Share your STEVE DITKO OA
1 1

53 posts in this topic

On 9/27/2018 at 5:20 PM, Timely said:

Not my pic, but I do wonder if the collector who took that pic had the guts to knock. hm

Looks like one of the photos my 21 year old daughter took. I asked her to bring a birthday cake to Ditko in November 2017. I've been corresponding with Ditko for a couple years and thought it would be a nice gesture. The security guard on the first floor let her in but warned that he will only see you for a few seconds. He's on the 6th floor. My daughter knocked on the door but no answer at first. A couple seconds later she heard shuffling and the door opened and there was Steve. She told him "my dad is a big fan of yours and he just wanted me to bring you this birthday cake." He said, " I don't talk to people and I don't want a birthday cake and he shut the door." A neighbor then came out from an adjoining apartment and told my daughter not to feel bad because he doesn't talk to anybody but at least he opened the door for you. She wound up giving the cake to a homeless person outside.    

Steve Ditko apt.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ameri said:

Looks like one of the photos my 21 year old daughter took. I asked her to bring a birthday cake to Ditko in November 2017. I've been corresponding with Ditko for a couple years and thought it would be a nice gesture. The security guard on the first floor let her in but warned that he will only see you for a few seconds. He's on the 6th floor. My daughter knocked on the door but no answer at first. A couple seconds later she heard shuffling and the door opened and there was Steve. She told him "my dad is a big fan of yours and he just wanted me to bring you this birthday cake." He said, " I don't talk to people and I don't want a birthday cake and he shut the door." A neighbor then came out from an adjoining apartment and told my daughter not to feel bad because he doesn't talk to anybody but at least he opened the door for you. She wound up giving the cake to a homeless person outside.    

Steve Ditko apt.jpg

I actually took the same picture probably close to 10 years ago. I am not sure if this is my pic or not. I did start a thread on these boards about how I actually met him and shook his hand. I actually went back about 3 more times and took a couple of boardies to meet him, including Greggy. :grin: The last time I saw him was probably 2 to 3 years ago. He was actually very nice to me, we spoke for about 30 mins or so.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe he was just having a bad day the day my daughter showed up and she is not a comic book collector. She told me the story and the photo above is the shot of the door that she took. Since I wasn't there, I can't really say anything but relate what she told me. All I can say is that I've had very nice correspondences from Steve over the years. Here's one where he talks about this page from Beyond the Grave.

20160614_222432b.jpg

ditko beyond the grave1a.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ameri said:

Maybe he was just having a bad day the day my daughter showed up and she is not a comic book collector. She told me the story and the photo above is the shot of the door that she took. Since I wasn't there, I can't really say anything but relate what she told me. All I can say is that I've had very nice correspondences from Steve over the years. Here's one where he talks about this page from Beyond the Grave.

20160614_222432b.jpg

ditko beyond the grave1a.JPG

Very nice Frank. Ditko was certainly prompt in writing back to fans. I was thankful to exchange three letters with him in 2015. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a piece to my daughter's story that I forgot to mention or maybe I chose to forget. I emphasized to her that she needs to go up there alone, but she brought her boyfriend, probably to impress him or whatever. I really didn't want to crowd a 90 year old man with extra people but that part didn't bother me too too much. What bothered me was finding out that the boyfriend brought a Spiderman poster. That was a big no no in my book, but the kid would not have known that. Innocently, perhaps he wanted to get it signed for himself or for me and that might have not gone over well with Steve and the visit ended quickly. She told me everything went so quick and there was no opportunity to even talk about the poster, but maybe Steve saw it and that was the end of that.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mr_highgrade said:

A boardie that came with me one time, offered Steve a thousand bucks per signature, and he politely declined it.

Because that meant EVERY guy who came to his door with $1000 and a pen he'd have to sign for.:ohnoez:

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Timely said:

Because that meant EVERY guy who came to his door with $1000 and a pen he'd have to sign for.:ohnoez:

Right I can see his point there, it isn't about the money and he just wanted his privacy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Timely said:

I think 99.9% of the population thinks differently than Ditko did on many key points. So to me, that makes him an interesting fellow.  I know I would have done things differently than he did, but each person has their own path to take.

I dont think you can get 99.9% of the population to agree the sky is blue or that water is wet lol.

Link to post
Share on other sites

So I did a breakdown of all the Ditko Spider-Man art.  I'm sharing this because some might find it useful or at least interesting.

There are 42 comic books total with Ditko Spider-Man art: Amazing Fantasy #15, ASM #1-38, ASM Annual #1 & 2 & Strange Tales Annual #2

Total number of Spider-Man Ditko pieces: 897

Total number of Spider-Man Ditko covers: 42

Total number of Spider-Man Ditko pages: 826

Total number of Spider-Man Ditko pin-ups: 29

Total number of Spider-Man Ditko pages without Spider-Man on it: 152

Total number of Spider-Man Ditko pages with Spider-Man on it: 674

Total number of Spider-Man Ditko pages with Spider-Man on it in action or in battle: 531

Total number of Spider-Man Ditko full splash pages with Spider-Man on it: 45

Total number of Spider-Man Ditko 1/3 splash pages with Spider-Man on it: 87

Total number of Spider-Man Ditko 1/4, 1/2 & 2/3 splash pages with Spider-Man on it: 13

 

Edited by Timely
error
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
1 1