• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Blue Bolt #105 Discussion deserving of it's own Thread
3 3

151 posts in this topic

Alright, I think this deserves a real discussion.  Last night many of us witnessed the highest price ever publicly paid for a L.B. Cole book.

Blue Bolt #105 (as seen below) was sold on Comic Link for $37,500.  The book was a Stunning CGC 9.8 White. Many have already stated they thought it would go higher.

Last highest paid (publicly) was the Spokane Copy of Blue Bolt #115 CGC 9.6 OW/W back in November of 2017 which went for $16,700.

Some fun questions to lead into this thread:

• Do Pedigree Copies exist of Blue Bolt #105?  I see all the other LB Cole Blue Bolts have either Crippen, Bethlehem, Northford or Spokane copies having sold.
  • Out of all the Blue Bolt's sold; #105 has had the least amount of times either Graded (recorded by GPA) or Raw (amount that come up on eBay)
    • Is it truly because everyone is hoarding them and holding so tightly? 
    • Or is there a truer scarcity to this issue?  Combination of both?
  • What are the estimated values for Blue Bolt #105 9.6 / 9.4 / 9.2 / 9.0 copies currently given the sale of a 9.8 yesterday for $37.5K and a 7.5 (last month) for 6.9K?
    • Currently Graded there is:
      • 1x 9.8.
      • 2x 9.2's (one Q)
      • 2x 8.0's
      • 3x 7.5's

RADF0375201881_113351.jpg

image.png.c2149d9a1a1d4b5a6c41dbb28c7f0261.png

Edited by bounty_coder

All i know it caught my eye many moons ago and has not left my sight but to be graded.The cover is one of his best works in my opinion and he did many great ones.The copy you picked up was a bargain and you will soon gaze upon it once in hand and be in awe :headbang:

Definitely an incredible book, though I think it is being hyped a lot by younger collectors, much in the same vein as CoC 19, Blue Bolt 115, certain Timelys like Mystics, Cap 39, etc. Interesting to see new trends emerge almost weekly while more traditional classic covers seem to be taking a backseat to these newly designated classics.

15 minutes ago, jr81784 said:

Definitely an incredible book, though I think it is being hyped a lot by younger collectors, much in the same vein as CoC 19, Blue Bolt 115, certain Timelys like Mystics, Cap 39, etc. Interesting to see new trends emerge almost weekly while more traditional classic covers seem to be taking a backseat to these newly designated classics.

Out of curiosity when you say younger collectors...what are you thinking roughly?

I wonder if it's "younger" or just collectors that are maturing and finally getting exposed to certain areas of the comic-verse that they have not travelled to yet...

As many have said...It is arguably one of LB Cole's finest works.  The composition, fine details, color balance and palette is just fantastic beyond words. It is a Comic Masterpiece.

How long before it get's the "Classic" Designation by CGC?...Who is in charge of determining that (actually?)...

Edited by bounty_coder

I used the term “younger” only because I know this comic is shared and discussed on Instagram fairly often and the insta crowd tends to be 25-35 or so, with many notable exceptions. Current young collectors seem to have intense focus on PCH, Cole covers and Timelys. 

To me, it’s not just BB 105 that is being hyped, it’s more or less all LB Cole covers in general. Recent auction results have yielded significant price increases compared to sales this time last year. Not a great time to just now be catching onto Cole. (He is and has been my favorite GA artist so I do appreciate that he is getting his just dues) 

12 minutes ago, jr81784 said:

I used the term “younger” only because I know this comic is shared and discussed on Instagram fairly often and the insta crowd tends to be 25-35 or so, with many notable exceptions. Current young collectors seem to have intense focus on PCH, Cole covers and Timelys. 

Yeah. You are not wrong. 

Point thanks for sharing that! It is much appreciated to get perspective like that.

I am so happy that you have finally found yourself a copy.  I feel like this is one of those books that one becomes that creepy stalker for :insane:

Over the last 5 years on eBay (saved searches) I've observed the following come up for sale and sell.  There is a definite shortage that comes to market that is without a doubt.

• 6 copies of Blue Bolt #102
  • 21 copies of Blue Bolt #103
  • 12 copies of Blue Bolt #104
  • 2 copies of Blue Bolt #105
  • 14 copies of Blue Bolt #106
  • 18 copies of Blue Bolt #107
  • 14 copies of Blue Bolt #108
  • 16 copies of Blue Bolt #109
  • 7 copies of Blue Bolt #110
  • 21 copies of Blue Bolt #111
  • 20 copies of Blue Bolt #112
  • 23 copies of Blue Bolt #113
  • 18 copies of Blue Bolt #114
  • 14 copies of Blue Bolt #115
  • 16 copies of Blue Bolt #116
  • 14 copies of Blue Bolt #117
  • 6 copies of Blue Bolt #118
  • 11 copies of Blue Bolt #119
Edited by bounty_coder

14 minutes ago, bounty_coder said:

Point thanks for sharing that! It is much appreciated to get perspective like that.

I am so happy that you have finally found yourself a copy.  I feel like this is one of those books that one becomes that creepy stalker for :insane:

Over the last 5 years on eBay (saved searches) I've observed the following come up for sale and sell.  There is a definite shortage that comes to market that is without a doubt.

Thanks right back. That is great data! Fascinating.

I know I've got one of those 7 copies of #110 you recorded. Was caught snoozing on some of the other issues though. Tougher than they used to be.

1 hour ago, bounty_coder said:

• 6 copies of Blue Bolt #102
  • 21 copies of Blue Bolt #103
  • 12 copies of Blue Bolt #104
  • 2 copies of Blue Bolt #105
  • 14 copies of Blue Bolt #106
  • 18 copies of Blue Bolt #107
  • 14 copies of Blue Bolt #108
  • 16 copies of Blue Bolt #109
  • 7 copies of Blue Bolt #110
  • 21 copies of Blue Bolt #111
  • 20 copies of Blue Bolt #112
  • 23 copies of Blue Bolt #113
  • 18 copies of Blue Bolt #114
  • 14 copies of Blue Bolt #115
  • 16 copies of Blue Bolt #116
  • 14 copies of Blue Bolt #117
  • 6 copies of Blue Bolt #118
  • 11 copies of Blue Bolt #119

Always interesting to see the stats.  I'm not sure that BB 105 is as scarce as the numbers here would indicate.  I'm suspicious that demand plays a part as well -- people are less likely to sell books they really like or that they have been more expensive for a long time and so are in the hands of collectors who would sell through dealers/auctions rather via their own ebay id.

3 hours ago, quicksilver said:

I'm pleased to say that I was the buyer on the HA 7.5 copy and I'm very much looking forward to seeing it in person...never thought I'd get one.

You got a gem:headbang:

4 hours ago, quicksilver said:

I'm pleased to say that I was the buyer on the HA 7.5 copy and I'm very much looking forward to seeing it in person...never thought I'd get one.

Awesome.:applause:Congrats!

It is  a incredible book. One of the best covers in the Golden Age. Congrats to everyone who has one.:applause: Wish I owned one myself. As far as scarcity it is a 1950's book and market scarce also. A combo of both. Anyone who has one doesn't want to sell if ever .  Just a awesome cover it has everything going for it.

7 hours ago, adamstrange said:

Always interesting to see the stats.  I'm not sure that BB 105 is as scarce as the numbers here would indicate.  I'm suspicious that demand plays a part as well -- people are less likely to sell books they really like or that they have been more expensive for a long time and so are in the hands of collectors who would sell through dealers/auctions rather via their own ebay id.

You could of course be right. But if #105 was recognized as the key cover long before now, I would then expect GPA to reflect that as some non-ebay copies would still be slabbed and sold, no? At the moment GPA only records three sales ever for #105... a 4.0 from 2009, an 8.0 from last year and the 7.5 from last month.

And if I'm entirely honest, I have always thought Blue Bolt #115 (grinning hairy skull cover) was the true breakout classic cover from the run, and I was super thrilled to land one many years ago. But compared to #105, #115 is actually surprisingly "common" -- GPA records 11 sales for #115 (vs 3 for #105), and bounty_coder has 14 ebay sales listed over five years (vs 2 for #105).

2 minutes ago, Point Five said:

You could of course be right. But if #105 was recognized as the key cover long before now, I would then expect GPA to reflect that as some non-ebay copies would still be slabbed and sold, no? At the moment GPA only records three sales ever for #105... a 4.0 from 2009, an 8.0 from last year and the 7.5 from last month.

It is featured on the dust jacket of Vol. 2 of the Golden Age Gerber, so it has been recognized as a great cover for a long time now.