• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New here and Kickstarter Question.

5 posts in this topic

Greetings!

I just started collecting and noticed a lot of comics on Kickstarter. In general have you found that they hold their value better if they are "Exclusive KS Varients?"

I know having them signed and graded helps.

I have added 2 examples I'm interested in.  In Comics Comics they have some varient covers that are exclusive.  Squarriors has Oversized Hardcover Exclusives. 

I guess, what I'm getting at... Is it worth it to get it now and know it's kept mint, or wait until some hopefully hit the used market and buy them for less? 

Thanks in advance!

Mike

Examples: 

No clue. 

Here's how I'd figure it out though if I wanted to... 

Look at completed sales on eBay with keyword "kickstarter", see what has sold for lots. 

Im seeing some Lady Death, some Grimm Fairy, and some other stuff that falls into the T&A "comix" catagory, but not much else sell for big money. 

Then go see if you can figure our what the donation level was to get those books in the first place and see if they were increasing in value. (The books I saw that were sold for $100-200 might have come at the donation level where they were costing $100-200 for all I know)

Neither of the ones you posted seem to fall into that T&A comix catagory, so odds of them being of investment value is a longshot. 

For kickstarter, invest in what you love, if it happens to pop, awesome, if not well you still have a book you loved that you helped bring into the world in your small way. 

Buy because you think you are going to get $__ of enjoyment out of it. Trying to make money on this stuff is worse than buying scratch off tickets with a $500 prize cap. Buy enough and you may accidentally make money on a couple, but the rest, not so much.

Edited by the blob

On 9/10/2018 at 3:55 PM, MikeS82 said:

Greetings!

I just started collecting and noticed a lot of comics on Kickstarter. In general have you found that they hold their value better if they are "Exclusive KS Varients?"

I know having them signed and graded helps.

I have added 2 examples I'm interested in.  In Comics Comics they have some varient covers that are exclusive.  Squarriors has Oversized Hardcover Exclusives. 

I guess, what I'm getting at... Is it worth it to get it now and know it's kept mint, or wait until some hopefully hit the used market and buy them for less? 

Thanks in advance!

Mike

Examples: 

Who would win in a fight between Aunt May and Colossus?