour ago, sfcityduck said:

I stopped looking at OPG 17.  I've got a gap in my guides at that point.  

I realize that trade deals are a different beast than cash deals, but I'm inclined to think you ought to include them for purposes of your chart.  Because I don't think there's much doubt that these blockbuster trade deals did impact the market's perceptions and were viewed as "records" when they occurred.  

I have a full set of guides. I can look. 

16 hours ago, PopKulture said:

Forgive me is it's otherwise well known, but is the MH Marvel 1 a 9.0 as I seem to recall, and is its current owner more or less a matter of record within the hobby?  :shy:

I thought the Verzyl family's MH MC 1 was widely thought to be much better than a 9.0 (there are two of those graded already).  I'd heard it had a chance at 9.8.

5 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

I thought the Verzyl family's MH MC 1 was widely thought to be much better than a 9.0 (there are two of those graded already).  I'd heard it had a chance at 9.8.

I agree. Since asking this question in the wee hours, I've since seen a scan of what I guess is that copy and, man-oh-man, what a book!  :cloud9:

Edited by PopKulture

6 hours ago, rob_react said:

Nice! Somehow I missed this thread when it started last summer.

I think I posted about this before, but I have a recollection of G.B. Love writing an editorial in the RBCC blasting the sale of a Superman 1 for such a high price that it was going to ruin the hobby.  The price, as I recollect, was $20.  From your timeline, it looks like an Action 1 sold for $250 about that time.  Maybe the Superman 1 was a beater and that was what raised Love's ire.

6 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I think I posted about this before, but I have a recollection of G.B. Love writing an editorial in the RBCC blasting the sale of a Superman 1 for such a high price that it was going to ruin the hobby.  The price, as I recollect, was $20.  From your timeline, it looks like an Action 1 sold for $250 about that time.  Maybe the Superman 1 was a beater and that was what raised Love's ire.

I love that story.

4 hours ago, rob_react said:
4 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

I love that story.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.