• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avengers 4 CGC Purple: "cover cleaned and pressed"... 2nd EDIT: and the results from CGC... see new post...

36 posts in this topic

Forgot this detail about one of my books... Avengers #4, 9.4... with the restoration described as 'cover cleaned and pressed'.

Two questions:

1. I thought you could clean and press a comic, and it wouldn't affect the grade. Am I wrong about that?

2. If I'm not wrong, did CGC's standards on this change in the past 15-20 years? And might it be worth regrading?  (there's definitely a risk there, but the reward would be high)

EDIT: not a prrofessional photo, obviously LOL... just confirming the grade/comments...

IMG_2291.JPG

Edited by oldrover
clarification

6 minutes ago, oldrover said:

Forgot this detail about one of my books... Avengers #4, 9.4... with the restoration described as 'cover cleaned and pressed'.

Two questions:

1. I thought you could clean and press a comic, and it wouldn't affect the grade. Am I wrong about that?

2. If I'm not wrong, did CGC's standards on this change in the past 15-20 years? And might it be worth regrading?  (there's definitely a risk there, but the reward would be high)

EDIT: not a prrofessional photo, obviously LOL... just confirming the grade/comments...

IMG_2291.JPG

I would have it regarded. I also wouldn't care if it no longer said from the collection of nick cage.

3 hours ago, oldrover said:

If I'm not wrong, did CGC's standards on this change in the past 15-20 years? And might it be worth regrading?  (there's definitely a risk there, but the reward would be high)

This is an original label from CGC. Things have definitely changed since then. If I were you, I'd resubmit this book...

2 hours ago, oldrover said:

What about having them remove the restoration?

Please read joeypost's post about restoration removal below...

You do have some options, however:

You could send this book to CCS to have them evaluate it. After that, you could have CGC regrade and reslab it (hopefully with a new Conserved label). Be advised that the grade may change if it's regraded (sometimes not for the better!) 

You could send it to CGC and just have it reholdered. 

You could also leave it as it is---you still have a very desirable Near Mint book with only slight professional restoration.

Edited by The Lions Den

10 minutes ago, joeypost said:

Since the cover was cleaned, it cannot be undone or uncleaned. If the cleaning involved an aqueous bath it will come back conserved (which is my guess here). 

I've not seen a conserved label. How would that compare to Restored in terms of value?

33 minutes ago, oldrover said:

I've not seen a conserved label. How would that compare to Restored in terms of value?

You certainly don't need to apologize for asking questions.  :foryou:

Since the Conserved label is only awarded for books that've been professionally restored, I would guess they would fall somewhere in between the value of a purple and a blue label (perhaps someone here has had more experience selling books with Conserved labels and can contribute more to answering this question). Many times, certain types of restoration are viewed more favorably than others---this would also contribute or detract from their overall desirability and value. I personally believe your book would be more desirable because of what's been done---a simple clean and press. There's no color touch, no pieces replaced, no trimming, no tear seals, etc. Add to that the fact that it's in NM 9.4 and a key book, and you've got quite a few positives in your favor.

The reholdering process is very common and is basically exactly what it implies---the book is cracked out and put in a new holder with a new label. There is generally no regrade given unless the book is damaged in some way. The last I knew, the reholdering process was $15 plus postage...

Edited by The Lions Den
Additional info added

2 minutes ago, oldrover said:

What would the benefit of reholdering be?

You would get an updated holder with the current label improvements (there's no longer a top label on the outside of the holder, the new holder is sturdier than the older versions, and the grade and invoice number are much easier to see). The only real downside is the possibility of Newton rings (there are entire threads dedicated to this particular phenomenon and it's actually on Wikipedia as well). 

16 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

The only real downside is the possibility of Newton rings (there are entire threads dedicated to this particular phenomenon and it's actually on Wikipedia as well). 

Newton rings... I've had those... they're delicious!

fig newton rings.jpg

19 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

Please read joeypost's post about restoration removal below...

You do have some options, however:

1. You could send this book to CCS to have them evaluate it.

2. After that, you could have CGC regrade and reslab it (hopefully with a new Conserved label). Be advised that the grade may change if it's regraded (sometimes not for the better!) 

3. You could send it to CGC and just have it reholdered. 

4. You could also leave it as it is---you still have a very desirable Near Mint book with only slight professional restoration.

I chose the first. Then, depending on what they say, I can still do 2, 3 or 4.