• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC won't ship to California via FedEx?
2 2

22 posts in this topic

I was just filling out the online submission form and when I was choosing the return shipping method, it said CGC has temporarily stopped shipping to California via Fedex.

I'll call CGC Monday to get the scoop. But in the meantime, does anyone know what's up with this?

I saw the thread about CGC not allowing FedEx deliveries too be rerouted to FedEx locations and then picked up. But I couldn't find anything about this.

I just got off the phone with CGC and was informed that they have stopped shipping books to California via FedEx.  Apparently, a lot of books were stolen.

Anyone who had previously listed FedEx as the shipping selection will automatically have the book shipped Registered Mail instead.  (I'm assuming at cost to you of course).

14 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

Fedex sucks.  

How come this never makes news about companies not using FEDEX because drivers don't ring the bell,  drop and run and don't get signatures like they are supposed to?

I've had terrible experiences with UPS and USPS here in Los Angeles. FedEx has been much more reliable for me. Certified mail is crazy expensive.

On top of that I just had a USPS package refused by CGC that's being sent back to me. I assume it's for some kind of damage. I packed it myself and it wasn't even some flimsy USPS box. It was good old 200 lb test. Can't wait to see what happened to the box.

Ah, the joys of collecting comic books! 

FedEx boned me on my cgc last time in CA too. 

They returned it to cgc claiming non delivery.  I never got a notice and we were home nearly all day.

i had to pay for new shipping.

awful.

and no help from the Cgc ss facilitator who shipped it via fedex.

If they don't allow Fedex to California then maybe they should just cancel Fedex being an option period. I have Insurance and I want my books shipped back to me with my own Fedex account. Here is an idea instead of monkeying around with shipping how about putting this energy to fixing your Newton Ring problem, 

Edited by JWKyle

Why does CGC care if FedEx is "losing" books or having them stolen? CGC is not responsible after they leave their facility, correct? Isn't this between the submitter and FedEx to sort out? That's what insurance is for. I for one would prefer to take my chances with FedEx than the USPS. 

Why can't the delivery driver photographed the slip on your door for proof he was there, and or better yet even photograph the package he leaves at your door. The drivers that deliver where I work do it all the time ,they take pictures of the stuff they're dropping off for proof that they delivered it, the picture has the GPS address where it was dropped 

On 9/7/2018 at 3:40 AM, LordRahl said:

Why does CGC care if FedEx is "losing" books or having them stolen? CGC is not responsible after they leave their facility, correct? Isn't this between the submitter and FedEx to sort out? That's what insurance is for. I for one would prefer to take my chances with FedEx than the USPS. 

That was my thought.

And to expand a little, if a company the size of CGC who grade and ship about 250,000 books a year, doesn't ship to one of the wealthiest, most populated states in the US and probably top 2 for market share (for old automotive dudes, you'll remember that California was such a big market that they used to have their own emission standards that all Auto manufacturers needed to comply with, while the other states having a separate set) then there is probably theft going on that is sizeable enough that it would be worth local and Federal law enforcement to look into.

On 9/6/2018 at 5:42 PM, Ghost Town said:
On 9/6/2018 at 5:08 PM, blazingbob said:

Fedex sucks.  

How come this never makes news about companies not using FEDEX because drivers don't ring the bell,  drop and run and don't get signatures like they are supposed to?

I've had terrible experiences with UPS and USPS here in Los Angeles. FedEx has been much more reliable for me. Certified mail is crazy expensive.

On top of that I just had a USPS package refused by CGC that's being sent back to me. I assume it's for some kind of damage. I packed it myself and it wasn't even some flimsy USPS box. It was good old 200 lb test. Can't wait to see what happened to the box.

Ah, the joys of collecting comic books! 

I find that all companies have their good and bad.

For every Fed Ex shipment that there is a problem you will find a complaint for a mail carrier or UPS.

But over all, my experiences with Fed Ex have eclipsed services offered by any other (although my local mail carriers have generally been pretty awesome as well).

Most problems I've experienced are generally related to the person you deal with and not the company.

These new measures with Fed Ex that CGC is taking though, first with not allowing redirect and now with Fed Ex shipments to California sound not only ominous in the grand scheme but also a band-aid symptom to a much larger problem.

Where is the theft happening? At end user's door? Somewhere within the Fed Ex system?

These are questions that if word gets out to the general public (or news media) will paint Fed Ex in an extremely negative light.

If one of the world's largest couriers has such a problem with theft that a multimillion dollar corporation like CGC can't use them then that is a problem of biblical proportions that not only affects CGC but anyone else that ships items of value regularly.

I'd be curious to know if PMG and NGC still use Fed Ex.

2 minutes ago, shadroch said:

Are you sure it's not because the fires are causing disruptions with their logistics? I've gotten several emails warning of possible delays or disruptions from vendors in So Cal.

On 9/6/2018 at 5:01 PM, ExNihilo said:

I just got off the phone with CGC and was informed that they have stopped shipping books to California via FedEx.  Apparently, a lot of books were stolen.

Anyone who had previously listed FedEx as the shipping selection will automatically have the book shipped Registered Mail instead.  (I'm assuming at cost to you of course).

On 9/6/2018 at 5:08 PM, blazingbob said:

Fedex sucks.  

I paid FedEx USD $500+ to have a shipment from Mexico (weighed 45lbs) delivered to me to Canada overnight. I heard excuse after excuse. The biggest issue was they tried to blame it on customs, when in actual fact it never moved from their Texas hub. Most concerning is at one point they didn't even know where it was. They were using the "customs hold" as a way to divest themselves of any responsibility for the delay, and in hopes I would relent and not cite their shipment guarantee. But I logged every call, person I spoke to, at what time I spoke to them, what I was being told, and made sure they compensated me for the full amount AFTER the parcel arrived a week later.

I won't use FedEx.

7 minutes ago, shadroch said:

Are you sure it's not because the fires are causing disruptions with their logistics? I've gotten several emails warning of possible delays or disruptions from vendors in So Cal.

When I had the issue with my parcel, I had done numerous searches online to see if I was possibly the only person experiencing the issue. There were online conversations happening in real-time explaining issues with their Texas hub. Many of them included parcels disappearing and/or not moving once they arrived at the Fedex hub, in some cases for weeks. Whenever I would speak to FedEx people, no matter how high up, not one of them would admit there was any issue, and what was worse is they were making up reasons for the delay. I would explain to them there were people talking about it right on Twitter or Facebook, and they would still say their system didn't show any issue.