• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USPS using GPS tracking!
1 1

17 posts in this topic

Last Friday, I had a package marked delivered, yet I was home and checked my mailbox minutes after the mail person had delivered the mail.  This isn't uncommon for my carrier to scan the package and deliver it the next day.  When this does happen, I just would pick up the package on Saturday morning.  That is what I did, however this time the mail person was adamant that the package was left in my mail box.  I stated that was impossible as my box was locked and I literally picked up the mail right after you left my building.  After some request, the Supervisor did a GPS search and informed me that the package was scanned in my area but not at my exact location.   Of course that is when he asked if I had insurance on the package.  He knew it was misdelivered.    The point of the post isn't really about my missing package, which after posting some flyers in other buildings it was returned to me.  I just wanted others to know that they may be able to get more detailed information about where their package was physically scanned and perhaps recover it easier.  Or maybe be able to collect on insurance.  

So, when did USPS get GPS location tracking?  Now can we use that to file insurance claims DESPITE the tracking information stating delivered?   I am curious because I have had many problems with missing packages and only one of them was a stolen package.  The others, I truly believe were misdelivered packages as I live in a large garden apartment complex.  Hopefully, this information will help other members here.

Something similar happened to me a couple of months ago.

Package showed as delivered, but I didn't receive it.  I went to my local Post Office, and they were able to print out a map with the exact location where the the package was delivered. 

One of the things that they should do is stop scanning packages as delivered and then actually delivering them a day later.  That happened this week and I wasted time arguing with people that I had not received the package that was marked delivered.  I received it the next day. 

2 hours ago, nocutename said:

Last Friday, I had a package marked delivered, yet I was home and checked my mailbox minutes after the mail person had delivered the mail.  This isn't uncommon for my carrier to scan the package and deliver it the next day.  When this does happen, I just would pick up the package on Saturday morning.  That is what I did, however this time the mail person was adamant that the package was left in my mail box.  I stated that was impossible as my box was locked and I literally picked up the mail right after you left my building.  After some request, the Supervisor did a GPS search and informed me that the package was scanned in my area but not at my exact location.   Of course that is when he asked if I had insurance on the package.  He knew it was misdelivered.    The point of the post isn't really about my missing package, which after posting some flyers in other buildings it was returned to me.  I just wanted others to know that they may be able to get more detailed information about where their package was physically scanned and perhaps recover it easier.  Or maybe be able to collect on insurance.  

So, when did USPS get GPS location tracking?  Now can we use that to file insurance claims DESPITE the tracking information stating delivered?   I am curious because I have had many problems with missing packages and only one of them was a stolen package.  The others, I truly believe were misdelivered packages as I live in a large garden apartment complex.  Hopefully, this information will help other members here.

When the carrier scans the package using their handheld scanner it is recording the GPS coordinates.  The post office is generally not very forthcoming with those coordinates if they lose something.  Took me awhile on one package for them to admit that there was none even though the package was scanned "delivered" from a "missed you note".  Seems that they left the package at another work location (Same company) a few miles away.  After this incident I complete changed my shipping rules as far as work locations go since mail rooms can sign for multiple packages without the individual item being scanned.  Or your package and other shippers items can be left for a person under the same "missed you" note.

You also need to be very careful about signatures.  Most carriers take signatures to mean "anybody".  They can leave and get your package signed by a doorman,  stranger on the street.  The only carrier that has a "Restricted Adult" signature is the post office and they hate it.  It means the only person that can sign for it is the person it is addressed to.   

The bottom line to ALL the carriers is to get the package out of the truck.  Multiple attempts cost money, space and time.  

For those out there who want their packages delivered to work with a mail room.  If your mail room loses it paypal considers it delivered if signed for.  Especially if that is the address in the paypal payment.  

Edited by blazingbob

As well intentioned as this may seem, scanning the items GPS location at its final destination point is only as effective as the carrier ONLY marking it delivered when it's actually delivered. If there are cases of them scanning packages delivered (which I can attest has happened in my experience) when they are still in the posession of the carrier, it doesn't inspire confidence that every GPS scan will be accurate.

1 hour ago, blazingbob said:

The bottom line to ALL the carriers is to get the package out of the truck.  Multiple attempts cost money, space and time.

I think it's also worth pointing out that mail service is a 'bulk' service and a certain percentage of failure is probably factored into the service.

Millions of packages arrive properly but the few 1000's that don't make the news.

Unfortunately, those few 1000's of mistakes were probably factored into the business model.

If people want better, more accurate service it's going to cost more. Probably a lot more.

This isn't a criticism of your post in any way. Simply a post to help people realize that if they don't want a single package lost or damaged mail service would be a lot more expensive.

re: carriers scanning packages as delivered before they actually are

Is this something that is taught to new carriers? IOW - is this something that is not only acceptable, but an actual practiced procedure used by the USPS (and others)?

One last question ... why do carriers do this?Does it have some kind of affect on their pay? ...or length of workday?

@blazingbob  Thanks for all the information.  I never get packages delivered to work because of this reason.  My post office has changed carriers again and that is when I experience a lot of mail issues.  I am getting to the point of just getting a PO box.  I am just too cheap to do it.

@gaard

In my case, I believe the carriers pre-scan the package when it becomes too late for them to deliver it.  Then I will receive it the next day.  It has been working like this in my area for over a year now.     When my package is scanned delivered and it is after 6:30 PM, I assume it is a prescan.  At least that is how it was working.  Now the carriers are working past 6:30 PM in my complex.  It is crazy how long they are working these days.

So if the package is scanned as delivered, it counts as actually being delivered. And the supervisor (I don't know what they're called in the USPS) knows that even though it's been scanned, it doesn't really mean it's been delivered?

I wonder if there is some kind of check of the little mail truck at the end of the day making sure it's empty. Or if the mailman has to sign (or initial) any kind of document at the end of the day. Accountability ... someone has to be accountable.

5 hours ago, nocutename said:

I am getting to the point of just getting a PO box.  I am just too cheap to do it.

With the global awareness that comics are now valuable, I think that this should be something most people think about if carriers continue to underperform.

Unfair and unprofessional? Sure.

But you do what you gotta do...at least until there is enough of an uproar for things to change.

I imagine if someone wanted to lead the charge with documented cases, a case could be presented to carrier companies in an effort to change things but it won't happen as long as people just vent on a chat forum.

The reason for the scan is that upper management wants all scans cleared every day--there is basically no room for failure..If a parcel was missorted early in the morning and does not get delivered, then it has to be scanned something. As of now there are no options on the scanner for a "postponed" delivery...Usually it is scanned delivered (when actually it is isn't-it will go out the next day) or it is scanned vacation hold--which it will go out the next day as well.  Don't blame the carrier even though some substitute carriers make mis deliveries...we are all human...The issue  is upper management...and the system itself is flawed.

Edited by EC Phanatic
grammur

6 hours ago, EC Phanatic said:

The reason for the scan is that upper management wants all scans cleared every day--there is basically no room for failure..If a parcel was missorted early in the morning and does not get delivered, then it has to be scanned something. As of now there are no options on the scanner for a "postponed" delivery...Usually it is scanned delivered (when actually it is isn't-it will go out the next day) or it is scanned vacation hold--which it will go out the next day as well.  Don't blame the carrier even though some substitute carriers make mis deliveries...we are all human...The issue  is upper management...and the system itself is flawed.

Let me see if I get this ...

Upper management knows that even though a package is scanned as 'delivered', it doesn't necessarily mean that it has been delivered? This isn't something the public is supposed to know? ...all these threads concerning a 'lost' packages has yielded, to my memory, ZERO times of the person being informed of this.

- not dissing you, just trying to figure out how the USPS system works.

14 hours ago, EC Phanatic said:

I want to reinforce something I've said in the past.

1st, when I said carriers in my previous post, I meant the carrier companies not the personal carriers themselves.

I've long since held the belief that being a carrier is a tough job and I've respected the heck out of those who carry mail and parcels day in and day out.

I also understand about the pressures that large corporations put on their employees and respect that it's often an impossible situation. I've been there.

If you what are saying is actually the way it is, some boardroom somewhere decided that it would be a good idea to label all packages as delivered to look good on paper and to the shareholders and something like that always backfires in the long run.

Edited by VintageComics

2 hours ago, VintageComics said:

I want to reinforce something I've said in the past.

1st, when I said carriers in my previous post, I meant the carrier companies not the personal carriers themselves.

I've long since held the belief that being a carrier is a tough job and I've respected the heck out of those who carry mail and parcels day in and day out.

I also understand about the pressures that large corporations put on their employees and respect that it's often an impossible situation. I've been there.

If you what are saying is actually the way it is, some boardroom somewhere decided that it would be a good idea to label all packages as delivered to look good on paper and to the shareholders and something like that always backfires in the long run.

This here.  From my own experience of FedEx pulling a non-delivery delivery of a Hulk 181 (their response -- "oh, um, yeah, it'll be there tomorrow"), I wouldn't be shocked at all if they were cooking the books.

I had a package show up as delivered very early in the morning and never got it, went to my local PO and they checked into it.... Come to find out the new temporary help had scanned every package when loading the truck, I guess to save time, so later it did show up.  I guess they checked the GPS?  My regular Mailman is amazing and a throwback to the old days, but the temporary help is hit or miss.

But on the bright side.."supposedly" every parcel that is scanned is immediately photographed by a computer. This way we have actual pics of the barcode and parcel as it is scanned in the morning.  With GPS, we can locate a missed delivered parcel--that is, we can pull up a map on the computer and it will show us exactly where the scan(s) of the item took place.. I had a customer once who said she never got a small parcel that I delivered. The supervisor and I looked it up and it showed scanned delivered right by her box--so I had delivered it to her box...The next day she calls and says it was in her box-she didn't reach further enough to touch it....The USPS has some made some progress but still has a long way to go if we even exist anymore in the coming years.