• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

November HA OA auction
3 3

493 posts in this topic

Just now, delekkerste said:

It includes a 23% BP - hammer price was 95K GBP, which was the reserve.

Ok, so approximately $152k for that page...give or take depending on the exchange rate at the time of payment. 

2 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

however, the artwork ending on Friday’s live bidding is Stoopid-cheap.  And yes, I know there’s nearly two weeks to go, but the vast majority of Friday’s offerings sit at 20-30% of FMV.

is there a good way to sort to just see the Friday offerings?

3 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Sweet deal!  I like the Spidey/Doc Ock much more than the Spidey 18 page on Heritage 👍🏻

Yeah, the ASM 18 page seems...vapory.  Unless the current high bidder is reading this, in case well done, chum. 

10 hours ago, comix4fun said:
10 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

- Gulacy MOKF 51 cvr = $19K

I agree with the Cardy and Romita early bidding as being high but I think this one is sitting at about 1/2 of what the owner (or previous owner) was offered.

Who and where are these Gulacy MOKF fans coming from?  I was a big MOKF fan back in the day, but when I refer to the series to collectors of a similar age, whom I assume are the ones spending big on pieces from this period, it's crickets.  They just look at me like I'm insane because it's not Spider-Man, X-Men, Wolverine or Spider-Man.    

10 hours ago, delekkerste said:

We've already determined that the OA market is relatively unaffected by near-term fluctuations in stock prices, but, can be affected by persistent weakness in the stock market, with a 6-12 month lag. 

Do try to keep up. :baiting: 

Then why are European collectors big players, given that their stock market has been in the doldrums for 10+ 18 years (or so I'm told by someone here)?  

Edited by tth2

26 minutes ago, tth2 said:

Then why are European collectors big players, given that their stock market has been in the doldrums for 10+ 18 years (or so I'm told by someone here)?  

That's a loaded question.  It presumes that the stock market is a/the primary source of funds for OA spending (it's not) and also makes it seem like European buying is a bigger driver of prices than it actually is.

Ultimately, bursting asset bubbles and poor demographics are why those Japanese and European stock indexes are still underwater after so many years.  The question people should be asking is whether the same could eventually happen to our hobby or whether prices are destined to remain on an upward trajectory forever. #thetrendisyourfrienduntilitends #demographyisdestiny #nothinglastsforever

Edited by delekkerste

30 minutes ago, tth2 said:

Who and where are these Gulacy MOKF fans coming from?  I was a big MOKF fan back in the day, but when I refer to the series to collectors of a similar age, whom I assume are the ones spending big on pieces from this period, it's crickets.  They just look at me like I'm insane because it's not Spider-Man, X-Men, Wolverine or Spider-Man.    

There are only a small handful of Gulacy covers in that run, so it doesn't take many folks who want one to drive the market way up. 

1 hour ago, tth2 said:

Are you talking to comic guys?  There are plenty of art collectors who buy OA they appreciate but which aren't necessarily from popular comic series to collect.  

8 hours ago, tth2 said:

Something interesting happened to me this week concerning European vs US collectors, I'm downsizing my collection, and put up about a dozen pieces, including  5 or 6 EC pages. Now because of the size and the fact I like things simple I put them up for sale on 2Dgalleries, the European counterpart of CAF, thinking they would sell in Europe, easier to ship, using bank transfer in Europe etc...

Well the first 5 pieces I sold all went to US buyers (including 2 EC pages) who managed find them anyway (:

No problem of course, I would sell to a collector in the Tibetan Plateau but where are these "European buyers" ? :sorry:

Edited by chromium

13 hours ago, delekkerste said:

That's a loaded question.  It presumes that the stock market is a/the primary source of funds for OA spending (it's not) and also makes it seem like European buying is a bigger driver of prices than it actually is.

Ultimately, bursting asset bubbles and poor demographics are why those Japanese and European stock indexes are still underwater after so many years.  The question people should be asking is whether the same could eventually happen to our hobby or whether prices are destined to remain on an upward trajectory forever. #thetrendisyourfrienduntilitends #demographyisdestiny #nothinglastsforever

Nothing lasts forever and OA prices and GA prices will come down...look at stamps for instance...40 years ago vs today where only the most important pieces have retained any value whatsoever. What kids collect stamps today and when  as adults can spend disposable income? I think the real issue is whether it will ever happen in the next five years. You have to ask yourself how many new big players are in the market and how many are leaving vs coming in. It seems the age demo is getting older and older, just look at pulp collectors..and pulp con collectors, those prices have gone nowhere, Dime novels of many moons ago, record collecting etc. My primary concern  is getting "young" blood true comic book and OA collectors not speculationrs who will run away the minute the market makes a downturn for a significant time period.

I think that is the answer, the day the majority of the collectors  and investors want to buy something because it will be worth more later in time and not for the art itself which changes the the collectable into a widget and the day when the wind blows downward it will be the beginning of the end of the upward trajectory. Who has made these prices rise? so fast and never down for long? is it the true collector or the investor or the dealer selling to another dealer.  Food for thought.

52 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

Nothing lasts forever and OA prices and GA prices will come down...look at stamps for instance...40 years ago vs today where only the most important pieces have retained any value whatsoever. What kids collect stamps today and when  as adults can spend disposable income?

Can you Mitch, or anyone ,speak to stamp values?   I'm quite interested in the values today vs that 40 years ago number as I was generally aware of a deflation there but have no specific knowledge of it - would be interested to hear more. 

Whenever stamp collecting comes up I'm almost always reminded about that great Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn movie, Charade.  But back on target, I'm following about 20 items this auction and have no idea how prices compare.  Couple nice Jim Lee pieces, but not the ones for me.  Also really excited to see Tony Daniel's nice Batman page doing fairly well.  I also like Tony Daniel, so there.

Stamps are in a bad way, no doubt about that. There used to be philatelist shops and shows everywhere in the 80s. Now I dont know of anyone under the age of 50 collecting. i collect certain types of coins so i still go to coin shows, only the few old men in the corners even sell stamps anymore, and i never see anyone buy. Coin collecting also is suffering, but nothing like stamps.

25 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

Stamps are in a bad way, no doubt about that. There used to be philatelist shops and shows everywhere in the 80s. Now I dont know of anyone under the age of 50 collecting. i collect certain types of coins so i still go to coin shows, only the few old men in the corners even sell stamps anymore, and i never see anyone buy. Coin collecting also is suffering, but nothing like stamps.

That makes perfect sense, given that I just inherited thousands of stamps......awesome. 

45 minutes ago, Andahaion said:

Whenever stamp collecting comes up I'm almost always reminded about that great Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn movie, Charade.  But back on target, I'm following about 20 items this auction and have no idea how prices compare.  Couple nice Jim Lee pieces, but not the ones for me.  Also really excited to see Tony Daniel's nice Batman page doing fairly well.  I also like Tony Daniel, so there.